I found another crazy deal and am having a hard time fighting the urge to buy...

evilg99

Platinum Member
Damnit , too late to this thread and I could have helped, being a guy who used to have Oak Customs and currently owns both Live Customs and Club Customs...my Club Customs are the same sizes as yours, in black swirl.

I would have suggested you do exactly what you did. Yes, the Club Customs really are tonally different than the Oaks or the Maples. Great choice. Now sell those Oaks!

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to find a small maple or birch kit...you know , 18/12/14 or 20/12/14 kinda thing - just for something different.

Betcha can't do for less than $600....:)

Neal

Dutch

Damnit , too late to this thread and I could have helped, being a guy who used to have Oak Customs and currently owns both Live Customs and Club Customs...my Club Customs are the same sizes as yours, in black swirl.

I would have suggested you do exactly what you did. Yes, the Club Customs really are tonally different than the Oaks or the Maples. Great choice. Now sell those Oaks!

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to find a small maple or birch kit...you know , 18/12/14 or 20/12/14 kinda thing - just for something different.

Neal
I think the Yamaha SC bop in 18/12/14 (see my avatar) is under $500 in the US... And it comes reommended!

Dutch

SgtThump

Platinum Member

Neal
There you are! I was waiting for you to chime in along with the other fans of Yamaha drums! lol

Yeah man, I thought about this Club Custom set for at least a week. Made a trip or two there (it's right down the road from work) to look at them and just tried and tried to fight the urge. I caved and I gotta say I'm very glad I did!

I have a coated PS3 batter head sitting here that I may try on the set today. Just to add more to that vintage-style flare.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Good to hear you're diggin' them.

If the PS3 coated head is brand new, I would caution you before putting it on if you haven't tried one before. I find they take away a lot of sound, I much much much prefer the clear PS3. But if you like the coated PS3 thing, by all means....if you're not sure, go try and find one and play it....and then exchange the unplayed coated PS3 if you prefer the clear as well. Just sayin....bass drum head ain't cheap.

Neal

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Good to hear you're diggin' them.

If the PS3 coated head is brand new, I would caution you before putting it on if you haven't tried one before. I find they take away a lot of sound, I much much much prefer the clear PS3. But if you like the coated PS3 thing, by all means....if you're not sure, go try and find one and play it....and then exchange the unplayed coated PS3 if you prefer the clear as well. Just sayin....bass drum head ain't cheap.

Neal
It's funny you say that, because I've tried this coated PS3 on several sets and never liked it enough to keep it on. I'll probably try it on this set too, but my findings match yours with this head.

Same thing with an SK1 I have here. Had a Fibes maple kit where the SK1 sounded awesome. Bought another one to try on various kits and it just doesn't work for me on those. Weird.

ronyd

Silver Member
shit yeah!!

I have absolute birch set. I got a Mapex ProM natural maple used that was like new and great for cheap money. Then came along the same deal Custom Oak set you got. Was a no brainer. Sold the Mapex and got the custom oak.

Should have kept the Mapex since I am using the oak kit as an electronic kit. If it works out, then a cheapy set will be the electronic set, and I'll have my Oak setup back to acoustic.

evilg99

Platinum Member
It's funny you say that, because I've tried this coated PS3 on several sets and never liked it enough to keep it on. I'll probably try it on this set too, but my findings match yours with this head.

Same thing with an SK1 I have here. Had a Fibes maple kit where the SK1 sounded awesome. Bought another one to try on various kits and it just doesn't work for me on those. Weird.
I agree- the SK 1 can work on certain drums but I'm slowly changing over to clear PS3 , regardless of the size. It works really well as a batter on every drum I've tried. I can then alter reso heads, ports/ felt strips, small pillow, small piece of foam etc as required. On bigger drums, I am a fan of both the Fiberskyn with a small port and also the Aquarian Modern Vintage -oh yeah and the Yamaha Powerstroke 3 or 4 (can't remember) smooth white reso head too. Experiment!
I always get the drum to project more with a higher pitched reso...

Neal

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I agree- the SK 1 can work on certain drums but I'm slowly changing over to clear PS3 , regardless of the size. It works really well as a batter on every drum I've tried. I can then alter reso heads, ports/ felt strips, small pillow, small piece of foam etc as required. On bigger drums, I am a fan of both the Fiberskyn with a small port and also the Aquarian Modern Vintage -oh yeah and the Yamaha Powerstroke 3 or 4 (can't remember) smooth white reso head too. Experiment!
I always get the drum to project more with a higher pitched reso...

Neal
I struggle more with the bass drum than anything else. Drives me insane sometimes. I used to be that way with snares too, but I'm figuring those out (thank God)

gretsch-o-rama

If I was into Yamaha, this would be a kit I'd have...I've heard them A/B'd next to a USA Gretsch and it's hard to tell the difference tone wise, which is awesome! Congrats!

A-customs

Silver Member
Love the new score..Ive been looking at these lately too .Absolutely love that finish in the back of your car with the sun on them,they look amazing. Yamaha's Rock man.......

SgtThump

Platinum Member
If I was into Yamaha, this would be a kit I'd have...I've heard them A/B'd next to a USA Gretsch and it's hard to tell the difference tone wise, which is awesome! Congrats!
I know there's a video on YouTube comparing them. Did you hear them in person side-by-side too? I'm curious!

SgtThump

Platinum Member
And thanks everyone! I'm digging the heck out of the Club Customs! What a killer tone.

I don't have experience with real vintage Gretsch kits, so I can't compare their tone. I do get the "vintage tone" on this kit, though. That's for sure.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Great score Sarge. I'm eagerly waiting for the video of these babies. I am intrigued by the Club Customs as I love Yamaha and vintage drums. Apparently these are supposed to be a modern take on vintage drums, I'm curious to see how close they are to getting that vintage vibe.

When you get a moment to take the heads off I'd love to see a shot of the inside and the edges. Good job negotiatin' too and congrats again on the purchase.
Hey man, sorry it took a bit. These pics may not really help you out either, but it's all I have right now. (at least I remembered!)

Attachments

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Thanks Sarge. Looks like a fully rounded edge, from what I've been told by a certain English drum builder, that is the best edge for a short, vintage tone. Is it the camera or do those plies look really porous?

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Thanks Sarge. Looks like a fully rounded edge, from what I've been told by a certain English drum builder, that is the best edge for a short, vintage tone. Is it the camera or do those plies look really porous?
This kit has a totally different shell wood and bearing edges from my other Yamaha kit, but it's hard to say how much of all of that contributes to the tonal difference. All of it, I guess.

This definitely sounds more "vintage" than my other kit, that's for sure. Very nice contrast of tones!

The wood does seem really porous. It's super smooth when you run your hand over the bearing edges, but yeah.