I feel so ashamed

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Last night at the jam I played drums to Smoke On The Water.
It was the first time I ever played that song.

Then I went home and listened to the original version.
Then I realized last night I played it like Keith Moon.

I feel so ashamed..............

(But it was so much fun)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I had a drummer buddy who went to Japan for a few years to play music with a few groups. Apparently, the youth of Japan was literally obsessed with that song to the point where they had to play it more than once per night if they wanted to get called back for another gig at the establishment.

He said he was really sick of that song and wanted to never play it again.

braincramp

Gold Member
Sounds like alot of fun.. got to do this live at a bar gig with my sub band It was at the end of the night, one of those party atmospheres and some drunk kept yelling "smoke on the water" while another yelled "freebird" (we were south of the mason dixon line) we appeased both and had way too much fun doing so.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
That sounds very cool actually. Nothing to be ashamed of, so long as you added rather than subtracted from the vibe.

Just for the record:

I am in the house band. And there was a guy beating the $*!%^& heck out of my drums.
Then I was asked to play the last few songs of the night.
So I decided it was only fair for me to play my own drums as hard as everyone else does.

I played nicely in the groove while the singer was singing. Eight notes on the floor tom, quarter notes on the bass and a nice crack on the snare for the 2 and 4.
And I filled in the chorus, bridge and guitar solos with Keith Moon fills.

I got home and listened to the original Smoke On The Water song. The drums sounded wimpy..............

opentune

Platinum Member
I got home and listened to the original Smoke On The Water song. The drums sounded wimpy..............

Not a Paice fan?
IMO he held it down. Some of snare rolls in middle are pretty subtle, spiffy, well placed.
I can see how you got into tom riding if had never heard the original.
BTW are you still letting other jam drummers beat on your vintage Slingerlands or Luddy snare?

Anon La Ply

Renegade
It was the first song I ever played. I still remember seeing these cheeky local boys lugging their amps into my room and I'm thinking "OMG OMG OMG it's really happening - I'm gonna have a JAM!".

Then we launched into some kind of teenage garage assassination of Smoke on the Water. Since I'd played along with the record far more times than my neighbours would have liked, I felt totally confident and the guys asked me to join up.

As for Ian Paice tore that song up, like he nails everything. His fills, as always were killer. My first drum hero ... awww :) I rank him as one of the great drummers of rock's golden era, along with Bonzo and Moonie and the borderline prog players.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Not a Paice fan?
IMO he held it down. Some of snare rolls in middle are pretty subtle, spiffy, well placed.
I can see how you got into tom riding if had never heard the original.
BTW are you still letting other jam drummers beat on your vintage Slingerlands or Luddy snare?

The original was good but seemed a little wimpy compared to how I played it....... LOL

The jammers beat on my $300 Yamaha Stage Custom set. I brought it just for them.
They also can beat all night long on the $50 snare drum I brought. I swap snare drums after I'm done playing.

I am going to rebuild my 63' Slingerland kit, since it was a gift from my father.

The only thing that concerns me are my vintage cymbals. 1963 Zildjians.
Cymbals are so darn expensive and I don't want to play on the real cheap cymbals.
Also I have heard that cheap cymbals don't last long.

opentune

Platinum Member
The only thing that concerns me are my vintage cymbals. 1963 Zildjians.
Cymbals are so darn expensive and I don't want to play on the real cheap cymbals.
Also I have heard that cheap cymbals don't last long.

Yep wouldn't want 'jammers' on them either. I've never been the host jam band but would insist I not have my fave equipment for anybody.
Vintage A Zildjians are pretty cheap on ebay. Its work to keep looking... but I see basic A medium rides going for < $100 all the time.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I have a confession to make.
I still play that tune with one of the bands that I play with.
I still frig it up every time because I get bored during the hi-hat ride portion.