I can't believe I just did that!!!

bonhamdrummer123

Today I was playing at a bar with this group I am in at this music school and I totally ruined I Shot the Sheriff. At the end we were gonna play chorus verse riff chorus then 3 riffs and end it. I went chorus verse then into the 3 riffs, so when everyone else went into the chorus I played the riff again and screwed everyone up. I always thought my ability would be the only thing to hold me back at any point, but now I am forgetting simple song structures. Needless to say it totally fell apart and although most of the crowd didn't know whose fault it was everyone playing did!!! At least most of them I think thought it was funny because none of us wanted to play it. Has anyone else ever done this and turned a solid song into a train wreck?.....by the way the second song was good, although I lost some confidence!!!

ccsimms

Hey, I can't say I've shared your experience, but I understand where you're coming from. This seems to be a classic case of overthinking and it will happen. If there are ever changes to a piece you may be doing, you can always just bring with you a sheet of paper with the song structure to help you out.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I've screwed up that bad before. It is very embarrassing and demoralizing. Just practice more and you'll get over it and do better. If you do this very often, however, you should expect to be kicked out of the band, for good reason.

bonhamdrummer123

O yeah I totally understand where everyone else is coming from when they get mad. I don't think it was practicing more because before we played I went over it in my head like 20 imes and KNEW IT!!!!!!!!! I think it was more nerves, but I don't know how to get over that.

maddrummr

Platinum Member
Hah I know what you feel like. But there is nothing like playing a polka and taking another repeat when the whole band finishes. But in a month or two you can laugh about it later.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
to me learning the structure of a whole bunch of songs is one of the toughest things about being in a band. i've managed to get my drumming skills down pretty well, but i still have a hard time nailing the structure of every song. we're always learning new songs and changing the way we do old songs, so i can never just cruise a gig. and like you discovered, if you screw up, you can ruin a song. for that reason i think memorizing song structure is one of the most overlooked and underrated aspects of being a drummer.

ChipJohns

Hah I know what you feel like. But there is nothing like playing a polka and taking another repeat when the whole band finishes. But in a month or two you can laugh about it later.
My take is, unless you're playing at the White House, or at the Grammy's, laugh about it then! If the whole band can laugh about it, so can the crowd... You are in charge. If you relate to the crowd, they will understand..! They really will. Just don't do it twice!

No matter how good you are, the longer you play, the more it will happen!

It happens to everyone. EVERYONE! I was at a Cars concert and they messed up once.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Yep, happened to me at last night's gig. I stupidly agreed to "busk" a number that we played for the first time at soundcheck!!! It was a request from the guy who hired the band. Anyhow, I started the number with the wrong beat. That meant I was playing at tempo +50%, DOH! No going back from that & can't get out of it without bringing attention to the mistake. Due credit to the band, we all got through the number using the most improv methods ever & the punters didn't notice a thing. I'm lucky to play with very experience muso's who can adapt no matter how bad the error. BTW, I've done over 1,000 gigs in my time so this can happen to anyone, especially if you're winging a number.