Hypocrisy....owning up

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
My experience exactly. I owned a Pearl kit that was even cheaper than Exports, if you can believe that. Had 'em for over twenty years, sold them less than six months ago.

Absolutely terrible kit - couldn't tune the thing worth a damn and those awkward tom angles - I swear they stunted my development. I've made more progress in a year on my Yamaha Stage Customs than I had in the previous ten with the Pearls.

That said - I liked the wrap :) Stainless Steel I guess you'd call it.

OP - those look like nice drums! I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Pearl kit today. I bought a Pearl Modern Utility snare a few days ago and it's easily the best sounding snare I've ever played.
What was wrong with those tom angles? That looks about right.

River19

I played an Export for years in the "chrome" looked very similar to that....

12/13/16/22 and I had a 10" tom as well......the shells were made of like compressed sawdust and the tom mounts looked like something out of the Home Depot plumbing department.....

Got the job done, hell I opened for Soul Asylum and Hootie back in the day with that friggin' Export.....lol

Regarding tom angles......on those you had "THE" position that allowed you to hit the head vs. the rim....that was it......toms were so deep and mounts so....well....so not good that you were limited to say the least

yammyfan

What was wrong with those tom angles? That looks about right.
I'm 5'7" so it was never very easy for me to get over top of those drums. The rack tom rims were about 8" higher than the snare, if I recall correctly. My fills didn't have much fluidity to them on that kit, acknowledging that old chestnut about a carpenter blaming his tools ;)

I played an Export for years in the "chrome" looked very similar to that....

12/13/16/22 and I had a 10" tom as well......the shells were made of like compressed sawdust and the tom mounts looked like something out of the Home Depot plumbing department.....

Got the job done, hell I opened for Soul Asylum and Hootie back in the day with that friggin' Export.....lol

Regarding tom angles......on those you had "THE" position that allowed you to hit the head vs. the rim....that was it......toms were so deep and mounts so....well....so not good that you were limited to say the least
You're absolutely right about THE angle. I dreaded taking those drums apart and moving them. There was no memory anything about that hardware; it was an adventure every time I had to put it back together.

Very cool for you to have opened for those bands, BTW. You must have been with a good bunch of guys at the time.

Woolwich

Silver Member
The dreaded tom angle has more to do with the depth of power toms that were coincident with the introduction of the Pearl Export than it has to do with the Pearl L Arm Mount.
There’s a newish Export in the rehearsal rooms that we use and I regularly need to adjust the toms “properly”. By lifting the vertical tube as high as it will go then ustilising the angle at the elbow of the pipes, the depth of smaller pipe going into the drum mount, and the ‘swivel’of the tom around the smaller pipe. I can then lower the pipe into the bass drum and get toms positioned sensibly and solidly exactly where I need them. Many’s the time I walk in to see only an inch or two of the upright on view and the toms sticking out sideways.
In fact with my last Premier kit and current Mapex kit I played around with the ball and sockets and found that by putting the L rods in the ‘wrong’ place and experimenting with how I placed the tom onto the rods I ended up getting the perfect position.

mikyok

Platinum Member
OP - those look like nice drums! I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Pearl kit today. I bought a Pearl Modern Utility snare a few days ago and it's easily the best sounding snare I've ever played.
Cheers man, a couple of months on and with a few gigs under its belt it paid for itself after 1 and a bit gigs and has made the setup and teardown quicker than it already was.

Obviously if you need higher end drums get them, I'm not selling any of mine! For me this is perfect.

I have to admit the modern utility 14x8 maple is very tempting.

River19

I'm 5'7" so it was never very easy for me to get over top of those drums. The rack tom rims were about 8" higher than the snare, if I recall correctly. My fills didn't have much fluidity to them on that kit, acknowledging that old chestnut about a carpenter blaming his tools ;)

You're absolutely right about THE angle. I dreaded taking those drums apart and moving them. There was no memory anything about that hardware; it was an adventure every time I had to put it back together.

Very cool for you to have opened for those bands, BTW. You must have been with a good bunch of guys at the time.
I remember the 80s Export I had had basic memory locks but they just helped keep them in position. This new cocktail kit by the OP looks like leaps and bounds above that.

As far as that old band, it was a fantastic college cover band with a few solid originals. Right place right time on a few gigs like that, a few "battle of the bands" wins for opening slots etc.

At the time Hootie had only their first single out and Soul was on the back 9 of their "Runaway Train" fame......

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I own a Pearl Masters snare that I love, but that's the only Pearl drum I'll ever own. They make good drums, but I absolutely hate their tom mounts. The only way I'd own another Pearl set is if I mounted the rack tom on a snare stand or if I could fit them with more traditional RIMS-type mounts.

yammyfan

I own a Pearl Masters snare that I love, but that's the only Pearl drum I'll ever own. They make good drums, but I absolutely hate their tom mounts. The only way I'd own another Pearl set is if I mounted the rack tom on a snare stand or if I could fit them with more traditional RIMS-type mounts.
For me, the Yamaha YESS mount has been a revelation. Moving the toms off the kick drum and onto a stand was the second smartest thing I ever did, after buying Yamaha in the first place.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Memory locks in all the right places have cured it for me (Plus I can mount the ride Paice style). I've played so many exports where the clamp at either end of the L arm doesn't clamp properly anymore and.......don't get me started!

I'd be the same as you if I was forking out for a masters brand new. I use a snare stand to mount my tom. Even RIMS is a pain in the arse if you're mounting from a cymbal stand but that's another argument involving the dreaded virgin bass drums!

Having said that you can get a masters second hand for a bargain nowadays. These and the starclassics don't seem to hold their value too well.

One Up One Down

I picked up a Pearl Export shell pack a few months ago. Does what I need it to do -- learn how to play in the comfort of my basement :)

Maybe if I had to move it around a lot I'd understand a lot of the criticisms. The sound is ok, not great I guess, but I haven't replaced the stock drum heads either. I pretty much knew what I was getting into...nothing special but it does the job.

yammyfan

I picked up a Pearl Export shell pack a few months ago. Does what I need it to do -- learn how to play in the comfort of my basement :)

Maybe if I had to move it around a lot I'd understand a lot of the criticisms. The sound is ok, not great I guess, but I haven't replaced the stock drum heads either. I pretty much knew what I was getting into...nothing special but it does the job.
Pearl's hardware is probably better today. My kit was from the mid-80's and was lower on the food chain than the Export series was. It was bad, and not in a good way!

Changing heads can make a huge difference, as you know.

Bonus tip: the Tune-Bot electronic tuner is a godsend for drummers. No matter how good you are at tuning by ear, the Tune-Bot can improve on that. My drums sound like they cost 10x more than I paid for them because they're so incredibly well tuned, thanks to the Tune-Bot.