Humidity: What setting?

KamaK

Platinum Member
Long Story Short: What do I set my basement humidistat to?

Since moving my musical gear to my (finished) basement, I bumped the humidistat down to 50% down from the usual 60%. The result has been that the dehumidifier has been running much more often than usual, and I fear that it's going to cost me a small fortune if I leave it that way all summer.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
This a subject I deal with living on the Gulf Coast, it can be very humid especially during the Summer months. I always figured 30 to 40% was a good place to be at depending on the relative indoor temp. Humidity does play a major role in deciding if a room is comfortable enough to spend extended amounts of time in (practicing) as well as the long term affect on your equipment.Another question is what to do with the heat that's generated by a dehumidifier. There's always a trade-off it seems.

A little fact sheet I came across... http://www.centerpointenergy.com/staticfiles/CNP/Common/SiteAssets/doc/Humidity_indoor_environ[1].pdf

WallyY

Platinum Member
This is from Sonor's FAQ page, and I imagine all the other drum companies would be about the same.

"Please do not expose your drums and hardware to extreme temperature and humidity fluctuations. Storage would be perfect in stable room conditions of approximately a temperature 20°C (70ºF) and humidity of 55%."

keep it simple

Platinum Member
This is from Sonor's FAQ page, and I imagine all the other drum companies would be about the same.

"Please do not expose your drums and hardware to extreme temperature and humidity fluctuations. Storage would be perfect in stable room conditions of approximately a temperature 20°C (70ºF) and humidity of 55%."
We'd agree with that approximation.

JimFiore

Silver Member
I try to leave my studio at low 50% all year. Most of time it's within 5 points of the target. By doing this I've had very good luck with all of my instruments. When I had gear in my basement I was constantly retuning my basses/guitars as the seasons (and humidity) changed.

Humidity in the basement is tough to get rid of. Make sure your dehumidifier has sufficient capacity for the volume. It should not be running constantly. If you have an electric water heater you might consider buying a heat-pump based replacement. The plus side is that besides saving you money (we save about $20-$25 per month on electricity) they also dehumidify and cool the space. This is not needed in the winter but it's a nice plus in the summer. The downside is that they are costly (>$1000, but look for efficiency rebates from the government or local utility) and make noise (some worse than others).

KamaK

Platinum Member
Than you for the suggestions and information. I'll bump the humidistat to 55% to split the difference.

My dehumidifier empties directly into a covered sump-pit, which pumps the water to an outlet about 50 yards from my house.

Blisco

The rule of thumb I've always followed for instruments is if it's comfortable to you, it is for them. 40-50% humidity and 60-75 degrees.

Today I'm cleaning my two humidifiers for storage. House is up to 40 on its own now. I also noticed the dehumidifier in the basement was on set at about 50%. I turned it up to 100 (constant on) since it now smells musty down there.

I probably put close to 300 gallons of water into the air this winter!!

JimFiore

Silver Member
You might laugh, but I came up with an extremely inexpensive yet very effective way to keep my studio at 50-55% humidity in the winter (left on its own, the house would be <30% in the winter). The studio is separate from the house so I don't have to worry about the house affecting it. Anyway, I take 2 mic stands and place a length of PVC pipe between them, about three feet apart. I drape a beach towel over that and put a boot mat under it. Then I pour some water over the towel each morning, maybe 1 to 2 quarts. By the next morning the towel will be dry and I repeat. It basically costs me nothing short of the cost of the water and a few minutes of my time.