How's this for a drum set?

bonzolead

Platinum Member
Those are either North or Staccato drums very big in the 70's, can't. tell without a close-up through. Bonham jammed a set of Staccato's back then not on tour or endorced just messed around with one.

Bonzolead

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
I think both the North and Staccato Drums were fiberglass with the bottom end turned out towards the audience. These are kind of like kettle drums where the bottom is sealed. You really can't hear them well. Fiberglass drums are loud so this defeats the purpose.They're some pretty funky looking drums though.

aydee

Platinum Member

What were you doing watching that video, Ken? ; ) Staccato drums, I thought were the ones that looked like melting tubular funnels. These look like half boiled eggs.

Did you notice that all the fills played by the drummer were on the snare, never on the eggs..errr toms?

keep it simple

Platinum Member
They're not Staccato. These have a timpani style bottom from what I can see. I've no knowledge of North drums, but I have gigged a set of Staccato in canary yellow back in the day.

bonzolead

Platinum Member

What were you doing watching that video, Ken? ; ) Staccato drums, I thought were the ones that looked like melting tubular funnels. These look like half boiled eggs.

Did you notice that all the fills played by the drummer were on the snare, never on the eggs..errr toms?

you're right at first I thought they were North or Staccato's but now that I looked at the video in more detail i'm stumped never seen anything like those drums.

Bonzolead

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
Gotta love the Reverend. Very funky drums, hey if they work they work. On a side note there is famous Al Green song you all know I'm sure; "Lets Stay Together" which has that funky tom sound, turns out that it came from a detuned conga. If it works use it I guess.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member

I waited and waited to hear those toms. He does play a quarter note a few toms on the right mounted tom and you can't really hear it. I don't now what they did with those Soul Train performances, and how much of the music was actually piped in. Maybe the kit was all for show.

You tube has become such a resource. I've been reading Daniel Glass and listening to a lot of old school soul and R&B since we were talking about its connection to Smooth Jazz.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Here's Chad Smith playing on a set of those bubble drums earlier this year. Sadly, he never hits the toms a single time, so we don't get to hear what the sound like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O7hBNaiMm0

Also notice the extremely wobbly hihat stand and the crash that slowly takes a dive throughout the performance. In addition to that, his snares seem to suddenly turn themselves off at some point. And the massive white afro wig, of course :)

edit: Woop, my bad. He hits a tom at 4:01.