How to make a "Natural Matte Finish" shiny??

WalterKohn

Right over the top.
The first coat sunk right in, light sanding with very fine steel wool between the second and third coats.
I will purchase the Tung Oil today last night I took the wax off then used Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 & Polish.

Thanks for the help!

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I will purchase the Tung Oil today last night I took the wax off then used Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 & Polish.

Thanks for the help!
Walter,
You removed the old wax, then you replaced it with the Meguiars. The point that everybody is trying to make is that your tung oil or whatever else you use to apply a gloss finish, MUST go on the original, factory finish. Anything else you add will stop the new finish from adhering to the old, not to mention the possibility of fisheye and orange peel caused by chemical interactions.

Remove the wax again. And again. Then scuff the original finish with some 320 grit automotive sandpaper. Clean off the dust, then apply the new finish. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on second and more coats.

Honestly, the problems you might encounter are many, but I think the above steps will make your refinish job a likely success. It's not brain surgery, and any mistakes can be corrected. But you must keep those waxes and waxy cleaners away from the drum.

GeeDeeEmm