How to Listen

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I remember my brother was in an Orchestra many years ago, with Evelyn Glennie playing a snare drum Concerto as the soloist. She really is something.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I know it's been posted here years before but it's definitely worth a re-visit.
I couldn't agree more! Evelyn is as perplexing as she is inspirational. All her skills were on display at the opening ceremony of the London Olympics last year. I can't imagine what external influences she was having to juggle to keep her performance together.

This audio from that section of the ceremony is not only a great example of Evelyn's percussive prowess, but probably the highest profile drumming exposure of the year. Put on some good headphones, & enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM0fiegRbTg

A

Anthony Amodeo

this is great

when studying with the orchestral great Bill Platt he spoke of the exact same things making very similar points

I needed to hear all of that again .....thank you for posting

Souljacker

Silver Member
Is she completely deaf? I saw her last year and she did an interview beforehand with an orchestra percussionnist. She was conversing back and forward as if she was unimpaired.

dmacc

Platinum Member
My experience with the master classical percussionist at the Eastman School completely changed the way I understood the various elements of our instrument and would play thereafter. It was so much about listening to the sound and how to obtain it.

This is a masterpiece that so many people can gain from - thank you for sharing this!