How to learn song by ear?

ageadm

If you can get every part of the drums in your head (hats, snare, bass, toms etc.) then simply memorize them for a few minutes until you put the into a music sheet, then continue developing the song by reading it. That will help you develop your hearing and writing music abilities.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I hear the bass drum but i just can't put it together with the hit hat and snare because the singer and guitarist are distracting me
I think Fuo raises a good question, this sounds like a matter of experience to me. You've just gotta keep listening, identifying and isolating the part and concentrating on getting it down. It's a matter of practice and repetition mate.....that goes as much for developing listening and concentration skills as it does for playing.

What song is it?

aznbennet

I hear the bass drum but i just can't put it together with the hit hat and snare because the singer and guitarist are distracting me

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
Hi i'm having a hard time learning a song

i can put the hit hat and snare together but with the bass drum it's too hard so is there a trick to do that?
You might try something as simple as better headphones in order to hear the kick drum. The crap earbuds that come free with most phones (iPhone, I'm talking about you!) have very poor bass response, and even something as simple as upgrading to some $20-$30 earbuds will help out quite a bit. SkullCandy Ink'd earbuds are pretty cheap and have decent (overhyped) bass.

Fuo

Platinum Member
Are you having trouble hearing the bass drum? Or having trouble placing it in the beat/measure?

If you can't hear it then I dunno.. adjust the EQ? Get better audio gear?

If its placing it in the beat measure, then one thing I stumbled on recently that helped me with this is to tap along BOTH hands doing alternating 8th notes. Also count out loud. I would get lost before with one-handed tapping and counting, but with both hands I know that if a note falls on a left-hand-tap then its an &, and if its right-hand then it is on a beat (1,2,3,4, etc). And it shortens the space between notes which can make the e's and a's easier to hear. Plus, if you find that the "1" is falling on alternate hands then you know its probably in an odd-time (or at least an odd 1/8 time).

Also, if you're new to drumming, then you may just need more experience. The longer you play the more internalized the common rhythms are and the more they'll just jump out at you without having to really think about it.

EDIT: Ohh, and there's also software out there that will allow you to slow down music without changing the pitch. "Transcribe" i think its called.

aznbennet

Hi i'm having a hard time learning a song

i can put the hit hat and snare together but with the bass drum it's too hard so is there a trick to do that?