How to count groups of 5, 7, 9 and 10

peety777

Just wondering how you count groups of 5, 7, 9 and 10. Saying 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 is not viable at a reasonable tempo! Many thanks,
Josh

Arky

Platinum Member
Re: How to count groups of 5, 7,9 and 10

** Mike Mangini's 2-book (& 2-CD) system "Rhythm Knowledge" (esp. the 2nd book) would be perfect for this stuff.
http://www.rhythmknowledge.com/

** Do a search. This way you'll also find the essence of the Rhythm Knowledge (counting) system. Although Mike's books have some more features and all info comes in a nice structured package.

** Use Gavin Harrison's 'intuitive' approach of counting groups of 5 and 7 notes - he doesn't really count them (any more) but 'feels' them, identifying them by the accent scheme he prefers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfKDG7rXEWM

topgun2021

Gold Member

Depending on the music is organized:

5: 1 2 1 2 3 or 1 2 3 1 2

7: 1 2 1 2 1 2 3 or 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 or 1 2 1 2 3 1 2

Hopefully you can see the patten here. If I can I count all the beats as they are, I will especially if there isn't a conductor.

Highly tempos are usually feel of using "dact"s in place of numbers.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I never use numbers

at lower tempos I use words or phrases with equal syllables

at higher tempos I sing little melodies in my head

for example for 7 ..... obviously the notes I use will not translate ....but I sing Ba do Ba do Ba do do ....in my head
or use the Grebb method "Listen to the radio "

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member

I use a similar method to Anthony's. I usually use it for triplets, quintuplets, etc. but it's very usable with faster tempi. My system (for numbers above '3').

5- 'University'
7- 'University Challenge'
9- 'University Challenge Paxman'

Now that will make little sense to our non-UK members but it's easier than counting multiple-syllable numbers like 'seven'. Everything has a single syllable and they the syllables don't repeat. When counting numbers above seven, the 'seven' count usually stresses the second syllable '-ven' onto the 'and', which can lead to miscounts (in my, highly dyslexic, brain).

I still count with numbers but it gives me options.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member

I tend to slow down the groove for a moment and identify where in the music phrase there are the accents on the counts... Helps me keep track without actually counting. I keep my body moving to the beat and just know that when the guitars hit that note, we're on beat 7 or what have you.

It should be said that the only time I ever really count something anyway is when I'm working out a particular thing, notating, practicing or learning a new concept. When it's time to play with others, I just keep the "feel" in mind, maybe key off some accents or identifiers in the song. Other times, I'll just count 1's. I'm not sure how, but somehow just keeping track of when we're playing the 1 seems to work for keeping your place.