(How to cope with) Drums at University

da-pro1

Hello Drummerworld!

Hey there, my name is Tom, I live in west Wales (in the UK), I'm 18 years old and will begin studying Physics at Imperial College London in October.

I need some advice. I've been playing drums for 5 years now, and have had (almost) no complaints about noise. I realize how fortunate I have been considering my 6 hour bedroom band practices, my 3 a.m. drumming stints etc, etc. I also realize that living in student accommodation, in the centre of London... well; that things are gonna change!

I have researched my issue already. but haven't found much specific or useful information. Of course any general advice would be greatly appreciated (let me know of your experiences, or just rant at me if you like!) but I am looking for answers to these questions in particular: (How) Can I keep practicing? Where can I keep my drums? How is best for me to transport my drums? (I won't be able to afford a car or insurance.) How much time can I spend on drumming considering I want a good degree? Finally, does anyone have any experience of teaching drums while at University or without your own drum kit? (I've already done a lot of teaching)

I want to keep this from turning into an essay so I won't elaborate any further, but if you'd like any more information about me or my circumstances, feel free to ask.
Thank you so much guys and gals, your replies mean a lot to me! :)

topgun2021

Gold Member
how about joining some percussion ensembles or jazz bands, etc so you can still play AND not need to transport equipment?

deltdrum

how about joining some percussion ensembles or jazz bands, etc so you can still play AND not need to transport equipment?
I have found that to not be the same. Being in your own band just feels different to participating in school ensembles (I'd still advocate doing this of course).

But I'd just settle in for the year, and then maybe at the halfway point start asking around. You'd be suprised how many guys live on their own that have music rooms and stuff.

Good luck though man. It killed me too, but you're gonna appreciate those rare jams that much more. Good luck in school to bruddah

The Modernist

Find a rehearsal room with storage facilities. I know here in Liverpool most rehearsal space have places to store equipment for around £10 a week, and will hire rooms out fairly cheaply to solo drummers wanting to practice (certainly a lot less than full band prices). You could use this space to continue your teaching as well.

Also try and keep a small practice kit (or practice pad) in your student digs to work on.

Attend some band nights and ask around, see what other drummers are doing.

Cameo

Gold Member
Join some bands at the University.
If you want to practice at you room, I assume you live in campus or something, buy one of those cheap e-kits. You could buy a hi-hat, snare and bass and connect 'em to a module - and you got a nice little practice set.

Redfern

buy one of those cheap e-kits.
Agreed, from personal experience as i currently have an electric kit, you can quite easily play in a block of flats and have no complaints, it would probably be alot more convenient while your at uni to have a cheap one of these in your room, they dont take up much space at all either!

da-pro1

I have found that to not be the same. Being in your own band just feels different to participating in school ensembles (I'd still advocate doing this of course).

But I'd just settle in for the year, and then maybe at the halfway point start asking around. You'd be suprised how many guys live on their own that have music rooms and stuff.

Good luck though man. It killed me too, but you're gonna appreciate those rare jams that much more. Good luck in school to bruddah
Thanks man. Yeah, I've always done as much wind/brass band work as I can where I am right now, and I'm definitely gonna keep that up (as much as I can). As you say, "those rare jams" are really what I'm gonna be missing. Anyways, settling in for a bit before trying to start anything too serious is probably a very good idea, cheers!

Find a rehearsal room with storage facilities. I know here in Liverpool most rehearsal space have places to store equipment for around £10 a week, and will hire rooms out fairly cheaply to solo drummers wanting to practice (certainly a lot less than full band prices). You could use this space to continue your teaching as well.

Also try and keep a small practice kit (or practice pad) in your student digs to work on.
That's really interesting. There must be some kind equivalent in London somewhere, and sounds great for teaching. I'll definitely check that one out.

buy one of those cheap e-kits.
Hmm, I'm not so sure. I've already got a practice pad and could keep that in my room to maintain mah' chops. I just don't think that I'd ever be bothered about practicing on a cheap e-kit *blissfully imagines the resonant crack of a rimshot on a highly tuned snare*. It's good to know you can still get no complaint with an e-kit though, my 'practice' pad can get a little loud at times!

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming! :D

skoobydoobiedew

I bought neoprene practice pads to lay over my acoustic kit my freshman year at college. It was ok, but didn't quite do the trick, so I bought a cheap electronic kit online for about $400 USD. That has kept me playing through college and has allowed me to collaborate with other musicians from back home. It's a tough point in time for any drummer, but I think that the contacts you make and knowledge you learn put your whole music career in perspective! My only advise would be to never stop playing! Even if it dwindles down to practicing on your roommate's sofa, never stop playing! There's always an opportunity to keep practicing no matter what form that takes!

drumr_102

I bought an e-kit when I was living in dorms and I didn't practice quit as much, but it definitely helped me get through it. I mostly concentrated on practice pad stuff really.
Even now my guitarist and I are messing around with recording covers with the electronic kit so it turned out to be a good investment!

Caz

Hey - you're in luck, Imperial is probably the best non-music uni in London for musicians. There's a full practise room for drummers and full bands to use - fire me a PM and I'll point you to the right people

Caroline

deltdrum

I remembered this from a while back and thought I would mention... BUY A CAJONE!!

If you can find someone who plays fun little covers and such on acoustic, you will have a blast. We usually park our ass outside of frat parties, and the ladies come within minutes. I also got invited to play drums for the modern dance class for work study.

Probably my favorite instrument to play. Theres so many different sounds you can get out of it, and it sounds good in any acoustic environment. Plus you can pack beers inside of it, or use it as an end table. What more does a college student need?

Hope all is well man.