How to be more groovy

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I agree with Captain Bash that groove is in the heart.

Grooviness can be learned but some will always be more naturally groovy than others - who no doubt have other qualities.

Wanzeller

It's only been a little over one day, but I hope the OP comes back and gets into the groove of this thread.

I'm new to the forum so I'm not used to see a lot of answers and reply to all. I really appreciate all the comments and I read all of them. I'm trying to find my own sound. So I posted this quote in the forum. Basically I asked in order to know if you have any practice routine to develop your felling and groove. But that's something that's really personal. Basically I'm trying to play all my grooves as well as other exercises more relax as a lot of people here said. But it's going to be a long and fun journey.

Thanks a lot guys!! :)

Wanzeller

It's only been a little over one day, but I hope the OP comes back and gets into the groove of this thread.

Play it slow for a long time. Play different versions placing the notes slightly different places, triplets sixteenth a rights. Then play it cut time, after a while play it double cut time. Once you can smoothly go between all three versions. Break it down play it with different feet, move the left foot to keep time on the up beat, down beat, back beat etc. Practice on different percussion arrangements. Arrange complimentary patterns, practice those. Add guiros and wash boards. Learn melodies and motif that highlight the groove.

Always something to do to work on the groove.
Thanks for you advices! I have several exercises I've been working on with HH in triplets or 16 notes or 8 Notes and I'm trying to accent the tempo or the contratempo on the edge of the cymbal and the other notes playing softer. It's not straight so it has more dynamics and I'm trying to be more relaxed in order play smoothly.

sdedge

well the more you really listen to the song and the other musians what they playing and the not technical way of playing a song the more groove you will get.

G

Ghostnote

One of the best examples of groove playing I can think of, and one that is probably on no one's radar, is When The World Is Running Down by The Police. Stewart Copeland is playing the simplest, stereotypical, and most played beat ever concieved, but you know it's him behind the kit the second you hear it. It's simple as hell, but play along to it and try to make it sound the same as the recording. I guarantee you won't be able to pull it off. Simple, on the money, huge pocket, with an undeniable FEEL. That's how you really groove.

mikel

Platinum Member
Its been said by many great drummers. Listen to the music, not the drumming, the music. It has a pulse, it has a heart and the more you listen to the whole song the bigger the spaces between the notes seem to become.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
to me groove = pocket. Any James Brown stuff for instance. I try to use more accents off the beat than fills. But first you must OWN the beat. Livin' in America is a great practice tune. So is Will it go round in circles by Billy Preston.