how often do you pracitce

howidied

im surprised i havent found this thread here. soo how many hours a week do you pracitce? me myself practice like 6-8 a day on weekends and about 3-4 hours on week days maybe more pplus lessons.

howidied

me myself would even practice more but after like 5-6 hours it all seem like shit and my feet start hurting. then I just quit for the other day as it seem it has no point.

MaryO

Platinum Member
There are MANY threads on this but to answer once again....
I can't practice near that much with a job, a house, a boyfriend and other interests. I'm good to get in 30 minutes to an hour on a weekday and and one to two hours on weekend days.
However I'm not in a band and am not working towards a regular gig of any kind so for me, it's enuf. I try to make sure that the limited time I have is quality practice.

There are so many aspects to this question...what are you practicing FOR, what are your goals, what other things do you have going on in your life, what is your access to a practice area and restrictions thereof (neighbors, kids, etc.), do you work, got to school and on and on. I think just to ask how many hours a week or day someone practices really serves no purpose other than to put a number on the board.

That being said, it's great you have the ability and will to practice so much if it's what you enjoy.

Good Luck and Happy Drumming!

MaryO

ageadm

I practice like 1-2 hours a day. 8 hours is too much imo, what would I practice for 8 hours? My whole lesson book lol.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Something like 2-5 hours per day, 5 or 6 days a week. I practiced more than that for a good part of my teens and twenties, and there have been periods of years when I didn't practice much because I was working steadily.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I try to get in almost an hour a day to stay loose. My fear is that now that I've said how much time I put in, a reply like "Well it sounds like it" can be a compliment or an insult ;)

Numberless

Platinum Member
The days I can go to college I'm getting in about six hours (usually three or four days of the week). The rest of the days when I'm at home I'll get one or two hours, pad work, brushes and a mini review of my full practice schedule. I always take at least one day off with no practice at all.

Otto

Platinum Member
After many years playing, I am starting to think that what you think off the set carries as much weight as being on the set...once some basics are understood and felt in the muscles.

Nothing will polish your ideas like being on the set, however.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I try to get in almost an hour a day to stay loose. My fear is that now that I've said how much time I put in, a reply like "Well it sounds like it" can be a compliment or an insult ;)
you're a kick ass player Bo

that hour has done you well

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Since I have no major aspirations I don't practice, I play. Normally about an hour or two a day now. Sometimes I'll practice a phrase after missing it, that's about it these days.

dmacc

Platinum Member
For me it depends on month and time of year.

These days I get 1-2 hours/day about 5-6 days per week. When family time and household obligations are calling me more, I get much less.

I can no longer do 5-6 hours per day. Those days are long, long in the past.

David Floegel

Silver Member
I'm experiencing something crazy in the moment.. (it's actually not crazy.. haha)

I used to practice more than 3 hours (usually-6-7) for about 3 years.. (Age 15-18) - since then I practiced much less because of my trainingship.. (work sucks.. haha)
since this year I don't practice that often any more just because I'm tired after work and stuff.. I haven't played for about 1 week now and I feel I have made some great progress without sitting on the drumset or having sticks in my hand..
does it make sense??

everyone else experienced that?

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I haven't played for about 1 week now and I feel I have made some great progress without sitting on the drumset or having sticks in my hand..
does it make sense??

everyone else experienced that?
For sure. Music is at least as much in your head as in your hands. You might have refreshed your ears, or you might have new insights once you get a little distance ... forests and trees. Or maybe you've been listening to music in a more holistic way, like a normal person does. Also taking time to get "life stuff" sorted out can take the pressure off, which allows for more relaxation and clarity when "off duty".

Having enough breaks to freshen up boosts performance. If it didn't then corporations wouldn't grant their staff lunch breaks or annual leave. They sure don't do it because they care :)

hvymtlmike

Usually, I practice 5 days a week. With schedules everchanging that varies to 4 or 6 depending on the week. I show up a few hours before band practice to practice strictly drum work. So not including band practice (strictly drumming by myself) I average about 3 hours, so around 15 hours a week. I'm a full time college student and manipulate my schedule to ensure I get plenty of practice. On top of that, 2 band practices a week that are about 3 hours a piece and 1 that is usually about 5 hours. Never really though about counting out the hours. Throw it all together and about 25-26 hours a week lol. WOW

Fuo

Platinum Member
1-2 hrs/day, 5-6 days/week on the kit, plus random amounts of time on the pad everyday.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I get about 4 to 8 hours a week of practice. Not a lot, but enough to keep me improving. It's the quality of practice. You have to work on stuff you can't do to get the most from your time.