How often do you change your snare head?

C

Crazy8s

Howdy Drummerworld!

I have put together a drum using an alternative tuning system that I call 'Karma Balanced'. 'Karma' coming from a spirituality factor and also directly from my name, Kevin Carman.

In fielding questions and concerns about the drums operation, there has been some concern about how quickly one can change a drum head. Of course, this is a very valid concern as changing heads can sometimes be a frustrating event for many drummers, especially if you have people on the dance floor tapping their toes wondering why the music stopped.

In my experience, I've only actually broken a drumhead 3 times in 20 years of playing and fortunately never in a live performance setting, but I have seen it happen a few times with other drummers and even let them borrow my snare to keep the show on.

What I'd like to ask you folks here at DW is how often you find yourself changing your snare heads? Would the ability to change heads on your snare drum quickly be a feature that you would actually use frequently?

I am grateful for all replies!

Kevin

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'm a shocker.....I like my heads "played in a bit". So I'll only change them when they are bordering on lifeless.

I have broken a few over the years, but have always had a back up snare ready to go. So a "quick change" was not necessary, but I can see the benefits. Now if you could invent a system whereby my drums would tune themselves (without O2 cannisters and a mouth peice: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55769&highlight=drumtone ), I'd be much obliged. :)

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I don't change that often. I buy coated heads and when the coating becomes smooth I figure it's time. But If I were gigging I would have a second snare on the floor behind me and not have to worry about changing a head until a break in the music.

C

Crazy8s

When it looks like this.
Do you think that I was prudent for changing it?
Actually, I would say that head was defective or your bearing edges are way too sharp. That head looks barely played and I'd feel pretty shafted if that happened to me. Call aquarian and show them that picture. Roy Burns treats folks well.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Actually, I would say that head was defective or your bearing edges are way too sharp. That head looks barely played and I'd feel pretty shafted if that happened to me. Call aquarian and show them that picture. Roy Burns treats folks well.
It is a Classic series head that had only about six hours of play on it.
I slapped a rimshot at a gig and it split.
Nothing wrong with the Panther maple snare that it was on.
The head is more of a Jazz head with no power dot underneath. I was playing Rock with it.
I brought a knife to a gun fight, Thats all!
That was the first head that I have broken in about 20 years.

It was my fault. I know better that to use a thin Jazz head for Rock.
I have no beef with Roy and Aquarian.
The head sounded great!

C

Crazy8s

It is a Classic series head that had only about six hours of play on it.
I slapped a rimshot at a gig and it split.
Nothing wrong with the Panther maple snare that it was on.
The head is more of a Jazz head with no power dot underneath. I was playing Rock with it.
I brought a knife to a gun fight, Thats all!
That was the first head that I have broken in about 20 years.

It was my fault. I know better that to use a thin Jazz head for Rock.
I have no beef with Roy and Aquarian.
The head sounded great!
It is not a beef. You got a defective head. It happens sometimes, and Aquarian will make it right. Any number of things could have been done to that head before you even got it that could cause it to split like that. They only need a tiny knick in them and they will pop.

That head is very similar to a coated Ambassador or a G1, and I have punished those heads for months and they held up fine under 2Bs and heavy playing. I don;t think your choice in heads or anything you did was the issue. Just a defective head.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
It is not a beef. You got a defective head. It happens sometimes, and Aquarian will make it right. Any number of things could have been done to that head before you even got it that could cause it to split like that. They only need a tiny knick in them and they will pop.

That head is very similar to a coated Ambassador or a G1, and I have punished those heads for months and they held up fine under 2Bs and heavy playing. I don;t think your choice in heads or anything you did was the issue. Just a defective head.
Sam Ash let me replace it with any head that I wanted. I selected an Evans coated single ply with a reverse power dot. All is well!

C

Crazy8s

Sam Ash let me replace it with any head that I wanted. I selected an Evans coated single ply with a reverse power dot. All is well!
Excellent! Having a head split right off the bat is like having a new pro-level stick break right away. In'flam'matory to say the least....

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Excellent! Having a head split right off the bat is like having a new pro-level stick break right away. In'flam'matory to say the least....
It happened at an outdoor party gig with many friends around. We all had a good laugh.
I had a back up snare with me.
Getting it replaced was no issue at all. I have been doing business with my local Sam Ash store for decades.
Crap happens!

C

Crazy8s

I'm a shocker.....I like my heads "played in a bit". So I'll only change them when they are bordering on lifeless.

I have broken a few over the years, but have always had a back up snare ready to go. So a "quick change" was not necessary, but I can see the benefits. Now if you could invent a system whereby my drums would tune themselves (without O2 cannisters and a mouth peice: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55769&highlight=drumtone ), I'd be much obliged. :)
Whoa... I am 100% for innovation, and I think it is totally rad that that guy made prototypes of that air inflation tuning system, and hopefully he even sold some, but OMFG all I can do is shake my head at how much junk was involved in making it happen... HOWEVER....I do think the effect he was reaching for might have some value.

In fact, I can make a drum that will do exactly what he was reaching for, and without all that extra junk. Seriously, I can adapt the idea for the Karma Balanced drum so that you can tune the whole drum with just one knob. The only catch is that it would take quite a bit of hand turning of the knob to change the pitch significantly. I don't know how practical it would be in a live performance....and considering you can change the pitch of any drum by pressing on it with a stick butt with one hand and playing it with the other... I dunno..

Should I start a thread to ask how relevant the idea is to others? That DW thread you linked garnered a whole lot of interest, though much of it was not very positive...