How much for that pedal?

Skilas

Pedals shouldn't be over priced, I've seen them range from $799.99 for new pedals. Usually included is a case, some tools, accessories and the pedal. Why buy a expensive pedal when you can get the exact used pedal at a decent budget. I'm never paying for a pedal costing over $200, even if I could afford it, just not gonna happen. I can also find a defected used pedal that I want and restore it in my garage, it also helps me understand how it works that way.
You have a healthy attitude, which unfortunately is very rare. It has to be the most expensive or at least the most modern, so that people can show it. That's what most people think.

TxGroove

You have a healthy attitude, which unfortunately is very rare. It has to be the most expensive or at least the most modern, so that people can show it. That's what most people think.
Exactly right, and it doesn't have to be. It's a big world,. There's a pedal sitting out there somewhere right now, that is exactly the same model and make, that is just as good as it was when it was new for a lower price. Thanks for the complement BTW!

toddmc

Gold Member
How is this attitude very rare- haven't most of comments here just stated how they wouldn't fork out thousands of $$ for the next big thing?

I agree with you that a lot of people certainly do have a "It's the most expensive, therefore it's the best" attitude when it comes to any purchase (not just bass drum pedals) but I'd like to think only a complete novice with money to burn would shell out a ridiculous amount of money just to be be seen as having the "best of the best".

Skilas

How is this attitude very rare- haven't most of comments here just stated how they wouldn't fork out thousands of $$ for the next big thing?

I agree with you that a lot of people certainly do have a "It's the most expensive, therefore it's the best" attitude when it comes to any purchase (not just bass drum pedals) but I'd like to think only a complete novice with money to burn would shell out a ridiculous amount of money just to be be seen as having the "best of the best".
What people tell is one thing, what they think is the other and in the end their buying behavior shows what they think. The problem has less to do with age than with the mentality and the financial possibilities.

toddmc

Gold Member
What people tell is one thing, what they think is the other and in the end their buying behavior shows what they think. The problem has less to do with age than with the mentality and the financial possibilities.
Yeah I'll go along with that.

I can kind of understand shelling out big $$ for the kit itself because it looks amazing from the outset, but how many people are going to be looking at your BD pedals (except for other drummers)?

Skilas

Yeah I'll go along with that.

I can kind of understand shelling out big $$ for the kit itself because it looks amazing from the outset, but how many people are going to be looking at your BD pedals (except for other drummers)?
It's the feeling of having something special and, above all, talking about it.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I honestly don't think anyone really cares what gear I use, let alone what I have on the floor.

Some non drummer might recognize the logo on my BD reso. Status symbol in some cases, but most drummers don't care. Many play what their heroes play and I really see no issue wih that. We all made conscious choices and in my group of closest drummer friends, not that it's rare in general, I'm the only Gretsch guy.

Some very nerdy drummer may ask about my snare if it's something they haven't seen before. I'll oblige as I'm a bit nerdy about that as well, but it's sort of subsided as I've found out what I want, have bought that or I'm in the process of saving up for it.

I could easily flip this around completely and call it envy. That would be more true in regards to my own experiences. Strangely it's ok if it's a guitar and it says Fender, Gibson or Martin on the headstock. People have issues. That's what I think.

Why does it matter so much how much someone spent on a pedal?

The only person I've ever heard brag about their pedal was a kid who spent the entire summer saving up for it.

"Hey baby, wanna come home with me and look at my bass drum pedal?"

There, I've played a little bit.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Oh, it's the new bling bling. Pretty soon you'll be seeing rappers with double bass drum pedals around their necks in every video.

Soulfinger

I´m with Odd-Arne here. If a 1k pedal makes you play and feel the best and you can afford it, by all means go for it. It´s not about looks or image or prestige or whatever, or at least it shouldn´t be. It´s about having the best tool for the job. Overpriced? Only if a cheaper pedal does the same for you. No reason to spend the extra money.
I play a Yamaha 9500 direct drive pedal that set me back 180 euros new - best pedal I´ve ever played. It just works, and I never even think about what I have under my foot when playing. And it´s built to last.
I also use (on a different kit) a vintage strap drive Yamaha that I got for 25 euros used. Still a very good fit for me, perfectly serviceable, but not on the same level as the DD. If there´s a better pedal for me than the DD I don´t want to know about it - I prefer to blow my cash on cymbals. :D

wildbill

Platinum Member
I searched for the term for it, but came up empty. I don't think one has been developed yet besides 'conspicuous consumption'.

I did find many articles about it though. Here's one: