How much do you get paid for doing gigs?

I am not playing that much these days but when I do I get paid from 2000 kroner (330 USD) and up to 4000 kroner (660 USD). At the same time I got friends who get paid up to 10000 kroner (1650 USD) depending on the gig they are doing. 660 USD and 1650 USD is good money but have in mind that Norway is a really expensive country to live in.

I believe this really nice discussion forum to have members from all over the world. I know it depends on what gig your are doing etc etc but just out of curiosity it would be interesting to hear what you guys are getting paid to do a gig.

Greetings from Norway

Last edited:

shadowlorde

playing in the style of iron maiden, judas priest... etc .. covers and originals ... somewhere between 50 and 100 .... kinda sucks

i know of dance party pop bands that make 500 +

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I'm going to move to Norway!
I don't think that I have to say anymore!
Bob, just ask Thaard, he'll tell you just how expensive Norway is. Think of US cost of living x 4, & you're not far wrong. Both high ticket price items and personal tax rates are uber high.

All that said Fanzy, the pay examples you gave, are they per person or per band?

My 5 piece band goes out for $600 in pubs, $1,000 in clubs, & festivals are anything from $1,500 up depending on the promo value/earning profile of the event. New years eve gigs are minimum $2,000. We aim to see these values rise this year, but, to be honest, we're only scheduled for about 20 gigs a year, so the money's not an issue. I know we're booked for a couple of expenses only charity gigs next year.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Bob, just ask Thaard, he'll tell you just how expensive Norway is. Think of US cost of living x 4, & you're not far wrong. Both high ticket price items and personal tax rates are uber high.

the pay examples you gave, are they per person or per band?
I was just kidding, I know the cost of living in Norway is high.
I also wasn't sure if those were the whole band rates or just the drummers pay that Mr. Fanzy Pants gave as examples.

The most that I ever was paid for drumming was $100 US for a three setter.

Last edited:

KBadd

Silver Member
35+ something years ago my uncle was getting $50.00 per night. 20+ years ago I was getting $50.00 per night. Private gigs $100.00-$150.00 per night. Todays gig prices are about...............................................the same. I agree with Larry.....I WANT MORE. If people hiring bands actually knew what went into preparing for gigs......it would still be the same.

In May 1976 (I was 14) my 5 piece band did a dance, 3 hours, for the 8th graders and we earned $200.00. What does that tell you?

The pay examples I gave are per person.
Since drumming is not my mine income I am supposed to tax 50 % off of what I make doing gigs. Its just insane. Norway is as it looks like some of you know, indeed a really really expensive country to live in.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
When I do casual stuff around town, it's usually negotiable but I set my low limit at $150. When it's a union gig and your the small band leader, it's about $260 (7-hour shift). There are other union rates above and below but that's the one I know without looking it up. The last job I did with an entertainment booking agency for a huge wedding at a big hotel near the beach each member was paid $500 which included the unexpected overtime, which surprised me that it was worked that into the contract. Great agency!

There are alot of different kinds of gigs too - for instance I can do the high school show choir scene and play a 20 minute show with the kids and get paid $175. So an enterprising drummer can hit up all these choirs and if they're competing in one place (it would usually be about 12 at a time) and depending on how many of them you played for, it could be a high-money day and you wouldn't be taxed. One year I did that for one school that had 5 show choirs, so everytime they went to a big festival, where I played five times, I was making $875 for the day.

Of course, if you were a business, this may all pale in contrast to what you'd have to pay out for what your regular job taxes you on: health benefits, retirement, etc.,. I much prefer my situation of having a good solid job that I like and playing music with who I want to. The days of being able to live on nothing are far behind me now.

braincramp

Gold Member
I play in a 3 piece band we do our own sound and lights (we just upgraded to led lights) and we have played for as little as 100 a piece...but we now get 150 each 450 total...we have this arrangement with every club we play including a monthly gig at on place signed through 2011. Love the playing would do it for free but we earn our money by lugging around alot of eqiupment..we use subs... mic drums 4 to 11 mics depending on club size..mic all amps..so everything goes through board..though all this seems normal, most of the bands in this are use minimal eqiupment with no lighting