How Much Cash For Signature Series Gear ?? For the signature musician..

Jim Mattingly

There was a recent post asking about money figures that a pro drummer could possibly make ie: CD sales, touring, clinics etc...If it was mentioned I did not see it but any guesses or real figures to what a drummer might make (if any) on signature series equipment ie: drums, sticks, cymbals etc...??? Just throwin it out there..

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I'd say little to nothing.

Perhaps in the early days of signature gear, when such items were few and are far between, artists got paid for their ideas.

These days signature gear is such common place, it tends to be more about ego than anything. So-and-so has a signature item, I want one too!

Or company A will go to artist and say, if you leave them and come to us, we'll make you a signature whatever. And on occasion, the company goes to the artist and says "we have a marketing idea, lets put your name on something..."

We've seen many drummers get a signature item and still jump to another brand. If they were getting paid, I don't think they would make that jump and give up the revenue stream.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I'd say little to nothing.

Perhaps in the early days of signature gear, when such items were few and are far between, artists got paid for their ideas.

These days signature gear is such common place, it tends to be more about ego than anything. So-and-so has a signature item, I want one too!

Or company A will go to artist and say, if you leave them and come to us, we'll make you a signature whatever. And on occasion, the company goes to the artist and says "we have a marketing idea, lets put your name on something..."

We've seen many drummers get a signature item and still jump to another brand. If they were getting paid, I don't think they would make that jump and give up the revenue stream.
I think you pretty much nailed it there. The drum industry is very small compared to many. There just isn't the cash in the game, even for the big boys. It's not like it's similar to golf or other sport sponsorships. I think this reply applies especially to the modern trend of company jumping. There are still artists around who've loyally stayed with their chosen brand for decades. I tend to regard signature gear from such players as having a bit more about them. I still generally see little value in such items though, as most are just combinations of marketing hype & ego stroking. Such products rarely offer anything substantially new.

Jim Mattingly

That actually makes total sense, I never thought of it in those terms. I knew signature gear has been a type of endorsement for that particular company but was not sure if the drummer also received money as well as gear from said company. Personally I have never owned one piece of signature gear and to be honest never plan on it due to the higher price just for having an artisit's name printed or engraved on it. I do know that some drummers do participate, to a certain extent, in the design of a particular piece of gear. Not an important topic/thread for me, more curiousity than anything else and could not get it out of my mind when viewing the thread about pro drummers/money made. Thanks guys..