How many rides and hi hat pairs do you have?

CRS556

I was thinking last night and realized I have been playing the same pair of hi hats and ride for almost 10 years now. I love both of these cymbals, but am thinking about investing in a new ride and pair of hats. I kind of want to change up my sound.

So, how many do you own (of each)? And what are they (brand/ model)?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
4 pairs of hats. 5 Rides.

Hats:
13" Zildjian K/Z Specials
14" Zildjian New Beats
14" Zildjian A Mastersounds
15" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge

Rides:
20" Zildjian A Ping
20" Zildjian A Medium
20" Zildjian A Custom Medium
21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride
24" Paiste Giant Beat

Timely thread. This little inventory check has actually reminded me that I've really gotta flog off the Mastersounds and the A Custom ride......been wanting a 22" Paiste 2002 ride for some time and the funds will definitely aid that acquisition. And I have no idea where the Avedis medium is either......need to track that down too.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I have a very healthy number of hats and rides from every major manufacturer, but for everyday gigging, I use just a handful of cymbals: Sabian Hand Hammered 14" Regular Hats, 15-20" V Crashes, AA 18" Medium Crash as a crash/ride, and occasionally a 20" AA Medium Ride (then the 18" may become a crash.) On the road I use Paragons: 14" Hats, 16/18/20" Crashes, 22" Ride and 20" Chinese.

The reason I have additional cymbals is to capture sounds as needed in the studio, or occasionally live, but I'm very happy with the main cymbals I use.

As for adding to your arsenal, what kind of sounds are you looking for? The major companies offer almost every conceivable sound you can imagine, and there are specialty companies for more unique sounds.

Bermuda

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I've has two rides forever:

20" Zildjian Z Heavy Power Ride for loud rock situations.
20" K Heavy ride for everything else.

For me, those two rides have gotten me through any and every musical situation I've found myself in.

For hats:
Main pair for years and years: Zildjian 14" Quickbeat bottom with New Beat top.

Then if I needed an x-hat, I have 14" Z Dyno Beats. They never get used as a main pair.

Then a few years ago I bought 13" New Beats for one particular album, and they've more or less been my main pair since.

CRS556

I have a very healthy number of hats and rides from every major manufacturer, but for everyday gigging, I use just a handful of cymbals: Sabian Hand Hammered 14" Regular Hats, 15-20" V Crashes, AA 18" Medium Crash as a crash/ride, and occasionally a 20" AA Medium Ride (then the 18" may become a crash.) On the road I use Paragons: 14" Hats, 16/18/20" Crashes, 22" Ride and 20" Chinese.

The reason I have additional cymbals is to capture sounds as needed in the studio, or occasionally live, but I'm very happy with the main cymbals I use.

As for adding to your arsenal, what kind of sounds are you looking for? The major companies offer almost every conceivable sound you can imagine, and there are specialty companies for more unique sounds.

Bermuda
I currently have Sabian AAX Xcelerators and an XS20 ride. Im Looking at some of the HHX variety, possibly the HHX Groove hats. Not really sure about which ride, but hopefully ill be able to try some out at GC this weekend.

I picked up a HHX X-Plosion crash on ebay for a killer price the other night and that has inspired me to look at the HHX series.

Skulmoski

Gold Member
I've had a few, but here is what I've settled on:

Hi Hats
14" Zildjian A (1950s)
15"Zildjian A (1970s)

Rides
20" Spizzichino (rivets)
20" Spizzichino
22" Spizzichino Swish
24" Matt Bettis

GJS

opentune

Platinum Member
Currently:
!5" Dream Bliss hi hats
14" Zildjian New beats

21" Sabian HH Vintage ride
20" A Zildjian Canada 60's medium light ride
20" Paiste GB
22" A Zildjian 70's Medium Ride

looking to get rid of the last one, its too heavy, not very crashable.

I've been through at least 5 - 10 hihats and rides, a many year long journey looking for 'the one'. Finally I admitted to myself that cymbals are like underwear and you have to switch pairs once in awhile :)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I currently have Sabian AAX Xcelerators and an XS20 ride. Im Looking at some of the HHX variety, possibly the HHX Groove hats. Not really sure about which ride, but hopefully ill be able to try some out at GC this weekend.
Sadly, GC doesn't carry a very complete selection of cymbals (you'd really be stuck if you want Paiste or Meinl!) But they might have something that stands out and catches your ear. But understand that if they don't, it's only because their selection is limited, not for lack of great Sabian hats & rides!

Bermuda

CRS556

Sadly, GC doesn't carry a very complete selection of cymbals (you'd really be stuck if you want Paiste or Meinl!) But they might have something that stands out and catches your ear. But understand that if they don't, it's only because their selection is limited, not for lack of great Sabian hats & rides!

Bermuda
Yeah I have experienced this first hand before. Sadly, the only place nearby where I can try out gear is at GC.

opentune

Platinum Member
I was recently shopping for a ride and tested the HHX 21 Groove ride (among many others). I have to say they hit it out of the park with that one. Its a little on the dark side though, but a great ride. I hear good things about the HHX hats too. This line is not cheap though.

But I ended up with the HH 21 Vintage. Needed a little more bright with my setup.

brady

Platinum Member
I was thinking last night and realized I have been playing the same pair of hi hats and ride for almost 10 years now. I love both of these cymbals, but am thinking about investing in a new ride and pair of hats. I kind of want to change up my sound.

So, how many do you own (of each)? And what are they (brand/ model)?
What kind of change are looking to make?

I play a lot of blues and jazz so I have quite a few more rides than hats. I'm kind of a Zildjian guy...

Rides:
20" K Con Medium
20" A Custom Flat
20" K Light Flat
19" Armand Beautiful Baby (3 rivets)
20" K Custom Dark Ride
20" K Custom Medium

Hats:
14" K Custom Dark
14" K Hats
14" New Beats

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I use one ride and 1 pair of hats for everything. I have a half dozen other sets for convenience, but when I play out it's always the same ride, same hats for everything. Not telling what kind, that's my secret!

alparrott

Platinum Member
I have one ride (a 20" K Custom) and two sets of hats (a 13" K/Z set and a 14" A ZMAC set - like two top New Beats) that I have used for about 25 years now. If I were to get a second ride I would probably be looking at either a Sweet Ride or an AA Bash Ride for a little washier, crashier ride sound.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Hats
Istanbul Mehmet 15" Turks​
Turkish 14" (not sure what line)​
Zildjian Special Recording 10"​
Paiste 14" red Colorsound 5​
Sabian David Garibaldi 13"​
Rides
Istanbul Mehmet 20" Turk​
Istanbul Agop 19" Turk​
Zildjian 18" Breakbeat​
Paiste 20" red Colorsound 5​
Sabian 22" AA​

porter

Platinum Member
A week ago, I had 4 rides and 6 hihat cymbals (i mix and match), then I sold two rides (21" HHX Legacy and 20" HHX Omni). Here's what I have after buying two:

Rides- 20" Mb20 Heavy Bell, 20" Dream Dark Matter Energy, 20" Byzance Traditional Extra Thin Hammered (technically a crash), and a 22" Saluda Raw Top.

Hi-hats- 14" Byzance Dark Spectrum top & bottom, 14" Saluda Raw Top... top, 14" Saluda Glory Vented bottom, 14" A Custom EFX, and 14" Zildjian "New Alloy" crash.

I also ride on my 18" Byzance Vintage crash.

GeoB

Gold Member
I'm down to one 20" Avedis ride... yay!

I'm thinking about an old large Avedis sizzle ride.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Three!

I have a 22" K Light Ride I pair with 17" A thin crashes for hats, and a 20" K Custom Dark Ride I pair with 14" New Beats, and a 19" Medium Thin Crash/Ride I pair with 15" New Beats. And sometimes I intermix them ;)

Bull

Gold Member
14" Zildjian New Beats 1979 or 80
15" Zildjian New Beats 2014
21" Zildjian Rock Ride 1980
22" Sabian HH Power Bell Ride ?
23" Meinl Byzance Traditional Ride 2012

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Oooh I do love these threads.

Hats (2):
15" 70's New Beats. I use them for almost everything
13" mish-mash pair. Consists of an old un lathed cymbal and a cracked 17" Zildjian crash that I cut down to 13".

Rides (6):
20" El Sabor ride
20" Carl Allen ride
20" Hand Hammered Manhattan ride - drilled for 9 rivets
22" Hand Hammered Manhattan ride
22" K Dark Medium ride
24" APX ride. Never use it, may sell it.