How many of you use all dark sounding cymbals in your setup?

Muckster

Platinum Member
I tend to elevate towards dark ride cymbals. My work horse ride is a 20" K Custom. I also use a 20" K Custom Dark as well and for a different voice, i use a 20" K Custom Flat Ride.

As far as crashes go, i use A's and Hybrids. I like very bright crashes no matter what the style of music.

groove1

Silver Member
For the jazz small groups I'm playing with I lean towards a darker sound using
all K's except for a Sabian Artisan Vault Crash (which is dark also). I have brighter
rides and crashes for other groups when needed.

Last edited:

Otto

Platinum Member
I always find darker cymbals fighting with other instruments in the mix...sometimes even snare/tom frequencies so I tend to avoid them.

They sound great and impart a feel difficult to mimick with playing technique(you can lift lower frequencies from a crash by solidly swiping a bit to impart more dominate longer wave circular vibrations...but I cant consistantly approach a nice dark crash)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I don't consider the Zildjian K's dark at all, even if they say dark. The Constantinoples... I do consider them to be dark. To me dark means the darker offerings from actual Turkish cymbal makers. I have a few newer K Zildjian's that are stamped dark that don't hit me as dark at all. I wouldn't term them bright, but they're not dark either, to my ear.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I don't consider the Zildjian K's dark at all, even if they say dark. The Constantinoples... I do consider them to be dark. To me dark means the darker offerings from actual Turkish cymbal makers. I have a few newer K Zildjian's that are stamped dark that don't hit me as dark at all. I wouldn't term them bright, but they're not dark either, to my ear.
I guess Zildjian make the call relative to their own sound spectrum though, as opposed to any number of other Turkish cymbal makers. Put a K next to an A Custom.....or even an A, and it's noticeably darker.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Pocket-full-of-gold said:
Put a K next to an A Custom.....or even an A, and it's noticeably darker.
Right, but then try putting that K up against a Sabian AA or AAX and you'll see a much closer resemblance. If you're used to Sabian bright, about anything from Zildjian that isn't a K Con will sound brighter.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
In response to the original poster, all of my regular cymbals are dark. I play Dream, Agop, Murat Diril and Paiste on my kit. Each cymbal is from a different manufacturer! I don't like getting into 'cutting competitions' with other players and much prefer to blend when possible. Not competing requires finesse and understanding but means that I can hear other players better and respond more musically to their playing.

Mark_S

Silver Member
The closest I've got to a dark crash cymbal is a Paiste 18" Signature Fast Crash. I never used to like dark cymbals but they've grown on me a lot. One of my sets of hats are dark crisp hats, love 'em.

I think if I was to start again with my cymbal collection, I would lean more to the dark side ;-)

dmacc

Platinum Member
IMO - "Dark sounding" is relevant to the line of cymbal and the player.

Playing Agop and Bosphorus, I use and purposely select dark sounding cymbals to my ear. Some are more dark than others though.

Regardless of how dark they sound - they need to be musical and responsive to my ears. Usually translates to a lighter weight cymbal for me.

BabyBob

Silver Member
Well my hats isn't the really that dark...more like the brighter side of dark...It's a 13" HH Fusion Hats.