How many of you drink while you're gigging?

supermac

Maybe a controversial subject, but the (bar) band I'm in enjoy a few beers when we're playing.

If we were playing professionally at MSG or London 02 Arena, I'm sure we'd stay sober! But for the purposes of local gigs, like playing at the Dog and Duck pub, we'll always have a drink or three.

Also if we were playing speed metal or Dream Theater, it wouldn't be physically - or mentally - possible to drink and perform, but as we play weekend blues/rock/funk/swing, it's never been detrimental.

Incidentally, we're all good, experienced players who take the music seriously.

I'd be interested to hear what people's take is on drinking and drumming/gigging.

Blisco

No more than one drink in a set.
Same here except one before and one after.

I don't like to be drunk and especially have to play. Plus, getting older makes it far more painful during and in the morning.

I would say my disposition is to be just slightly buzzed and loose. I'm fortunate I play in a band where we all like to have just a couple and don't get carried away.

I've also found that a light drinking band is good for business. I've had bar owners relate horror stories of bands and I'm proud to assure them we are pros and won't come close to drinking our tab. They like that. We get asked back a lot more because of it.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I may have one before, but I never set myself up to be impaired at a gig. That just isn't fair to your bandmates, your audience, or yourself. On the other hand, this is not a 9-to-5 job and it's supposed to be fun, especially if you and your bandmates are friends doing what friends do.

I did at one point witness a band with whom our band was sharing a bill, drinking heavily before their set and then slamming shot after shot after their set until having to be physically carried out of the club by their friends. They were playing some impenetrable, soulless math rock (and for me, that's saying something). It might have sounded good to them. I hope they're all still alive and healthy.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I may drink a beer before/during the first set, and before/during the last. If it's a concert-type thing, I won't have alcohol on stage-- I don't think it looks good.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Yep, it's a controversial subject. It's really nobody's business. It's like forming an opinion about how someone takes their coffee. As long as we're not talking about slobs there's really nothing new to glean.
I drink as many beers as I feel like, which is usually three to five, but I'm not about to stand around getting bored without a drink of some sort in my hand and juice or soda is a sugary menace to me.

On a different note, I hate the word sober. It implies a state of non drunkenness as if the sober person was previously a sause.

I reject feigning any sort of affinity towards teetotaling buzzkills.

D

drumming sort of person

If you don't take your playing seriously and don't care how your music sounds go ahead and drink. And then after you finish, you can load up your drums, get in your car and drive home. Smart.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I drink bitter shandy when playing. It's my compromise. I have no more than 4 pints over a 6 hour period including a meal. That's the equivalent of 2 pints of weak beer. Over such a period, & with food in there too, my blood alcohol content is so minimal it's not worth thinking about.

FreDrummer

Silver Member
I would say my disposition is to be just slightly buzzed and loose. I'm fortunate I play in a band where we all like to have just a couple and don't get carried away.

I've also found that a light drinking band is good for business. I've had bar owners relate horror stories of bands and I'm proud to assure them we are pros and won't come close to drinking our tab. They like that. We get asked back a lot more because of it.
That describes our band to a "T." We are very meticulous and show up WAY early to set up/sound-check for our 4-hour gigs. I usually end up having about 4 beers over a 7-8 hour period.

steadypocket

Gold Member
Three beers at a gig is typical for me. My playing doesn't suffer any and in fact, improves some as I'm more relaxed. I realize there is that other side of the bell curve when my playing worsens so I'm careful not to get near that. I'm a weekend warrior, doing this for fun. I'm going to enjoy myself, cognizant of the fact that I am getting paid to perform and I have to conduct myself in a competent manner on stage.