How many have matching snare finish & brand with rest of kit?

DaleClark

I don't myself. I do have a Ludwig Supraphonic that is technically a match. Most local bands I see in pretty much any genre has a mis matched snare. I know many recording artist will play unmatched kits (example Peart played Yamaha snares on Vapor Trails) and cymbals for recording studio purposes.

Just curious

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
When I got my Ludwig black oysters recently, I was content to play it with my Supraphonic that I already had, but I just had to get a matching snare to see what that would sound like - and that's become my favorite snare now. The Supra comes along on gigs in a bag ready as a backup, but my matching classic maple 6.5x14 sounds great. I've even learned to love the original P-88 strainer (or whatever that number is of their new strainer - it does it's job very well).

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I still have the stock 6.5"x14" snare that came with my Ludwig Element Birch kit that I bought a couple years ago. I actually use it at band practice with my SC kit (he he he). I also changed out the 1.3mm hoops for die cast hoops. It's actually a very nice snare - worth keeping.

AxisDrummer

My stock snare was the only snare I DIDN'T use (Tama Silverstar Birch.)

Now I have a Tama Starclassic B/B that didn't include a snare. I prefer a brass or acrylic for playing live. I do have a Ludwig Maple Salesman that I have used on occasion.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
My Saturns came with a matching snare and my PDP Concept Maples have a matching snare. I guess, technically, I have a matching steel snare to go with my old Tama Rockstars as well. Other than those 3, all my other snares are one offs.

DaleClark

I saw a local jazzy band a couple years back. The drummer had black yamahas...but the snare looked vintage (rims had rust tarnish) and was in Marine pearl white. I believe it was an old Gretsch. It was not a yamaha or ludwig...since I recognize those lugs. Snare sounded fabulous

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Have a matching snare, it came with the kit. It's a fairly cheap 6 x 14 Gretsch Catalina Maple snare drum. When I first got my kit I had one hell of a time learning how to tune that drum, but now it sounds great for a cheapie snare drum. I don't really play it too much though because I have my LM402 Supraphonic that I absolutely love.

There's something classy looking about a nice shiny chrome snare drum sitting behind a "finished" drum set!!

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I have the matching snare for my DW kit, but it spend most of its time in it's case. I haven't used it in probably 7 years or so.

evilg99

Platinum Member
I have the matching snares for most of my kits, but rarely EVER play them with their matching kit, always mixing it up.

One of my most often played combos is a Yamaha MIJ Yellow Sparkle Maple Custom Absolute kit with an Green Sparkle Hybrid Maple snare. It's my 'lemon lime' kit. Way cooler than a matching snare.

Contrast it cool. I tend to think of matching snares like a completely symmetrical light show : boring. That's just my wacky sense of design.

It has way more to do with cosmetics than sound, most of my snares are wood and can do whatever I need them to do - dry/wet/ or tune lower (or higher) better than others...

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have a Tama Birch performer kit and lately I've been using the snare with it. The last 2 Yamaha kits I've owned I used a different snares. I didn't even buy one for my BCAN kit, was using a 60s Rogers Dyna. COB back then. I sold that one for some cym. $

M

MasterBlaster

I do, and just for the sake of having pics in this thread, I'll show it.

I've already have a buyer for it so I can jump UP a notch.

I've since removed those hyd heads, baybee...

Attachments

M

MasterBlaster

What/who's that?

Funny how the VF stick was placed just right, lol!

Morrisman

Platinum Member
For years my only snare was the matching one. These days I have lots of choices, so I rarely use the mtching snare(s).

AzHeat

Platinum Member
The only time I’ve had a matching snare was on my PDP MX set. The weakest link in the whole set. I’ve had same brand snare’s but even then they had different lugs than the set. A month ago I bought a Gretsch snare and the first ever to have matching lugs, but it’s bronze, in a different series with different hoops and badge. In edition to that snare I have a Tama Bubinga and Mapex Sledgehammer. All thne up differtly with different sound signatures. Can’t imagine being forced to stick to just one!

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I do have the matching colour now. For few years I have had the Signia snare but cherry colour. When I had the opportunity to get the same in white, I jumped in.