How Have You Left A Band/Project on Good Terms?

Ian Ballard

Silver Member
I am a freelance/for-hire drummer. I have no interest in being "in a band" in terms of contracting beyond the gigs or studio sessions themselves. It's understood form the get-go that I am to paid as a contracted performer and NOT "as a member of the band". If I show up and the band says I'm splitting "door money", I demand a retainer in advance or don't play the gig. Usually that doesn't happen because they know the deal beforehand. I did the "band thing" many years ago and it sucked.

I am a freelance/for-hire drummer. I have no interest in being "in a band" in terms of contracting beyond the gigs or studio sessions themselves. It's understood form the get-go that I am to paid as a contracted performer and NOT "as a member of the band". If I show up and the band says I'm splitting "door money", I demand a retainer in advance or don't play the gig. Usually that doesn't happen because they know the deal beforehand. I did the "band thing" many years ago and it sucked.
Has that ever kept you from getting hired or turned people off in any way? Around this
city, no one really wants to "hire" someone unless it's a cover band a solo artist.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I left a band I was in years ago and actually ended up filling in a couple of times for the guy who replaced me. It was simply a case where I wanted to go on and do something different. I told the guys I was leaving, and gave them time to find a suitable replacement (which I actually recommended). No need for animosity, I really just wanted to go and they understood. I have been in a number of bands throughout the years and have left for a variety of reasons, none of them ended in any type of anger.

FoolInTheRain

I've left several bands on good terms. I either just wasn't into it or I simply didn't have the time, so I just came out with it. In a couple, it was kind of a mutual realization that it wasn't going to get off the ground so we all just never showed up the next rehearsal and never spoke of it again.

There's only been one band departure that left bad blood. At the time it was this big deal, but in hindsight it was just stupid because none of us were going anywhere fast anyway lol.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
If it's not working for you just be honest about that.

If you want to be nice help out until they find a replacement. That's not always possible if you have another thing, if you're moving far away or something like that.

No use beating a dead horse. Doesn't help you or them.

If there's some real issues and you know you won't be able to explain them, then just understand who you're talking to. If you're leaving you're leaving. As soon as you mention that, the process will start on it's own anyway.

Just watch your reputation. Things spread in the music world sadly wether they are true or not.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Yes.

Once the guitar player and bass player had a blow out. And we all realized we were just frustrated over not finding a singer we really liked, and we decided we all wanted to try finding something else. We all remained good friends.

Another time, the reason the band stopped involved some drama, but it had nothing to do with me. I remained good friends everyone. The guitar player was one of the groomsmen in my wedding

My last band never broke up, life just got into the way. We're all still good friends. Although it helped that we had an agreement before hand the band would only do one album and then everyone had the option of moving on with no hard feelings. The maturing of having been though enough band drama break ups in the past lead to us realizing before hand, no matter what, we wouldn't go down that road.

And yes, free lance gigs, most of those are just for a night, or a week, or whatever, so it's meant to be a temporary situation.