How does one get this drum sound?

Ouronomos

Hey guys.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TbgTbDdgI&feature=plcp

How does one get the drum sound in that link. Nice and slappy and wet. He stated in one of his comments that he doesn't use triggers at all, but I can't ask him about his tuning since his last activity is the 4th of February, 2011.

Can anyone of you tell me how to tune your batter and resonant heads to achieve this. Any other tips and tricks are welcome, e.g. compression, should I use more, less or no pillows. Please note that I can't use triggers at all since I am still a student and have no money at all for drum modules, triggers, etc. I also have no recording mic's if it matters.

Other info: I have a Ludwig Accent CS Combo bass drum with it's factory resonant head. I have a Remo Powerstroke 3 batter head. My beaters are Mapex Falcon plastic beaters. I also have a kickpad.

Thanks!

P.S. Even though I am mainly into progressive metal, I like to have my "speedy" double bass moments. So it must have a short sustain since a "boomy" won't work at high speeds. :p

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You get that drum, those heads, know what mixer and recording advice is being used, etc. You may come close.

From the video:

No triggers, just good equalizing and compression added to give the slap sound, added with using wooden beaters and certain way of tuning to give a low end after the click sound, also the mic position is paramount, took me ages (months) to get the sound I wanted for my kick, also whats nice is that I can reduce the compression setting lower so i could have a warmer sound for the kick for different types of music, so overall im very happy with this setup,

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Tune both heads as low as they will go whilst still producing a tone. EQ 50Hz about + 3db, 125Hz about -2db, 2kHz + 2db, & apply liberal amounts of compression. Personally, I think it's like being slapped in the face with a dead herring, but if it does it for you, then great :)

Ouronomos

Thanks guys for the replies so far! I've also read about a few people tuning their resonant heads tight and their batter heads loose.

Tune both heads as low as they will go whilst still producing a tone. EQ 50Hz about + 3db, 125Hz about -2db, 2kHz + 2db, & apply liberal amounts of compression. Personally, I think it's like being slapped in the face with a dead herring, but if it does it for you, then great :)
I honestly don't know what you just said there, can you perhaps explain more on how to determine these "numbers" when tuning? Sorry I'm still new to the whole tuning thing.