How do you mark your stands?

E

etravisking

Every night, esp. when your on tour, I know I like to keep my set up exactly the same. How do you mark your stands so you will have them the exact same place every night?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I use memory locks where possible.
If I can't use a memory lock, then a simple hose clamp is next best thing to mark heights, and even how far to spread a tripod base.

To mark tilter angles, and where a clamp is impractical, I forgot where I got the idea from, but I use a tiny bit of finger nail polish.

Unlike tape, it doesn't come off or leave a sticky residue.
And if you do want to remove it, a small q-tip of finger nail polish will remove it.
Neither the polish nor the remover appears to have any ill affects on the chrome.

I use black nail polish, it's unnoticeable from the audience point of view. I know it sounds crazy, but it works.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I use a black Sharpie pen to mark stands.
You can also use it on your rug to mark foot locations.
If the marks fade, I simply re-mark them.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Yep I used to use the old sharpie as well and never had a problem. Just saw a post the other day someone suggested using hose clamps like memory locks which is an interesting idea as well.

yesdog

Silver Member
I use a sharpie memory locks, I also have a drum rug that I stenciled out my drum set up on.
I used a thick black permanent marker to trace out were my cymbal stands, floor tom, hi hat,bass drum spurs , snare stand, and tom stand. with memory locks and stand hight's marked with a sharpie and my rug, I get my kit set up in 15 minutes and its the same every time nothing out of position. By marking the rug it makes set very quick.

zakhopper316

Silver Member
will someone please explain to me how memory locks work. i feel like i should know this, i have been playing for 10 years but i have had the same kit for a long time and dont think i have them on my hardware because i use a marker. the picture just looks like your average clamp.
thanks.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Just by looking at the question, I'm surprised no one has responded "with urine".

I kid, of course ;)

Yo!

I use a label maker to make a 1, 2 and 3 for my floor tom legs, and for the drum itself. I cut out the tiny numbers, and wrap a small piece of clear tape around on the legs at my preferred height level to keep the sticker from going anywhere. On the leg brackets I just stick the numbers somewhere inconspicuous.

Gets the job done and looks neat.

Otherwise my snare stands and cymbal stands are done by memory.