How do I get my drum kit to sound like this ?

Mukund

Hey everyone !

Okay so I'm not at all good at tuning and because of that I use the tune bot to tune my drums.For some reason I'm still not getting a good sound out of my kit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJowcCahROy/?taken-by=samapplebaum

The video^-Sam Applebaum(Veil of Maya) jamming to some stuff.

I have the exact same kit with the exception of the snare and cymbals and my room is around that size only.(and using evans heads and not the stock heads)

My drums sound quite loud and resonate a lot compared to the above video(might be how the video was recorded?)(and yes I've tried tuning the top head lower and bottom head higher) and my kick doesn't have that punch like the kit in the video.

How to I get my drum kit to sound like his ?

porter

Platinum Member
They're very colored by the recording device, that's all I can say about his video – there's not a loud of audio information about the kit in that capture. Tuning is an art and it can take a long time to get acquainted with your kit in your room with your technique and get sounds you like out of them, Tune-bot or none. One suggestion for the kick is to use a wood or plastic beater – looks like he's using a plastic beater in some other photos but I can't tell exactly what kind. Good luck.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
There's a pitch bend on the toms. That usually means uneven tuning between the batter-to-resonant. Other than that, there's no 'note' to work with.

Using a tunebot is fine but it's only really useful when you can manually tune to begin with.

D

drumming sort of person

How to I get my drum kit to sound like his ?
You mean like wet paper bags? Simple. Use 2-ply batter heads and tension them as low as you can. Basically just tight enough to get rid of any wrinkles. Then tension the resonant heads about a tone or two higher in pitch.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Of course, it's all personal taste, but I can't help wondering why someone would want their kit sounding like that. It's not terrible, & I've sure heard worse, but it's far from great, irrespective of what sound you're shooting for.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
How do you get that sound? Lots of moon gel.

Those drums are not tuned, they're simply tensioned... but barely.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Use Evans EC2 heads on top.

Start low. Throw one or two rods out of tune and tighten the others until you get that low moan.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I think the root of the "problem" here is the age-old disconnect between the sound of drums in a recording and the sound of real live drums.

In a recording you're hearing a sound that is compressed and EQ'd to some degree, as well as the high probability that you aren't listening to that video clip through your speakers at the same volume as what was actually happening in the room they were recorded in.

Drums are loud, and they resonate a lot. Much of that gets filtered out in the recording process and doesn't really translate when listening back, but the only real way to make drums sound like they do in a recording is to record them.

porter

Platinum Member
Drums are loud, and they resonate a lot. Much of that gets filtered out in the recording process and doesn't really translate when listening back, but the only real way to make drums sound like they do in a recording is to record them.
Especially given that this recording sounds to me like it was from a smartphone mic.

iwearnohats

Silver Member
Maybe a bit of Tuning-101 is in order?

You say you don't know how to tune particularly well. Ok, so the best starting point (with your toms) is to remove your batter heads, and tune the resonants to the point where they have a nice clean tone. Check the tension at each lug by muting the head with a fingertip in the middle, and then tap the head in front of each lug to ensure they have a consistent pitch.

Then put the batter head on, tune it up (I prefer to tune high then detune) to the point where you then have a nice, rounded, sustained tone from the drum.

Once you are comfortable tuning the drum to this point, that's when you can experiment with slightly up-or-de-tuning the batter or resonant to change the sustain and attack of the drums.

Don't add muffling to compensate for poor tuning. Muffling is a tool used again to adjust the overall sound of the drum. Personally I leave all my toms wide open.

Snare drum is generally a matter of personal taste and experimentation. Personally I've always favourite having the resonant head very tight, and then finding the drum's 'sweet spot' with the batter head. I prefer a higher sounding drum so my primary snare these days is usually a 13" as I don't like the sound of a choked 14".

Just try and get used to finding those baselines and experiment from there :)

But certainly don't base your drum tuning goals off that video. It sounds terrible. Also, drums are meant to be loud :) wear earplugs!

M

Matt Bo Eder

It looks like a basic iPhone video. I thought it was going to be a full-on album recording, in which case I would "you can't".

But in this case, you can. The toms sound de-tuned. So as someone already said here, tune low. Bass drum sounds like there's a pillow in it, so get one in yours. Snare sounds normal-to-tight, which again is a basic starting point.

It does give me the impression it's at least a 2-track recording, because it obviously sounds like there's a kick drum mic placed inside the drum, and at least one mic over the center to pick up the rest of the kit, or maybe it's closer to the snare drum, since that drum sounds more pronounced than the rest.

Mukund

Thanks guys !
I guess I should let my drums breathe a little but well personally I do like dry sounding drums.
But nevertheless I'll play around and try to get a desired sound.