How Can You Sell a High-End Kit When Everyone is Broke?

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I haven't seen or heard of a single person who has sold anything in the classified section of this forum. It's a wasteland of random posts that is completely unorganized and unsearchable.
While I did sell my Saturn IV's I had listed on here, I think the guy saw them on craigslist. I agree with Tommy that the classifieds on here are very difficult to navigate.

I'd buy the above ( ^^^ ) RC kit if it was in the states !!

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
My story at the moment.

Trying to sell a 6 piece DW. A few years a go here in Europe (Dw is still quite a niche because of the price, 5k 4 or 5 piece kits are regular) people would jump on it. Not these times.

Ive noticed, people are keeping the clutch on the wallet these times, because of less money to spend and much more drum available for less money when bought new nowadays.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I haven't seen or heard of a single person who has sold anything in the classified section of this forum. It's a wasteland of random posts that is completely unorganized and unsearchable.
I have sold, traded and bought products from this forum and it's members. Not quite the wasteland you profess.

Bad Tempered Clavier

Silver Member
Things wax and wane so if you can sit it out, let time be on your side.

Good luck!
Thanks -- I'll need it!

Wait it out, my friend.
Will probably have to ...

Sell everything individually
Might try that ...

Love the Rc's especially in cherry red or piano black.
Yes -- am kind of hoping that this finish will appeal as it's not (?) one of the new ones.

simply refuse to participate in any economic downturn
Ha! Best advice so far :)

I'd buy the above ( ^^^ ) RC kit if it was in the states !!
If you ever make it over here, it'll probably still be for sale ;)

Whereabouts in the UK are you?
Bedfordshire

Ive noticed, people are keeping the clutch on the wallet these times,
Whereas I think that's true generally -- I wonder who, for example, is buying the brand new RCs (or any other high-end kit)? If everyone is skint, then how are they managing to shift drum new kits for nearly 3,000 GBP? Maybe they aren't?

Cheers everyone ...

RockNGrohl

I'm having the same issues. For my 20th year of drumming, I decided to look into buying my favorite new kit i've been lusting after for a few years. Watched demos, seen them in the shop, and found one from a dealer eager to sell on Ebay for a nice low price. (Scratched drum heads, take them home with you please!) I got what I wanted and new hardware to boot I had saved up for. I jumped on it knowing the kit would be gone soon and I'd never see it again for that price ever anytime soon.

Problem is I had planned to sell my old set first. (Have a smaller gigging kit to use in the meantime). And now I can't sell it. They are a little worn, but really not much. No beat up much at all in my opinion anyways. Wear on the bass hoops,s mall marks on the cymbal stands from wear. (It's a twelve year old kit!) The big local drum shop won't take it at all because of the market. The guy there kind of didn't want to take the time to even look but did and gave me stern advice on selling it, IF I even could and I can't. The drums are Mapex Pro M's from 2001-2 when they were just first introduced in Ice Blue lacquer. (Blue with small sparkles to white.). I want to sell it all together a kit with the hardware package that came it. 22" Kick 12" 13" 16" toms and matching 14" snare. Toms are deeper. Hi hat, bass pedal, snare stand, two straight cymbal stands, one boom stand, tom legs and mounts. plus a throne i'll throw in for free as well. $500. But I've put it up everywhere and no follow ups on offers. Two calls with much interest, no further replies or call back. hmm.. While I'm not surprised, I still feel my kit with hardware is a nice value and so one should want it. It's a bummer though. I thinks its the deep toms and heavy duty hardware. People want shorter toms and light hardware. It's what I just bought for myself!! Haha!
I agree that the market sucks though. I fear I will ever sell them. Someone should be out there to buy them shouldn't they? And if not, what do i do with them? I might donate them to a school or music program, but I've been told a lot of schools here have no music programs anymore.. Bummer! Really?!? Ugh.. But I feel for ya! I know what it's like! Take my drums, please! (But pay me something good, too)

J

JohnoWorld

My response to this is thus:

Years ago, I'd be one of the people buying kits like this. I went through 2 Mapex's (Mars/Orion), 3 Pearls (2 x BRX + MMX) 2 x DW Collectors (Birch and then Maple) before settling on a Sonor Delite.

Those were the days when the market wasn't quite so saturated, I was single and spending all my disposable income on drums.

Nowadays, apart from there being fewer drummers, there is less money to go round, plus less space to play them.

Add to that that if you spend upwards of £1000 then the differences in kits are so small that it just isn't worth spending the money. I speak from experience here. For me, the full spectrum of the drum kit sound exists somewhere in-between DW (long sustain, pronounced note) and Sonor (full bodied, shorter sustain, more projection).

In my view, Sonor and DW represent the extremes of mass-produced drum sounds, everything else sits somewhere in-between (sound-wise).

So once you have 1 top end kit, there is truly no good reason to swap it out for another, even more so now when we can all see through all the marketing guff

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
In my view, Sonor and DW represent the extremes of mass-produced drum sounds, everything else sits somewhere in-between (sound-wise).
I would love to hear more commentary on this from your experiences. This sounds interesting. Another thread maybe?

J

JohnoWorld

I would love to hear more commentary on this from your experiences. This sounds interesting. Another thread maybe?
I would mate, but I'm lazy :) but I'll give you a bit of background.....

My experiences with all these kits has been really frustrating. I've tried all the kits in a gig, live practice and home playing situations and they're all pretty much spot on.

They all change with different heads too, some work well with dual-ply, others don't.

Like DW, I had the most trouble with the Collectors maple/birch. Personally I think I just got duff ones as they had just switched from Keller shells to their own (black badge to gold badge) and just couldn't get a decent sound out of the larger drums. 8s, 10s, 12s and snare were awesome, but the larger drums just weren't as good as others.

In the end I went for the best compromise, Sonor. I also had a Yamaha Stage Custom with EC2 heads on that sounded excellent, however now I have a Sonor Prolite in Nussbaum and I am currently experimenting with heads, got some Evans black Onyx to try this week.

In conclusion, they're all pretty much the same, just pick whatever brand you feel most comfortable with. Then when you're rich and can afford anything, just go custom and see how many more options there are then.

It's also worth noting that I only sold 2 of those kits on ebay for much too cheap, the rest I part-ex'd at my local shop, which no longer exists. Scheerers in Leeds were the best drum shop ever, but just closed down one day when everyone started buying everything on ebay.

If you're not willing to try and offer the drums at a price that makes people sit up and take notice, or part-ex them in for less than you think they're worth, you'll never sell em. I am the same when I sell cars.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Here is my kit for sale: Would you buy these drums?

There are two other Pro M kits being sold in that finish on Reverb right now. One is a 4-piece for $250 and the other is a 5-piece for $350. There's a 6-piece set for $1,600 (good luck on that one!).

If you are willing to ship, this may help out quite a bit. In addition, they may be worth more to you than what you can get for them. For example, I have an old 6-piece set of Tama Rockstars sitting on a shelf in my basement right now. They are from the early 1990s, and I would be lucky to get $150-$200 for them. They are worth more for me to keep as opposed to trying to sell them.

Just my $.02.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
My question is this: what can you do with a high-end kit when no one will buy it?
Create your buyer.

I purchased as many Recording Custom drums from the Japanese factory as I could afford the final month before Yamaha pulled the plug on the RC line.

Shells were flying off the shelf at the Japanese factory and the word I heard from a Yamaha rep is that most of the purchasers were recording companies snagging up a lot of the remaining inventory.

Consider putting together a nice promo package--print or media--on your kit and start approaching recording companies for a direct sale.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I buy and sell kits fairly frequently. I've found you have to be willing to sit on a kit if it doesn't sell right away at the price you wish to get. If you can't afford to do that, you shouldn't buy another kit until you can sell the one you have. Some of the best deals can be had on kits that dealers have had in stock for over two-three years, otherwise known as "new/old stock".

That said, when selling, fair pricing and good photos are EVERYTHING. Make your ad informative and have GREAT photos. I can't believe the dodgy photos people use in ads sometimes. When selling used I try to stay in the $800-1399 range, ( i.e Renown, Saturn, Starclassic ) as that's where most working people tend to gravitate when they are ready to upgrade from their Meridians, Catalinas etc.

One problem with older Mapex's is that the company doesn't have the history that say maybe Ludwig, Gretsch and others have. People are "scared" to try something new I've found. It's going to take someone that is looking for that particular model and in the sizes they want. Another consideration with Mapex is that people who are onto them are all gaga over the Saturns, and rightly so. I recently sold a Saturn IV kit for more than I paid for it. Perception, Quality, Condition and most of all Demand are big factors when selling. Color/Finish is another big factor.

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I would mate, but I'm lazy :) but I'll give you a bit of background.....

My experiences with all these kits has been really frustrating. I've tried all the kits in a gig, live practice and home playing situations and they're all pretty much spot on.

They all change with different heads too, some work well with dual-ply, others don't.

Like DW, I had the most trouble with the Collectors maple/birch. Personally I think I just got duff ones as they had just switched from Keller shells to their own (black badge to gold badge) and just couldn't get a decent sound out of the larger drums. 8s, 10s, 12s and snare were awesome, but the larger drums just weren't as good as others.

In the end I went for the best compromise, Sonor. I also had a Yamaha Stage Custom with EC2 heads on that sounded excellent, however now I have a Sonor Prolite in Nussbaum and I am currently experimenting with heads, got some Evans black Onyx to try this week.

In conclusion, they're all pretty much the same, just pick whatever brand you feel most comfortable with. Then when you're rich and can afford anything, just go custom and see how many more options there are then.

It's also worth noting that I only sold 2 of those kits on ebay for much too cheap, the rest I part-ex'd at my local shop, which no longer exists. Scheerers in Leeds were the best drum shop ever, but just closed down one day when everyone started buying everything on ebay.

If you're not willing to try and offer the drums at a price that makes people sit up and take notice, or part-ex them in for less than you think they're worth, you'll never sell em. I am the same when I sell cars.
Thanks for overcoming your laziness for a few minutes. :)

I have a friend who's owned all kinds of sets, one of which was a set of DW's (post-Keller era). He swears up and down that the ONLY heads that sound good on them are the factory heads. He tried a bunch of different heads, and nothing sounded nearly as good as the factory heads with those control rings.

In regards to parting out kits, he said he has a lot of just random/orphan toms that have been selling really well on Reverb.

Thanks again!

J

JohnoWorld

Thanks for overcoming your laziness for a few minutes. :)

I have a friend who's owned all kinds of sets, one of which was a set of DW's (post-Keller era). He swears up and down that the ONLY heads that sound good on them are the factory heads. He tried a bunch of different heads, and nothing sounded nearly as good as the factory heads with those control rings.

In regards to parting out kits, he said he has a lot of just random/orphan toms that have been selling really well on Reverb.

Thanks again!
No worries, I was un-busy at work so I thought I'd elaborate :)

You're friend is right, I never got them to sound as good with the factory heads either. They're not bad drums, just very particular to their head selection. Nice to hear I was not the only one

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
No worries, I was un-busy at work so I thought I'd elaborate :)

You're friend is right, I never got them to sound as good with the factory heads either. They're not bad drums, just very particular to their head selection. Nice to hear I was not the only one
I have to concur:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrfReNrvaso

Amazing. I think it has more to do with tuning. Listen to that 12'' it doesn't sound quite right, yet the rest...

belairien

Silver Member
One thing that doesn't help, at least in the states I don't know if other countries offer it, is all this 12 to 36 month financing. Sites here in the U.S. offer kits 800 dollars and up with down around 30 to 40 dollars a month with no interest.

So you get people thinking why drop 800 to 1200 in one go, new or used, when you can spend a mere 30 or so bucks a month on new gear? Or use a 3 or more month payment plan...

I used that through guitar center to get a guitar amp after blowing my cash on a new kit, and I don't miss the cash because it would have been spent on beer or something.