How can this be possible?

RollTheBones

So, I got back into drumming after a two-year break a few months ago, and I've been making more progress than ever. Only this time, I went with a two bass drum kit, because that's what's most comfortable to me. (Please, spare me about how having two bass drums is unnecessary)

I've been working on building my left foot, so I've done exercises and such. I've always been right-foot dominant on the bass drum. But one day, while playing "Them Bones" by AiC, I noticed my right foot was struggling to do the quick triple strokes found in the verses. On a whim, I started playing with my left foot, and I could do them with much better control and accuracy. This is perplexing to me, because despite the practice I do with my left foot, it's still not even 10 percent of my overall kick drum usage. When I do that triple hit with my right, I always miss the second hit, and it feels clunky and heavy, but with my underdeveloped left foot, I pull it off every single time without exceptions. Even stranger, I have no problem doing "Bonham triplets" with my right foot (think "Good Times, Bad Times), but you put that third hit in there, and it's an almost guaranteed miss.

How can this be possible? How am I messing up such a basic technique with my primary foot and nailing it so comfortably with the foot I only ever use when I'm doing double bass patterns or heavy metal stuff?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
A lot of maturing can happen in two years.

You may not have been at a drumkit, but you are still processing.

This would also be the reason to not burn oneself out, take a break once in a while and understand how our mind and body really learns.

Your left foot?

You probably just put the pedal in the right position to begin with and did what's natural without overthinking it.

Xeno

I tried that myself and I get almost the same thing. I think it feels that the muscles in my right calf feel tighter than my left, probably due to using my right kick much more than my left (I have 2 kicks but mainly use the left for fills and accents) which might mean your left feels looser and more relaxed.
Just a stab in the dark..

SYMBOLIC DEATH

A question for the OP, do you tap your left foot when you drive? It could also be that your left foot may be a little faster than your right with ankle strokes due to tapping your foot while you drive using ankle strokes. My left foot is faster using ankle strokes than my right, and I have a number of friends who are the same way. Just a thought.

MikeM

Platinum Member
A drummer friend of mine noticed a similar effect when playing a lefty kit (he's a righty). Only, what he noticed was that his left foot on bass drum made his pocket a little cleaner, if not quite as dextrous. So I tried it and sure enough, I got the same effect. Kinda cool, really.

I've since applied this phenomenon to my hands (by sometimes riding with my left on the hats) and the results have been eye-opening. My left hand has a lot less natural swing and swagger, and it's fun to experiment with pinning my time to my left side and the more straightened out feel that comes with it.

It's interesting that so many of us try to get our right and left sides to be equal in all things, so there was this "a-ha" moment when I realized that leveraging those differences can also be beneficial.

Sometimes imposing a "handicap" can make you rethink what you thought you already knew.

Ben Tama

Did you use the hi hat pedal a lot? For me, constant stepping on the hat pedal seems to have made my left leg stronger, except for my ankle.

RollTheBones

Thank you all for the replies. No, I never really keep time on the hihat or use my left foot for much of anything on the kit other than the left bass drum pedal. I guess it makes sense that my left foot is more relaxed than the right foot I'm always using and that's why it's more responsive, but this phenomenon I speak of happens whether I've been playing for two hours or two minutes. Way she goes, I guess.

D

drumming sort of person

How can this be possible? How am I messing up such a basic technique with my primary foot and nailing it so comfortably with the foot I only ever use when I'm doing double bass patterns or heavy metal stuff?
If you carefully analyze your feet and compare your left and right foot when you play it, I bet you will find some differences. Foot position, angle, etc. Little differences can result in drastic results. Also, your left foot is probably using different muscles (or more muscles) too. Bottom line is that your feet are playing the same thing, but doing it in very different ways.