How can I treat my rusty chrome rims?

JDC

I just bought a used Premier Genista with some pretty nasty hoops. I've owned Premiers before so I know how beautiful their chrome is. Just tried a bit of Coca Cola and aluminum foil. Worked like a charm.

My wife and I never drink soda, but as we were leaving Grandma's on Christmas night, she had a leftover 2-liter. I figured I'd just take it to do her a favor. Looks like she was doing me a favor!

Varying things to try that work:

- Coca-cola and a ball of aluminum foil: dip the foil in the coke, rub the foil on the rust.
- Soak in vinegar overnight, brush off. (I've been soaking some seemingly completely corroded screws from a 1920s Black Beauty for two days now, you would not believe how clean they're looking at this point. Maybe another day or so...)
- Naval jelly

A mild acid is your friend. Just give it a coating afterward so the oxidation is slowed.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Yup, auto dept. Turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover in fat little green bottles.
I use Turtle Wax chrome polish- great product. If the rust is pitted, you may need to have it re-chromed.

Please don't paint it - it will not look like chrome. It will look better by just polishing up the chrome.

Jeff

Last edited:

Chonson

Varying things to try that work:

- Coca-cola and a ball of aluminum foil: dip the foil in the coke, rub the foil on the rust.
- Soak in vinegar overnight, brush off. (I've been soaking some seemingly completely corroded screws from a 1920s Black Beauty for two days now, you would not believe how clean they're looking at this point. Maybe another day or so...)
- Naval jelly

A mild acid is your friend. Just give it a coating afterward so the oxidation is slowed.

thechief7676

I use a product called Eagle One never dull Wadding Polish. You can find it in an automotive section. Works well for me.

paul rusack

About 8 years ago I put my 79 Ludwig kit into storage. Unfortunatly the storage was on a Dutch Barge (limited choices at the time). When I finally dug the drums out of the boat last week I noticed that a lot of the chrome plating on the rims had become rusted (even though they were boxed. I accept that it was not a great place to leave them...

However I now want to sort them out and get playing them again. So I guess my first question is: is there a way of treating them that is not going to cost to much ie chrome re-plating?. 2: If not, is there a decent chrome paint or spray on the market that I could apply myself or will this just end up a bit of a mess alongside the decent chrome still on the rims? 3: Or should I just forget about trying to make them look perfect, accept that they now look a bit tatty and just play the things? An answer to one or any of the above would be great!