How can I improve?

(Future)DWdrummer

Hello fellow drummers :)

I was messing around on my kit the other day and my friend decided to pick up my phone and video tape me doing a short solo.. I know its not much, I know the quality is cheep at best and I know the orientation is completely off.... Haha... But if you can put those things aside and take a couple minutes to watch/listen to this video and give me ANY pointers, comments or critiques (is that a word?), it would be much MUCH appreciated :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4GllBo4mMc

Much thanks, Jacob G.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I left a comment on your youtube post.I thought your playing was pretty good for just messing around..Get George Lawrence Stones book called "Stick Control".Play the exercises with just hands,and then incorporate both hands and feet,hitting drums and cymbals.

Play them with a metronome and at different tempos and volume levels.Play everthing as even as you can,and don't focus on just speed.That will increase gratually.

And don't forget rudements.Not just on the snare or practice pad,but using the whole kit.Record your practice sessions.The tape never lies,and will show you weakness....and strenghts.

Nice effort ...keep it up.

Steve B

Last edited:

EvilDrummer

I can give you a tip: Play less notes!

It's nice to go nuts on the kit sometimes but use it sparingly and tastefully, it will be much more impressive ;)

Playing fast is a much more dramatic effect if you are also playing slow. Playing loud has a more dramatic effect if you also play soft.

Think about what "feel" or mood you want to create? Excitement (like you are doing)? Happiness, sadness, aggression etc?

MaryO

Platinum Member
I was thinking along the same lines as Evil...a little less might equal a little more :) You appear to have some talent there but really some of it is hidden by all the action. Slow it down a little and add a little musicality to your solo. But you do look like you're having fun and that means a lot ! :)

(Future)DWdrummer

Yeah, looking back at it.. This is actually a pretty bad example of how I've been focusing my playing towards lately... I completely agree with the idea of playing LESS for the purpose of playing MUSICALLY.... I was at the Troubadour the other day checking out some teen bands and all the drummers there had great chops for being young (I'm probably making it sound like I'm alot older and wiser.. I'm only 16) buut I realized that alot of great "chop" drummers lack a sense of musicianship... So yes I agree I was definetely not very musical in this little solo.. Buut then again, that was imrpovised with my buddy in my garage while hanging out... Aha.... I'm gonna hopefully get in the studio soon to record some drum covers and maybe a solo; and I'm gonna definetely gear my focus towards playing MUSICALLY

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
buut I realized that alot of great "chop" drummers lack a sense of musicianship...
No mate. Average "chop" drummers lack a sense of musicianship.

"Great" drummers know how and when to musically apply their chops. Nothing wrong with pulling out some licks......but when they detract from the overall vibe, then it's time to scale it back and concentrate on holding it down.

Brian

Gold Member
Good job, technique is solid. Drumming is essentially a language, and although there is no wrong way to play, the best solos (imo) are usually ones that have musical context, even if it's just a quick few bars. it's okay to know and show off licks, but chops are different. chops can be musical chops, phrasing, soloing, etc. Chops can be licks.

The vast majority of young drummers are "licks" drummers and not "chops" drummers, honestly.

davelan

I can give you a tip: Play less notes!

It's nice to go nuts on the kit sometimes but use it sparingly and tastefully, it will be much more impressive ;)

Playing fast is a much more dramatic effect if you are also playing slow. Playing loud has a more dramatic effect if you also play soft.

Think about what "feel" or mood you want to create? Excitement (like you are doing)? Happiness, sadness, aggression etc?
^ Pretty much this: if you fill all of the space the result is a bit one-dimensional.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Just to throw out a stark contrast between what I consider 'unmusical' playing and 'musical' playing, may I present:

Michael Angelo Batio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg

A player with extraordinary chops and picture-perfect technique. What he lacks though, is any sense of musicality. Sure, it sounds impressive on first listen but it gets old very fast. It's impressive but not something I would find aspirational.

On the other hand, I present David Gilmour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Ht6WIhhmU

Extraordinary musical phrasing, wonderful note selection choices, a great use of spaces and making music that hits me deeply on an emotional level. There's technique there too and his tone is absolutely legendary. In a 'speed' race though, Batio has him completely beaten. Music is, however, not a sport.

Which would you rather be? A fly-by-night guitarist who is watchable once and then unbearable or somebody like David Gilmour whose music has inspired and continued to inspire millions every day? I know where I'd rather be.

Replace 'guitarist' with 'drummer' and you have my argument. In fact, it's identical because both guitarists and drummers should be musicians.

Chops are only worth having if you use them responsibly.

(Future)DWdrummer

Just to throw out a stark contrast between what I consider 'unmusical' playing and 'musical' playing, may I present:

Michael Angelo Batio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg

A player with extraordinary chops and picture-perfect technique. What he lacks though, is any sense of musicality. Sure, it sounds impressive on first listen but it gets old very fast. It's impressive but not something I would find aspirational.

On the other hand, I present David Gilmour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Ht6WIhhmU

Extraordinary musical phrasing, wonderful note selection choices, a great use of spaces and making music that hits me deeply on an emotional level. There's technique there too and his tone is absolutely legendary. In a 'speed' race though, Batio has him completely beaten. Music is, however, not a sport.

Which would you rather be? A fly-by-night guitarist who is watchable once and then unbearable or somebody like David Gilmour whose music has inspired and continued to inspire millions every day? I know where I'd rather be.

Replace 'guitarist' with 'drummer' and you have my argument. In fact, it's identical because both guitarists and drummers should be musicians.

Chops are only worth having if you use them responsibly.
That is an excellent example :) My dad's a guitarist and he always talks about how certain guitarists, like Gilmour and Beck especially, have the ability to basically SING with their instruments... They have unbelievable tone and musicianship that has the potential to send chills up my spine..... And I know now that that is how I need to play the drums... With emotion and dynamics (as well as the various other aspects mentioned in this thread) that brings about a sense of musicanship............

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
That is an excellent example :) My dad's a guitarist and he always talks about how certain guitarists, like Gilmour and Beck especially, have the ability to basically SING with their instruments... They have unbelievable tone and musicianship that has the potential to send chills up my spine..... And I know now that that is how I need to play the drums... With emotion and dynamics (as well as the various other aspects mentioned in this thread) that brings about a sense of musicanship............
Your Dad is a wise man.

You shouldn't get me wrong. Being able to play like Batio is no bad thing in and of itself. Sometimes being able to chop around is appropriate and just what is called for. It's all about knowing when that is appropriate.