How and why do drummers elevate the front of the bass drum head off the floor?

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Do you have the newer or older style riser? Mine has the Gibraltar style riser - it's made a bit better than the riser that they'd used previously, and it pretty much replicates the hoop, only lower - I have no issues switching between the 22" kick on my practice kit, and the 18" kick that I use for church.
Its the slightly older Cat Jazz with octagonal badges. The riser has a single screw in the middle which attaches to the wooden hoop. Newer risers have a screw on each end, which is a bit sturdier. The pedal attachment is directly below the wooden hoop, but the whole pedal has to sit back 3/4” so the chain can get past the hoop.

trickg

Silver Member
Gotcha. When I bought my Catalina Jazz Bop kit, that was a consideration - I was going to buy a better riser right off the bat, and the Gibraltar riser seemed like the most sensible (cost vs function) option. I was surprised when the kit came and it included the Gibraltar style riser, so there was no need. I've never noticed if the chain comes close to the hoop or not - I've never had a problem with it anyway.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I put a paperback book under my bass drum to raise it off the floor. There are risers that you can buy that do the same thing, but the book was free.
Which book? Does the genre matter? Hardcover or paperback? Do I have to read it first? Does the color matter? I spilled pickle juice on a book, could I still use it?

Sorry, it's not you, it's me :)

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Which book? Does the genre matter? Hardcover or paperback? Do I have to read it first? Does the color matter? I spilled pickle juice on a book, could I still use it?

Sorry, it's not you, it's me :)
I'm a drummer, I can't read. My teachers, when they discovered that I wanted to become a musician, only taught me to count to four 1 2 3 4. My girlfriends pretend to read paperback books. So I take their books and put them under my drums. My favorite books are the blue ones.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
If you set legs so the kick sits on floor when you put on pedal the front will be lower. So I raise up the front so when I put on the pedal my bass drum is level LOL. And the drum needs to be suspended off the ground for best sustain. I remember, back in the day, I intentionally set the kick (filled with pillows with no reso head) on grabbing carpet so legs were mainly to prevent forward movement of my kick (which was always a huge problem it seemed) as I smashed the crap out of it (thud was my goal).

TxGroove

I have a 70s 22" Slingerland bass drum and the spurs just doesn't seem to want to raise up the bass hoop up off the floor.... I'm trying to think of another alternative to getting this to work, as I just recently bought a 90s Tama Iron Cobra Kick Pedal (Silver) to go along with my black Iron cobra and I want to give it the full effect of rock/punk style grooves on the bass drum.

TxGroove

I'm a drummer, I can't read. My teachers, when they discovered that I wanted to become a musician, only taught me to count to four 1 2 3 4. My girlfriends pretend to read paperback books. So I take their books and put them under my drums. My favorite books are the blue ones.
Those books could be worth something one day

jansara

This started a long time ago, had nothing to do with beater pedal/beater angle. The theory was that the drum would resonate more with less of the drum in contact with the floor. You either bought into that, or you didn't.

Last edited:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I have a 70s 22" Slingerland bass drum and the spurs just doesn't seem to want to raise up the bass hoop up off the floor.... I'm trying to think of another alternative to getting this to work, as I just recently bought a 90s Tama Iron Cobra Kick Pedal (Silver) to go along with my black Iron cobra and I want to give it the full effect of rock/punk style grooves on the bass drum.
Maybe put some rubber feet on the end of the bass drum legs. Which would make them longer.
Or get longer rods to replace the legs.
Or bend the legs in an "L" shape. But then you would no longer be able to fully retract the legs.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I haven't touched the legs on my BD for years.

The quick method when I get to a different kit is to just lay my hand flat on the floor under the hoop, let the legs slide out and tighten them in that position. Takes 10 seconds.

TxGroove

Maybe put some rubber feet on the end of the bass drum legs. Which would make them longer.
Or get longer rods to replace the legs.
Or bend the legs in an "L" shape. But then you would no longer be able to fully retract the legs.

That not a bad idea... I might give it a try if I can find anything that will lift under them

TxGroove

I haven't touched the legs on my BD for years.

The quick method when I get to a different kit is to just lay my hand flat on the floor under the hoop, let the legs slide out and tighten them in that position. Takes 10 seconds.
Sounds like a great idea. I'm gonna give it a shot tonight.

beatsMcGee

Pioneer Member
I raise the front end of my kick just a bit (like an inch or so depending on the depth of the kick drum) so that when the beater makes contact with the batter head of the kick drum, it is flush and true. I find that if you don't do this you tend to have your beater hitting the batter head at a bit of an angle like this: |\ instead of like this: ||

***(in the diagram, the first line represents the batter head of the kick, and the second line represents the angle your kick pedal will make when contacting it)***

Hope that makes sense with my little diagram, haha. Also, I am pretty sure I saw an old youtube video ages ago of Dave Weckl explaining this exact concept.

TxGroove

I raise the front end of my kick just a bit (like an inch or so depending on the depth of the kick drum) so that when the beater makes contact with the batter head of the kick drum, it is flush and true. I find that if you don't do this you tend to have your beater hitting the batter head at a bit of an angle like this: |\ instead of like this: ||

***(in the diagram, the first line represents the batter head of the kick, and the second line represents the angle your kick pedal will make when contacting it)***

Hope that makes sense with my little diagram, haha. Also, I am pretty sure I saw an old youtube video ages ago of Dave Weckl explaining this exact concept.
I also think when it's angled it helps lock the pedal hoop down for complete accuracy, instead of having the base of the pedal wiggling from left to right while playing, but then again, maybe my foot techniques off..... I've heard many stories of that Dave Weckl video, that I'm beginning to believe it doesn't exist. If you know where that video is, send the link please lol

Mongrel

Silver Member
I also think when it's angled it helps lock the pedal hoop down for complete accuracy, instead of having the base of the pedal wiggling from left to right while playing, but then again, maybe my foot techniques off..... I've heard many stories of that Dave Weckl video, that I'm beginning to believe it doesn't exist. If you know where that video is, send the link please lol
I have.....(maybe had?) a copy of that video....but it was recorded on stone tablets. Lol

It is available on DVD apparently. Look for "Dave Weckl Back to Basics".

Last edited:

TxGroove

I
I have.....(maybe had?) a copy of that video....but it was recorded on stone tablets. Lol

It is available on DVD apparently. Look for "Dave Weckl Back to Basics".
Literally will end up buying i'm sure. I've already purchased the Neil Peart: A Work in Progress on vhs; not dvd, simply for the linear notes that it came with with back in the day. Was expecting a poster but i guess the previous owner lost it... Whether you like Neil Peart or he's still technical... So yea I'll look up the Dave Weckl video up right now

beatsMcGee

Pioneer Member
I haven't watched it in a few years, but it used to be all over YouTube... my guess is that it was taken down due to copyright infringements, but I explicitly remember him going over the kick drum angle - and it makes perfect sense.

TxGroove

I haven't watched it in a few years, but it used to be all over YouTube... my guess is that it was taken down due to copyright infringements, but I explicitly remember him going over the kick drum angle - and it makes perfect sense.
I'll end up buying it eventually. Simply for all the bass'ics in it ect. After watching the Neil Peart's A Work in Progress, I had to own a copy.