Hoop comparison video from Tama

steadypocket

Gold Member
The customized mighty brass hoops (shaved down), I think are the hoops that came with my Star Reserve HH Copper snare. I love the sound, but the rims are soft enough that I've noticed some marring from rim shots. That makes me sad. :(
I LOVE this drum but like yours, my rims are taking a beating, and are starting to, for lack of a better word, dent up. Now I'm not an especially hard hitter and none of my other 25 or so snares have dents, regardless of hoop type. These hoops feel great and help the drum sound great but what was Tama thinking? At some point, we're going to need to order replacement hoops. Unacceptable.

mike d

Silver Member
I LOVE this drum but like yours, my rims are taking a beating, and are starting to, for lack of a better word, dent up. Now I'm not an especially hard hitter and none of my other 25 or so snares have dents, regardless of hoop type. These hoops feel great and help the drum sound great but what was Tama thinking? At some point, we're going to need to order replacement hoops. Unacceptable.
I agree. I'm not a hard hitter either and I never use sticks over 5A (and mine are maple at that). Who do we call?

mike d

Silver Member
Originally Posted by steadypocket
I agree. I'm not a hard hitter either and I never use sticks over 5A (and mine are maple at that). Who do we call?
I just sent an email off to where I bought mine to see if Tama or they can help me out in some way. I'll let you know if anything positive comes from it.

steadypocket

Gold Member
Thanks Mike. If Tama keeps making these, I suspect we'll see different hoops before too much longer. My drum, not used all that often, is still very much playable. The hoop is sharp at many points from all the nicks in the metal instead of smooth when I move my finger around it.

mike d

Silver Member
I got no response from my emails, and decided to order a cast hoop to see how it would work out. It's a different sound. Especially cross sticking and rim shots. Definitely more crack and a little less shell tone. I loved the sound of the original hoop, but the cast hoop (top only) seems like a good compromise, and I think I'll leave it on (at least for now) to save the original from further damage.

roncadillac

I upgraded the 1.6mm stock hoops on my Tama 12" club jam snare to a heavy duty 2.3mm flanged hoop and was very pleased with the result. It did reduce some unwanted overtone but it still breathes and the thicker hoop really brought out some nice throat to the crack of the drum. Great video find!