Holy smokes DW....

ronyd

Silver Member
I got a delivery date of 12 weeks for a Performance bass and snare! bummer.....

Is it worth the wait?

Kg_lee

I don't know how DW operates but I've order drums with long waits like that and got them the following week. Lets hope this happens for you!

A

audiotech

I ordered a 14" x 14" DW Classic series floor tom 16 months ago and it took just about 6 weeks to get here. If it was me, I would just try different drums shops to see if they have what you want in stock. It's very difficult trying to figure delivery times in most situations and some store just use educated guesses..

Dennis

digibird

In my experience, 8-12 weeks from order to delivery is normal for drum companies. It's what I'm used to with DW & Ludwig. If you get it sooner, it feels like an early xmas. :) I'm waiting on a DW Classics kit now, and it can't get here soon enough.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Yeah that sounds about right. They are overloaded with orders for the performance kits. I ordered one back on Sept 17, toms and snare came in two days, (guitar center had them in stock) took me about 6 weeks to get the kick.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Yeah, 8-12 weeks is normal for kits that the shops don't have in stock (usually the higher end kits, or kits with finishes or configurations that aren't as popular). They often turn up sooner though.

Skulmoski

Gold Member
Yes, it is worth the wait; be patient. I once waited one year for a custom made bongo from Matt Smith! It was made from zebra maple wood with mother of pearl inlay. IIt is fabulous and truly an heirloom. just received a USA Custom floor tom from Gretsch that took 20 weeks to arrive. No problem; I am patient.\

Good things come to those who are patient!

GJS

BigDinSD

Gold Member
In an earlier post, there was a situation where a set of DW Collectors arrived damaged at a local shop. I believe a couple of the drums were damaged and it was not clear if the courrier was at fault, or DW QC.

Make sure you bring a measuring tape, camera, drum key, bass pedal and sticks. You'll want to play the drums right there and check for tuning. Of course, inspect your bearing edges and diameter across each rim.

Document everyone involved from order time to arrival...just saying...

Gorgeous drums though...

areFish

Silver Member
I ordered a DW Performance Series kit. At the time I placed my order I was told 12 - 14 weeks. I ended up waiting 22 weeks and 2 days. Was it worth the wait? Every minute. The straight shell, HVX kick drum you ordered (18 x 22?) is a beast. My take on the DW Performance Series

I ordered a 13"x9" rack tom and a 16x16 floor tom from Mapex. Part of the Mapex Meridian Maple and it was in Rootbeer Burst, which is limited edition. I tried to get as many sizes as I could for all different reasons. Maybe gigs I needed a smaller set-up, studios I may decide a big setup. Maybe a band needed a large set-up or whatever.

I ordered them in October 2010 (about the 20th) and I got them January 2011. I remember it was the day of my first gig (which was 14/1/11. A YEAR AGO TODAY!). I was told I may not get them til about late February/March.

However, I had a Zildjian EFX get replaced in a week and a half so that's not bad, after waiting 2-3 weeks for it.

Just depends really.

On a side note, my parents secretly ordered a Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer in August 2011 for my "Christmas" and they got it on the 23rd of Novemeber. A few days before my birthday.
So I got it for my birthday because I didn't want anything.

ronyd

Silver Member
Is it a good idea to buy DW or for that matter any vendor from online stores versus going to local stores? I can find what I want online in shorter time.

A

audiotech

Is it a good idea to buy DW or for that matter any vendor from online stores versus going to local stores? I can find what I want online in shorter time.
The shops where I buy my equipment, especially one, is usually hundreds less than all the online stores that I contact. Case in point, my latest kit, a 3 piece Ludwig Classic Maple set of drums was three to four hundred dollars less at my nearby Five Star drum shop than anyone else's listing on Ebay. I work directly with the shops owner or their general manager if the owners not there, but still for anyone walking through their doors, they'll receive the best prices around. I saved between $800 to $1000 USD on my 5 piece DW classic kit just over a year ago. Just look and call around, but know exactly what you're talking about when negotiating.

BTW, there's a Five Star drum shop on Ebay that always shows a photograph of a four piece kit when only their price reflects a three piece set of drums. They do mention it as being a three piece set in their discription though. The thing is for their askning price it really should contain four pieces. This is what I mean about knowing what you're talking about.

Dennis

ronyd

Silver Member
well that's an interesting point Dennis. I wonder if that is because we are talking kits versus individual components like I am. Seems that the prices online match up with the local shop. Since they had to call DW for E.T.A, that's the price they quoted me. Don;t think I will be able to negotiate.

Aside from pricing, I f I did get either a better online price or if the components available without waiting 3 months, is there a difference in product support I would get from the local versus online shops?

A

audiotech

well that's an interesting point Dennis. I wonder if that is because we are talking kits versus individual components like I am. Seems that the prices online match up with the local shop. Since they had to call DW for E.T.A, that's the price they quoted me. Don;t think I will be able to negotiate.

Aside from pricing, I f I did get either a better online price or if the components available without waiting 3 months, is there a difference in product support I would get from the local versus online shops?
This also works for me with individual add on drums. I just mentioned the Ludwig kits because there are so many on the Internet. A lot of the time if you become a good customer with any shop, they'll bend backwards for you to get you a better price. There is a heck of a profit margin when it comes to purchasing drums and cymbals, it all depends how much or little the shop decides to make on the sale. When the shop calls a distributor, the shop already knows what it will cost them, it's up to the shop to figure what they want to make on that particular sale. The more equipment the shop moves, the more it reflects in their prices. I'm sure that you're not being gouged, I'm just saying that it's up to the individual shop the price you'll have to pay.

If you can find something in stock instead of having to wait several months, then that's what I would probably do. I much prefer working with one of the Five Star shops I know because it's always better to be able to walk in and place your concerns in person. A lot of times phone calls can and do get placed on the rear burner. I've had good product support going directly to the manufacturer on a few occasions, but with my local shop handling the matter, they have a bit more leverage with the manufacturer if needed. Another case in point, last week I broke off the set screw on my DW bass drum tom mount after owning the drum set for about 15 months. I took it to the shop yesterday and the manager told me that if he wasn't able to back the bolt out, he would order me a new mount and have it there within a weeks time. He was able to repair the mount and install a new bolt while I looked around the shop. This is just some of the service that you can count on when dealing directly with a nearby shop.

Dennis

Last edited: