Hi Hat Too High Should I Cut It ??

Witterings

Silver Member
Hi all,

I've a standard Mapex HH that came with an M Birch kit, the hats sit very high and I'm struggling to get my left hand high enough to bounce the tip of the stick as opposed to the shoulder when doing doubles without looking ridiculous and being incredibly awkward to play.

The top tube that slides down into the base is as far down as it will go!

I was thinking if I used a hacksaw to just cut 1 or 2 inches off the bottom of the tube so I'd be able to slide it down lower, can anybody see any reason not to cut it before I do irreperable damage to it ???

jonescrusher

Pioneer Member
You must be sitting very low! How much of the connecting rod is showing from clutch to tip?

The only issue with taking a saw to a piece of hardware is that you can't undo, so should you tweak your technique in future and decide to go the other way and raise you're hihats, you're stuck.

Do you have a teacher to look over your positioning and posture? I'd recommend reevaluating some things. Where is your hand in relation to the top half of the stick when playing a hihat stoke? Make sure the hand isn't kept excessively low, don't drop your elbow.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'd say ... green light ... cut the tube. 2" ...and see how that feels.​
I had a Gibraltar mid-priced hi-hat that, in standard form, was too tall, for my liking. Fortunately, they offered a shorter operating rod/tube combo., that I ordered. But ... would it have been easier/faster/cheaper for me to use a hacksaw? Yes, it would have.​
A piece of gear that doesn't fit your needs, is useless. If you can "modify" it to fit your needs, then at least you can get your moneys worth out of it.​
Just remember "height requirements" when you purchase/upgrade to a better hi-hat ... somewhere down the road.​

Davo-London

Gold Member
I find that Hihats don't go low enough.

I had a Mapex and swapped for a Tama Road Pro, which went low enough for me.

If you're shortish and you like the hats 4" above your snare then you can easily find hihats that don't go low enough!

CUT IT.

Davo

Witterings

Silver Member
Cheers for the vids Polly I feel a lot better now !!!!!!!

Yes I do sit quite low, I've just bought a new shellpack which I wouldn't confirm I wanted until I'd been home and measured the height of my current toms from the floor and checked I could get the ones in the shop as low or I wouldn't have bought it. That said a teacher commented on my HH being high a while back and tried lowering to find he couldn't.

Think I'll look at it a bit more analytically this evening and see why my right hands OK although I wonder if I'm just able to bounce that hand on the shoulder as it's my stronger hand and if I can't work it out try the surgery :)

edvia

Absolutely cut it! I had the same problem a few years ago with the hi hat stand that came with my ddrum kit. The upper tube was way too long, and at the lowest setting I felt like I was totally reaching for my hats. Didn't own a hacksaw, so I took it to a local bike shop (they have to cut down steer tubes on bike forks all the time), and they just charged me a couple of bucks. Of course if you change your mind you can still raise it... it doesn't always have to be set in the lowest position! So I'd say ABSOLUTELY cut the thing!

720hours World Record

Hi all,

........The top tube that slides down into the base is as far down as it will go!

I was thinking if I used a hacksaw to just cut 1 or 2 inches off the bottom of the tube so I'd be able to slide it down lower, can anybody see any reason not to cut it before I do irreperable damage to it ???
I am 6'1" and sit high on a stool >> I have cut 4 of my pearl HH stands (tubes and rods, re threaded the rod after cutting), I do not like them far away from the snare and I do not like the rod sticking up too high.

Bart Elliott

DW PRO DRUMMER
Rather than cutting and possibly ruining the HiHat stand, you might want to consider using a remote HiHat. When I need a HiHat positioned low, directly in front of me, or in position that's not above the pedal, I use a remote HiHat. Here's one that I've reviewed recently that I really like; it feels just like a normal HiHat stand.

http://www.drummercafe.com/reviews/gear/legacy-percussion-gear-remote-speedy-hat.html

Nothing wrong with cutting down the HiHat stand. It just means you are committed to it and will have a hard time selling it, if you should ever want to.

Just a thought.

Zickosdrummer

I have cut 4 of my pearl HH stands (tubes and rods, re threaded the rod after cutting),
Conversly, I had an application where I couldn't get the HH high enough (for pit job - rod wasn't long enough) so I bought a rod of the same dia. from the hardware store and cut and threaded it to the desired length. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
If you haven't done this already. Get to Home Depot or wherever and get a tubing cutter. That will make a clean even cut. If you try to hacksaw it, you will likely end up with a cut that doesn't slide down into the bottom tube very well and nicks up all the other stuff in your hardware bag.