Hi-hat stand clunking

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
To be totally honest, since I got my gear 5 years ago everything seemed pretty straight forward; cymbal stands - no problem, bass pedal(s) - no problem, tom stands - no problem, thrones - no problem. But my hi-hat stand has always had a type of clunking sound when it's operated with just my foot. It's never been much of a problem because I play my hats mostly closed or in the sloshy position.

But lately, I have been trying to keep time with my right foot on the hit pedal while my left hand is doing other things around the kit and the clunky sound (immediately following the full release of the pedal) is driving me crazy.

When I put the stand together those 5 years ago, there were no directions on how to do it or what some of the other screws were for so I just went for it. It been alright in the past but is irritating me now.

Help!

P.S. What's the difference between a $200+ hi-hat stand and an $80 stand?

Morrisman

Platinum Member
There should be a felt washer on the rod somewhere inside the tubing which may have worn thin.

I generally set my hats 2" apart, then play them as tight or loose as I need to without the top ever reaching the upper limit. I always leave my foot slightly on the pedal, so there's no opportunity for the shaft to hit the top.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Update - the felt washer that needs replacing is probably at the bottom of the stand, where the pedal attaches to the shaft.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
What's the difference between a $200+ hi-hat stand and an $80 stand?

Tube size/thickness, weight, adjustability (usually).

Thicker tubes allow multi clamps to be used without fear of denting, extra weight helps when you're mounting cymbals off the HH etc. Adjustability is subjective, but nice to have.

When I put the stand together those 5 years ago, there were no directions on how to do it or what some of the other screws were for so I just went for it. It been alright in the past but is irritating me now.
Do you still have those screws? If, post a pic of them, we'll tell you what they're for... the the witches and wizards of drum gear that we are.