Hey - Ludwig Snare Guys

wildbill

Platinum Member
I know this isn't rare or valuable or anything. I'm just wondering what it is I've got.

14x5, 10 lugs, chrome steel, black and white badge with serial number, internal muffler, seam in the shell, 20 strand snare - I'll let pics say the rest.

From what I've been able to gather, this is from the 1980's. But the chrome is really good on it. The badge looks like a factory crimp from the inside.
Is it a low end copy of a Supra, or some type of Acro, or a student model, or what?

Last edited:

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
The B&W badge and steel shell tells me it's a Rocker series.

Asian made and I haven't played one, but there's been quite a few guys speak that speak highly of their Rocker snares.

wildbill

Platinum Member
OK - thanks.

Picked it up on a whim, because it looked good, and the price was right. Time will tell how it works out for me.

sirbowen1982

Ten bow tie lugs, chrome on steel, makes me think it's a LM300. I've heard nothing but great things being said about the chrome on steel snares that ludwig is making. A few reviews I read said it sounds very similar to a supra. I was going to buy one before I found my blacrolite.

I'm in no way an expert on ludwig, but I did do a great deal of research on them during my recent search for a nice snare.

Do you like how it sounds? It certainly looks great.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Pretty sure thats an LM 300 chrome over steel shell,and classic lugs.Very simolar to the Rocker series,in sound and build quality.Ludwig also imports a LM 302,which is 14x6.5.Its an import drum,but they sound pretty good with the right tuning an head combo.A coated emperor over a hazy 300 should work.

Steve B

wildbill

Platinum Member
...Do you like how it sounds? It certainly looks great.

It sounds OK.

I guess my ears aren't too discriminating when it comes to snares. If I can pitch them up and down, get a good range of tones from edge to center with responsiveness to dynamics, get a little ring out of them, good cross stick sounds from the rim, and the occasional rimshot, I'm good with it.

I got the Ludwig to replace a piccolo Mapex snare I got recently. Bit of a mistake, I guess. I'm used to a somewhat bigger sounding snare. I won't be getting any more piccolo's - ha ha.

Two votes - LM300, and one vote Rocker so far. Whatever it is, it'll be sticking around for a while.

Last edited:

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Two votes - LM300, and one vote Rocker so far.
Sorry mate, it's definitely an LM300. I thought the LM300 was a Rocker. I've seen the imported bronze model drums with the bow tie lugs and seamed shell referred to as Rockers and thought the same applied here.

FWIW, whenever I'm in doubt I listen to Tamadrm. He's like a walking Ludwig encyclopedia!! :)

A few reviews I read said it sounds very similar to a supra.
I'd actually dispute that. Aluminium is far drier sounding than steel......half the time I reckon guys just try to reference everything back to a Supra as a selling tactic.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
So

FWIW, whenever I'm in doubt I listen to Tamadrm. He's like a walking Ludwig encyclopedia!! :)

I'd actually dispute that. Aluminium is far drier sounding than steel......half the time I reckon guys just try to reference everything back to a Supra as a selling tactic.
Steve is the man, isn't he? And not just Ludwig, not by a long shot. That guy knows every drum ever made. He could probably identify a drum by smell alone.

Aluminum dryer than steel, true that.

sirbowen1982

I do want to mention that I didn't encounter anyone trying to hype the drum into something it's not so that it would sell better. It was just a few reviews online, one most notably saying something like, "sounds almost as good as my dad's supraphonic". I didn't mean to pass another's opinion off as my own, I understand the sonic differences between aluminum and steel, but I did consider it a compliment to the drum for someone to think it sounds nearly as good.

In all the audio/video clips I've found of the LM300 it sounds pretty good. Not as good as a supra though, haha... even though I ended up buying two snares instead of one, my lust for a supra continues on. I suppose being turned onto Ludwig snares by the good folks here at DW is both a blessing and a curse.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Steve is the man, isn't he? And not just Ludwig, not by a long shot. That guy knows every drum ever made. He could probably identify a drum by smell alone.

Aluminum dryer than steel, true that.
LOL,I thank you both for the compliment,but I'm not quite there yet.There is still plenty of stuff to learn,and I learn something different almost every day.There are guys out there that know a lot more than I do ,but I'm trying.:)

Steve B

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I agree with you guy's on this.

+1 for Steve :)

BTW, the Ludwig import Brass and Bronze snares are pretty darn nice, and pretty easy on the pocket.
I haven't seen the Bronze shell used offered by World Max either, but I haven't checked for a while (like I need another snare...well, I'd like more, but.... :) ).

KirbyM

When was the LM300 made?

OOPS - never mind. I just found one on Musician's Friend. I spoke too soon.

wildbill

Platinum Member
When was the LM300 made?

OOPS - never mind. I just found one on Musician's Friend. I spoke too soon.

If it's the same one, it's had a long run. This one was from the 1980's. I wonder when Ludwig first started making them.

MJD

Silver Member
Yeah LM300. my high school got one of these when i was a junior to go with the drum kit (as opposed to the snare line in the Concert Band). They can sound amazing if tuned properly. I've been meaning to pick one up for years now but haven't gotten around to it. Great all purpose snare. Then again I'm a sucker for Ludwig drums in general. They just have the sound.