Hey Drum Teachers!

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Very nice selection. I agree that 40 rudiments is overwhelming for beginners. Heck, after playing a very long time I might use 15-20 of them on the regular.

I practice some of them, but they don't show up in my playing as much.
Variations on the paradiddle, (inverted, reverse) are two very important overlooked ones I find. I know people who can blaze a diddle, but then ask them to reverse or invert it and it falls apart.

Paradiddlediddles, inverted doubles, 6 stroke rolls, and 5 stroke rolls are also pretty crucial in my playing.

Checked out your site, nice stuff.
Since I began teaching in 2001 I had been using a set of rudiments that my drum teacher had been using. It was a selecting from the 40. Not all of them, but more than the American Standard. I think there was 32 of them. Some were a little different. For example the 6 stroke roll was this: RRLLRL. Sticking the accents on the "+ A". I think the 7 Stroke Roll was left handed only and didn't feature the right handed variation.

The last few years I've still been using those, but for my my advanced students I began teaching them the 40 PAS rudiments.
I've also had a large amount of younger students signing up. Ages 5-8. Many kids that young can't handle the 32 or the 40. So I just started writing out what I felt they could do based on age and maturity level. These 7 are what had started showing up most often for those kids, and thus I decided to just chart them out and a print out to save my hand from cramping, lol.

I've also experienced a huge BOOM in signups at all levels and ages. It's to a point that when I'm not touring I have 30+ students a week. I do house calls around Los Angeles, and teach 5 days a week at School of Rock in Burbank. The owner of the Burbank school is opening a 2nd location next month and I'll be splitting my time between the two schools. That means I'll be getting even MORE new students.

So next on the list is Beginner Educational box sets.
These I'm REALLY excited about.

They will be avail be for about $65 starting next month, and include:
1 Pair Regal Tip 5Aa
Stick Bag
Practice Pad
40 International Rudiments
16" x 20" Poster
4x4 Sticker
1.25" Button

ALL branded "Living Dead Drummer"

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Lol, Paradiddle doesn't work in most spellchecks in his defense :).

Very nice selection. I agree that 40 rudiments is overwhelming for beginners. Heck, after playing a very long time I might use 15-20 of them on the regular.

I practice some of them, but they don't show up in my playing as much.
Variations on the paradiddle, (inverted, reverse) are two very important overlooked ones I find. I know people who can blaze a diddle, but then ask them to reverse or invert it and it falls apart.

Paradiddlediddles, inverted doubles, 6 stroke rolls, and 5 stroke rolls are also pretty crucial in my playing.

Checked out your site, nice stuff.

IDDrummer

Platinum Member
That's a good selection of basics, Nick. You may want to check the spelling of "Single Paradiddle" though.

Thanks for the resource!

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Hey fellow drum teachers. I've put together a set of easy Snare Rudiments for beginning students. These are mainly for younger students who might not be ready for some of the more complicated patterns found in the 40 international set. I've also simplified some of the counts. Making single strokes count in quarters or eighths, instead of 32nds, again to accommodate younger drummers.

They are available as a free download on my website. Here's a direct link:

http://www.livingdeaddrummer.com/live/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/BasicRudiments.pdf

I have a version of the full 40 PAS Rudiments that will be available soon as well. Those however will be a part of a box set that includes a bunch of other drum educational related products.