Help with drums

Booognish

I play in a Doom Metal band and I want to get my drummer some new drums and good cymbals for about $2000-$2500. I need to get them off of http://www.zzounds.com/ so that I can do payments on it. I also play drums so they'll be mine but we need something new as a band, I was thinking:

UPDATED

Last edited:

SirSwingsAlot

I believe the element comes with a snare but otherwise that gear looks good. It may be worth looking into a meinl classics cymbal set as I have played those paistes and they weren’t for me. I would recommend listening to sound files for cymbals and find what sound works for you. Good luck!

cbphoto

Gold Member
Can I be in your band? 😂

That Ludwig package you’re considering includes snare & cymbals. Just FYI.

If possible, consider buying a 3-piece kit (bass & two toms) to acquire better shells.

Go with a metal snare, brass or steel for max cut. A deeper snare is louder, too.

Take a look at Paiste “Precision” cymbals. Excellent sonics without the hand-hammered price.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I can't believe I'm the first one to say "Stage Custom" but I think the Yamaha Stage Custom set with 700 series hardware is a better set of drums and a better set of hardware that the Ludwig Evolution alternative.

As for cymbals, I'd listen to the Paiste sound samples at PST7, PST 8 (which might be a better choice for metal) and 900 and see if one sounds better than the other to your ears.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Don't bother to buy the DW stands as stated, since the kit comes with them.

Sell the ZBT's it comes with and single pedal and invest in some good heads.

Look for a nice trashy China cymbal also. Metal requires at least one. 🤘

Booognish

Kit Includes:
- 2 boom cymbal stands
- Zildjian ZBT Cymbals
- 14" Hi Hats
- 16" Crash
- 20" Ride

i was getting the extra boom for the ride or the other crash or whatever... it only comes with 2 boom cymbals. no other hardware. i was goin to sell the cymbals it comes with. i was wanting to get a different snare and maybe sell that one or just put it to the side, I also planned to remove the smallest tom and move the bigger one in its place.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Oh well then if you are going 1 up 2 down get something like this for the ride.

It will take up less room than a full stand and is less expensive. You just clamp it to the main pipe that descends into the bass drum.

Just curious, do you have a snare in mind?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I would not buy any entry-level stuff (which is what the Ludwig Element and Zildjian ZBT) with the notion of selling it. There isn't really much of a used market for that kind of stuff. You'll end up either being stuck with it or giving it away for pennies on the dollar once you factor in shipping/selling fees/etc.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Your update has been approved. 😂

I can’t remember what drum heads come on that kit, but if it’s not the usual Evans then you’ll need new batter & resonant heads on everything for best sound (and those drums sound great with proper heads).

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I know you said you wanted to buy from a specific store for downpayment, but I sort of feel I must say that you'll probably get a lot more for your money buying second hand and get a bit of credit from somewhere else.

Pretty much any music store I know of offers quite long and affordable payment plans btw.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If I were in your shoes, I'd calculate how much your payments are going to be per month. Save THAT much money each month. After you save it up, buy used, buy better, and paying with cash = no payments.

I realize that you want to get something soon. I know this because I've been there multiple times. I don't think I could sleep at night knowing that I was making payments on a Tama Superstar drum set and Rude cymbals. $2300 is just a crap-ton of money to spend on such a mediocre drum set.

...but that's just me. YMMV. Best of luck! :)