Help Transporting Drums

MrKickSnareHats

Hi guys!

I'm a blind musician and I play the wonderful instrument that is the drum set.

I do a lot of playing around town and vary rarely in my own home (unless I’m practicing by myself).

I am unable to drive so I get people to take me to my gigs/practices. I try and pack as less as possible so I don’t cram the car because most of the time the car is small and the driver has their own instrument and gear.

When I'm playing out I ether use the house kit if available (I usually bring my own sticks, snare, cymbals + felts and pedal). Or I bring my own set up which is:

- 20 x 14 Slingerland BD from the 70's
- 14 x 5 Ludwig Acrolite SD 1964
- 14 Zildjian hi hats from the 80's

This set up is easy to transport but can occasionally be musically limiting.

As an alternative I've thought of getting a Yamaha Club Jordan Cocktail Drum Set (or something of that nature) because it has a full set of drums (with the exception of a hi hat pedal) for the same amount of portability.

So what are your thoughts? Should I get a cocktail set or stick (no pun intended) to my kick snare hats configuration?

Thnx =)

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I guess that it depends on the ability of the cocktail kit to suit your playing needs.
Cocktail kits aren't as full sounding as a standard size kit.
It will give you toms though.

How much more of a problem would it be for you to add a 12 inch tom to your current kit?
I would think that there is always room for a 12 inch tom in a car.

An interesting alternative would be a Nesting Kit, or a portable kit like a, Taye Go Kit.

Welcome to the forum.

MrKickSnareHats

I guess that it depends on the ability of the cocktail kit to suit your playing needs.
Cocktail kits aren't as full sounding as a standard size kit.
It will give you toms though.

How much more of a problem would it be for you to add a 12 inch tom to your current kit?
I would think that there is always room for a 12 inch tom in a car.

An interesting alternative would be a Nesting Kit, or a portable kit like a, Taye Go Kit.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks 4 the reply! :)

rtliquid

I play a cocktail kit on some acoustic gigs. Yes, it has some limitations. It's not as full sounding, my hats are always closed, my legs get tired. It does have a different kind of cool vibe though. Depending on the type and volume of music you're playing, you might also check out the Pearl Rhythm Traveler, Arbiter Flats, and Traps. My guess is that the Pearls would be the best sounding of those 3 options.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Hi guys!

I do a lot of playing around town and vary rarely in my own home (unless I’m practicing by myself).

I am unable to drive so I get people to take me to my gigs/practices. I try and pack as less as possible so I don’t cram the car because most of the time the car is small and the driver has their own instrument and gear.

When I'm playing out I ether use the house kit if available (I usually bring my own sticks, snare, cymbals + felts and pedal). Or I bring my own set up which is:

As an alternative I've thought of getting a Yamaha Club Jordan Cocktail Drum Set (or something of that nature) because it has a full set of drums (with the exception of a hi hat pedal) for the same amount of portability.

So what are your thoughts? Should I get a cocktail set or stick (no pun intended) to my kick snare hats configuration?

Thnx =)
You are blind and play drums! That is crazy! You inspire us all. That takes determination. How do you set up? By feel? Can you see at all, even a little bit? Fascinating.

I play a cocktail set as well as a sit-down set. A cocktail set has the advantage of portability and versatility. They are uncomfortable to play and I have to play bass drum with my left foot about a third of the time to reduce back pain. But they are high on the cool factor and you can stand at the front with the rest of the band. Most people I play with like the cocktail set because it isn't as loud and oafish as a regular set, takes up less room, and they can tell no difference in musical expression or my ability to lay down a beat. The cocktail set is about 80 percent like playing a drum set and it will take some practice to learn that other 20 percent. I've taken a cocktail set into venues where the management would have freaked out at a sit-down set, but the cocktail gets in under the radar. It's also great for busking.

I can carry the cocktail set in one trip walking - main drum in one hand, toms/snare and hardware bag in the other. My set has a 16 by 24 main drum, 8 tom, 10 tom, 10 snare, 16 ride, 12 crash, hats and a cowbell.

A drawback is the lack of hats. I use my left foot on hats about 99 percent of the time, so this is an adjustment for me. Most drummers don't use their left foot so much so it should be easier for them. I do have a set of Meinl 10 inch hats that I keep closed to play.

Check out my YouTube channel below for videos of my Tiki cocktail set.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hi guys!

Thnx =)
That's awesome that you're gigging! However, I would consider a Sonor Safari before a Cocktail Kit just because it's an actual drum kit. Cocktail snares are too small and that tall 15" bass drum never sounds as good as the Sonor 16x16 bass drum. And I think the Sonor will pack up alot easier because none of your drums are bigger than a 16x16 floor tom. Probably cheaper too!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Playing blind is an inspirational to me.Few people realize just how tough it is.Just close your eyes and try to hit something,and you'll quickly see.

Few drummers realize, that to name but a few, Stevie Wonder who is blind, is a pretty good drummer,and Joe Morello was almost completely blind.I applaud your attitude and your life ethic sir....Bravo and cheers.

Steve B

MrKickSnareHats

Cheers guys :)

But if any of you guys know of any other blind drummers on this forum please let me know. I'd be interested to know how other guys like me get the job done haha! :p

Jamal :)

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
The women who leads our Praise and Worship service at church, and sings with the band, is also blind. She has incredible stories and is totally inspirational, as I'm sure you are to the people you meet.

Toolate

Platinum Member
I have played a couple cocktail kits and as far as I am concerned you can have them. SO uncomfortable and the sound just doesnt do it for me. Plus the hi hat which is one of the most important parts of the kit/sound is locked down and for you, that would be actually like taking away one of the the only 3 options you have.

Thinking about your setup, I would add an old school bracket to your kick with a post for a ride and maybe a crash over the top of it on a stacker. Maybe a wood block/cowbell/ching ring or something might make you feel like you could have some more voices without carrying another drum in a bag. You could also think about a roto tom too- maybe one stand for the ride/crash and roto would all fit inthe cases youre already running with.