Help please with my 80's Ludwig Kit!

Cookie

Hi, I have what I think is a Ludwig 80's collectors kit that I would like to sell. I bought it in 2004. I only thought I was buying a small kit and the guy turned up with this! Think I was on to a winner tho! So much kit! See it set up ...

http://goo.gl/mhPfm

Each drum/hardware has a case (le blond).Does anyone have any ideas how much this would go for? What type of kit is it? Or where I could sell it? I really have no idea and need some advice before I set about selling it! I have been told that maybe selling each drum separately would make more money, but I personally think it should stay together! I have since bought a crash, ride and hi hat for £300 - off hand I think they are either Sabian or Zildjian..

Any advice on how much it may go for would be great, and where I should sell it..

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Not sure about the kit but the snare looks like a Supraphonic. Others will confirm or deny that, I'm by no means a Ludwig expert.

Where in the UK are you roughly? That could make things a little easier for me to help you with some of this.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Pillows look like JC Penney, 1999. Sold in pairs. That is one huge kit. Also a double right pedal with two bass drums???

MikeM

Platinum Member
The Classics and Super Classics came out in the later '80s and didn't use the B/O badge so I don't think these are either of those. I would guess late '70s or most likely, early to mid '80s. It's interesting to note that the 12" and 13" have 8 lugs per side and the 14" (or 15", I can't tell - the one on the floor) as 10 lugs per side! Crazy that Ludwig used to so over-do it with the lug count.

I have no clue what they'd be worth, but I imagine there are people out there that would LOVE that set. Shoot, I might fall into that category myself! (tho, I'd cut 'em down to a playable depth - sacrilege!) But yeah, the trick will be finding that certain special someone with a bunch of disposable income. I'd put them up on Craigslist here (and whatever the equivalent is there) for a while and see what happens. After that I'd put them up on eBay.

opentune

Platinum Member
Blue-olive and rounded corner badge, so late 1970's vintage.
Deep tom sizes, and lots of toms, so not a set for everybody in terms of a re-sale.
The brass Supra is awesome!

harryconway

Platinum Member
6 ply shells came out in 1976. Modular hardware came out in 1980. I bought my first Ludwig kit, in 1980, and it came with B/O badges with pointy corners. In 1985, Ludwig moved all production to Monroe ... so I would venture to say ... your kit falls somewhere between 80/81 and 85.​
The 6 ply kits are not really "collectible". 3 ply's are. I actually prefer the 6 ply shell, as far as a player ... it's a more modern shell. My 26, 13, 16, 18 kit is a 6 ply. I paid $1100 for it. Selling those drums individually, would land you the most cash. Of course, if a cat offers you a deal, for the whole kit, that you can't refuse, then jump on it. But, with the 6 ply shells, that's probably not going to happen.​
Check eBay for similar kits, and what they go for ... then again, what did you pay for it, back in 2004? Back then, these drums weren't collectible, and 8 years later, the situation really hasn't changed.​

Cookie

Wow - thank you all for your replies. I'm an Essex girl I'm afraid! Probably the reason why I have no idea about the kit I bought ha ha.. I bought it in 2004 for £300. Shame they aren't collectables tho.

Yeah, we only set it up with both bass drums to put it in the picture..
Really helpful tho, thanks all. So should I try and sell it separately?!

M

mediocrefunkybeat

The market around London is quite good. I'm from Kent, myself.

The bronze snare I would sell separately. You can probably put that out for around £350 by itself and see what happens. It's a very good snare and quite collectible.

£300 for those is an absolute steal. I'd probably be advertising the kit for around £1,000 at least.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
The rounded corner B/O badge was at the very end of 79,but Ludwig still had some pointy badges left over,as well as completed shells with the pointy badge.Modular hardware was becoming standard in the early 80's.Although Ludwig refered to their drum sets by name,like big beat for example,their top tier 6 ply maple/poplar shells were still considered Classics.Even in the 60's,the only difference between the club date, classic,and super classics,was the hardware.The shells were exactly the same for all 3 lines. That snare looks brass,but if it was purchased with the drums,between 80-85,it would be bronze.Up till around 81 or so,Ludwig was using up all of their brass shells on the Black beauty,and didn't offer a lacquered brass supra till later.Those huge double bass sets were actually in the catalog,with two different size bass drums,and sold with usually a 22 and 24" bass drums.There is no accurate way to use the badge serial numbers to date those drums after 79.

They are some great sounding,and loud drums,but the oversized toms don't sell too well.But like everything else in drumming,they too will be back in fashion some day.

Steve B

Cookie

Wow so much information - thanks so much! I just went to find the serial numbers so will have a look.

The rounded corner B/O badge was at the very end of 79,but Ludwig still had some pointy badges left over,as well as completed shells with the pointy badge.Modular hardware was becoming standard in the early 80's.Although Ludwig refered to their drum sets by name,like big beat for example,their top tier 6 ply maple/poplar shells were still considered Classics.Even in the 60's,the only difference between the club date, classic,and super classics,was the hardware.The shells were exactly the same for all 3 lines. That snare looks brass,but if it was purchased with the drums,between 80-85,it would be bronze.Up till around 81 or so,Ludwig was using up all of their brass shells on the Black beauty,and didn't offer a lacquered brass supra till later.Those huge double bass sets were actually in the catalog,with two different size bass drums,and sold with usually a 22 and 24" bass drums.There is no accurate way to use the badge serial numbers to date those drums after 79.

They are some great sounding,and loud drums,but the oversized toms don't sell too well.But like everything else in drumming,they too will be back in fashion some day.

Steve B

Cookie

I just saw one of our percussion teachers at school and he agreed with the price for the snare and to sell that separately. I actually thought I'd start at 1000 and see what happened!!

The market around London is quite good. I'm from Kent, myself.

The bronze snare I would sell separately. You can probably put that out for around £350 by itself and see what happens. It's a very good snare and quite collectible.

£300 for those is an absolute steal. I'd probably be advertising the kit for around £1,000 at least.

harryconway

Platinum Member
£300 translates to $476 dollars. A spectacular price, for that kit. Selling off all the drums and hardware, individually, you could make close to $2K ..... £1260. I'd figure, between £945 - £1260. Not bad profit. I'd auction off everything on eBay. Sell the drum, with the case .... and make that clear, in the auction description. The case will help protect the drum, during shipping. A big plus. Say, start the bass drums, and snare, at £126. Start each tom, at £63.​
That heavy duty Tama boom stand, I had 10 of those, bought back in 1980. People cherish those, and when I sold mine (a few years ago), they fetched around £63 each. What I paid for mine, new, 27 years before. Stands, throne, pedal, ballpark between £31- £63.​

larryz

Platinum Member
Late o the game here, but nice deal you had back in '04. Though if it was me I'd keep everything. You never know.... Maybe sell the snare, which youhave the most opportunity tomake a profit on. Those are great loud drums, but the one negative is the color - black (yawn..) Otherwise..

harryconway

Platinum Member
.... but the one negative is the color - black (yawn..)
Indeed, and not just the color, but Ludwig was using Cortex (kitchen counter top material) for their solid color drums. Black, white, red .... not even drum wrap material. A black lacquer would be waaaaaay hipper, like the Yamaha RC's.​

drumhedd

Wow that is a beauty... I'm jealous! That's almost my dream setup haha... looks to be a bronze 14x6.5 supra, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 toms and 2 24" kicks?