Help picking new kit

What brand of kit do you own?

• Pearl

• PDP

• Tama

• Sjc

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I thought you wanted a 7-piece? If you back it down to a 6-piece in, there are many options.

I'd start with these:

(the price is $2k, but you could always make an offer)

There are lots of pearl masters to be had for that price

Heck, here's a set of Saturns for $1200. You would have enough $$ to get a very decent snare.

If it were me, I'd go with these:
Yes I am not set on the piece count. I really think I am going to go with the armory 6 piece in the black dawn finish or a Saturn for a good price. Doing that leaves me with a good amount on mics, recording gear, and maybe even a drum pad. We shall see I have until November to pull the trigger.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Yes I am not set on the piece count. I really think I am going to go with the armory 6 piece in the black dawn finish or a Saturn for a good price. Doing that leaves me with a good amount on mics, recording gear, and maybe even a drum pad. We shall see I have until November to pull the trigger.
Good deal. One of my kits is a 6-piece, but I can't remember the last time I actually set all of it up at the same time. However, it's a super-diverse set up. I've only played a set of Armory drums, and they are fantastic; however, I've only heard really great things about Saturn kits. I'd lean towards one of those if I were you. Let us know what you get! :)

Good deal. One of my kits is a 6-piece, but I can't remember the last time I actually set all of it up at the same time. However, it's a super-diverse set up. I've only played a set of Armory drums, and they are fantastic; however, I've only heard really great things about Saturn kits. I'd lean towards one of those if I were you. Let us know what you get! :)
I will. I know it sounds crazy but I cant find a Saturn that has a finish that I like. If they made a Saturn with the black dawn finish I would be all over it. 😅🤪🤪🤪

Vandalay

+1 on Tama, The superstar classic also has a 7-piece setup for around $1,000.00...I'm currently playing Superstar classics, and I can tell you they sound great, and are built like a tank.

Bovine Joni

I'm in the same position, I'm buying a kit now that'll last me awhile and that will grow as I advance in skill. Finish is important, not everything but it affects things. I'm still deciding but my mind has switched from no kit to kit. 5 piece then 7 piece, brand A to brand B, hardware options etc.

Since I'm spending this much money I want to be sure etc. I've been obsessed with looking at various web stores and reading/researching stuff.

I've 99% made up my mind on kit and setup.
1. Tama Superstar 7 piece in Dark Indigo Burst.
2. DW 3000 hardware pack.
3. AAX cymbals. (14 X-Celerator hats, 21 RBDR, and Xplosion crashes 16 & 18, splashes 8 &10)
4. Remo or Evans coated heads.

I will buy additional cymbal hardware, grabber arms for splashes.

I have fallen in love with the kit, Dark Indigo Burst is just beautiful and I would prefer 7 piece because of my style, it just makes since to buy now rather then add on later.

Is there anyone who would have a recommendation on any part of setup. Comments or ideas very much welcomed.

Bovine Joni

This is the kit finish I was looking at. 7 piece for $999.99 and I'm getting the full set of the Menil classic dark cymbals (it wouldn't let me upload a pic) but I think it would look sweet. I like mostly anything dark or black. I wish I could find a kit with just a midnight blue and dark chrome hardware. No glitter lol
Mapex makes black nickel drum hardware, looks pretty cool

I'm in the same position, I'm buying a kit now that'll last me awhile and that will grow as I advance in skill. Finish is important, not everything but it affects things. I'm still deciding but my mind has switched from no kit to kit. 5 piece then 7 piece, brand A to brand B, hardware options etc.

Since I'm spending this much money I want to be sure etc. I've been obsessed with looking at various web stores and reading/researching stuff.

3. AAX cymbals. (14 X-Celerator hats, 21 RBDR, and Xplosion crashes 16 & 18, splashes 8 &10)

I will buy additional cymbal hardware, grabber arms for splashes.

I have fallen in love with the kit, Dark Indigo Burst is just beautiful and I would prefer 7 piece because of my style, it just makes since to buy now rather then add on later.

Is there anyone who would have a recommendation on any part of setup. Comments or ideas very much welcomed.
I would get the same kit if the hardware came in black

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That sounds like a foolproof, winning list.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If you are hell-bent on getting a 7-piece drum set, then I guess this would be your best option. However, if you could drop your options down to a 6-piece, then you could really get something much more decent.

Like if you could buy your cymbals used, drop down to a 6-piece set, you get something like this:

YMMV.

Drum Note

Hi Lando, I think you can a very nice set for 1800 Bucks. Like if your heart is set on the Pdp maple & your getting decent enough cymbals too, then follow your desire. The Yamaha Stage Custom is a fine set too. Slighter thicker shells in Chinese Birch Grown Wood, beautifully made by the boys in Yamaha, 45 degree bearing edges, Absolute style lugs, YESS Mounting system for sustain. Lovely finishes, and configurations and come in shell packs too. The other jobbies would be the Yamaha Junior Kit Manu Katche, A 5 pce kit with good hardware for around 1000 Dollars. These are smaller drum sizes and they are loud babies with the same shells as the Stage Customs. The Birch sound have a darker, cutting, fine highs and low end tones that project very well as Maple have a warmer, good mids, slightly rounded off and also musical sound. Enjoy your journey, the right drums will find you.

Peace out

Keep Playing

Drum Note