Help on identifying these vintage drums?

opentune

Platinum Member
good plan. like i said those drums can sound good. the old luan can have some rich deep tone....IF its in round.

Dignan

Silver Member
not a Slingerland. Giveaway is:

1. its not 3 ply drum, at least the high tom is not. That looks like 5 ply, cheap luan.
2. Lugs are all wrong. The floor tom has Slingerland looking lugs, but many MIJ sets imitated that adn other USA lugs.
3. 6 lug bass drum, should be 8 lug if its a 20 inch bass drum. Bad, very cheap.
4. not Slingerland tom mount.

Its a cheap MIJ. The Blue Agate wrap came in many MIJ drums. I had identical 5 ply luan in another MIJ set which actually sounded quiet nice, but the quality of build is not there....and of course nor are the badges :)
I may throw $40 at the seller and see what he says.

opentune

Platinum Member
not a Slingerland. Giveaway is:

1. its not 3 ply drum, at least the high tom is not. That looks like 5 ply, cheap luan.
2. Lugs are all wrong. The floor tom has Slingerland looking lugs, but many MIJ sets imitated that adn other USA lugs.
3. 6 lug bass drum, should be 8 lug if its a 20 inch bass drum. Bad, very cheap.
4. not Slingerland tom mount.

Its a cheap MIJ. The Blue Agate wrap came in many MIJ drums. I had identical 5 ply luan in another MIJ set which actually sounded quiet nice, but the quality of build is not there....and of course nor are the badges :)

Dignan

Silver Member
I think it was a true Slingerland, it was say so on the badges.

Which makes me think it's a generic made-in-Japan kit that had a genuine Slingerland tom mount added to it.
That could be. Don't know why someone would remove the slingerland badges if it really was a slingerland.

Bellow is what the seller says about it. It seems he has some knowledge of drum makes but the fact that he lists three brands that it is "along the lines of" makes me wonder if it isn't a copycat type.

"70's 3-piece drum set. Blue sparkle and onyx. Manufacturer unknown, probably along the lines of Whitehall, Royce, Premier, etc. includes super rare swive-o-matic extended tom-mount AND rail mount; BOTH on the base drum! 18" base, 12" tom, 16" foor tom, some extra hardware (student level bass drum pedal and snare stand)."

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I think it was a true Slingerland, it was say so on the badges.

Which makes me think it's a generic made-in-Japan kit that had a genuine Slingerland tom mount added to it.

Dignan

Silver Member
The seller not knowing what they are, what they're worth, is a plus for you. Its not your job to educate the seller per say and (if you feel) that being so, I would offer him $100

Depending on the condition, like 'if' the bass and tom were spanky clean and together mechanically, there's buyers out there who would pay $400

Deff the FT is not the same wrap, and Blue Agate Pearl is rare these day, I used to have a set in BAP.

Super rare to find a lone FT in BAP but I know for a fact its happened, had a lone one of those too, clean/solid, sold it for hundreds.
Sounds fair. Thanks for the advice

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
That looks like the wrap for sure. Upon second examination though, it looks like the floor tom has a sparkle and not the Agate Pearl finish. Could be an old mut kit.

Anyone have any ideas on what this is worth?
The seller not knowing what they are, what they're worth, is a plus for you. Its not your job to educate the seller per say and (if you feel) that being so, I would offer him $100

Depending on the condition, like 'if' the bass and tom were spanky clean and together mechanically, there's buyers out there who would pay $400

Deff the FT is not the same wrap, and Blue Agate Pearl is rare these day, I used to have a set in BAP.

Super rare to find a lone FT in BAP but I know for a fact its happened, had a lone one of those too, clean/solid, sold it for hundreds.

Dignan

Silver Member
Bass and tom are SLINGERLAND

Blue Agate Pearl 67'
That looks like the wrap for sure. Upon second examination though, it looks like the floor tom has a sparkle and not the Agate Pearl finish. Could be an old mut kit.

Anyone have any ideas on what this is worth?

Dignan

Silver Member
That almost looks like the kits that Sears sold in the 1970-1976 era. Silvertones/Tempro/Pearl? I forget.

Is this the same kit as yours?
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=11952&page=2
They certainly look similar but I don't think its the same. Tom mount looks different tand I think the bass drums are different sizes.

EDIT: The cymbal mounts on the bass drums are in different spots so I think they are different.

Dignan

Silver Member
Can anyone tell me what these are? Owner doesn't know. It's a CL deal so I'm also interested in their value to make an offer.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]