help me know if i suck

anonymous1

well ive been playing for about 4 years (maybe 3 and a half) and i think im REALY REALY bad.
i dont let it get me. i realy dont care i guess.
but i just want to know if im bad so can any of you show me a metal\rock song that someone who is playing for 4 years (im kinda slow) would be able to play without any special effort?
i just want to know how bad i am, and i dont have anyone to compare to, even if i ask drummers i know ill come off pretty damn stupid
thanks

Drummertist

Silver Member
Why not post a video is the My Playing section. We can't say until we see you play. Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone thinks they suck. I think I suck.

anonymous1

got it. thanks alot man :).
maybe ill shoot myself playing later.. still i wanna know what songs fit my time of playing. help is much appritiated
songs anyone?

MaryO

Platinum Member
got it. thanks alot man :).
maybe ill shoot myself playing later.. still i wanna know what songs fit my time of playing. help is much appritiated
songs anyone?
It's really hard to say what songs you should be playing after a certain amount of time. Everyone progresses in their skill level at different rates. What you can play after 4 years may not be what I could play after the same amount of time. We really need to see your actual playing to know what you are capable of at this point. Just post us something and I'm sure someone will be able to recommend things for you from there.

bigiainw

Gold Member
I think it's all relative. You might be brilliant in 4 years, you might suck. I've been playing for 30+ years and I still frustrate myself at times, it all depends how hard you practice (in my case almost never) how good you want to be (I've not been asked to leave a band yet) and what you want to achieve (I play covers in a rock cover band), so I don't think the latest polyrhythm in 27/6 is all that crucial for me- it might be vital to you. As John Lennon once said of Ringo, "the best drummer in the world? He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles".

Relax and enjoy your playing. How good you are comparatively is neither here nor there, unless your in a competition, and even then, your dad being one of the judges is probably of more value...

Iain

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yea you suck. We all suck. There. Now that we've gotten past that, let's just get on with it, shall we?

First thing you need to do is QUIT DOWNING YOURSELF. It's toxic. Stop it, for yourself and for the people around you.

Everybody is born stupid and knowing nothing. You have to work hard to not be stupid and to understand things. If you are lazy and don't want to put the work in, then nothing will happen. You have to work hard for every little thing you get in this world. So get to work, and stop complaining. You are a lot better off than you realize. Maybe count you blessings? You have good health, right? In possession of all your limbs? Have enough free time to indulge drumming? Honestly we don't want to hear whining about why you suck, we want to hear about what you are doing to improve your situation. You mentioned no special effort....

Dude, you get a total of nothing with no special effort. Do you want to be known as a lazy man? There comes a point where it is time for you to start to care. This could be it for you.

Last edited:

Arivera3

Why don't listen to different radio stations and listen to the drums? You might get lucky and find something you really like, or gain the inspiration to make up your own thing.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
If a tree falls in a forrest and no-one is there to hear it........does it make a sound?

If a drummer sucks and no-one can hear him suck because he hasn't put up a video of him sucking........does he really suck at all?

There is no benchmark that says after one year of playing you should be doing "this". After two years of playing, you should be doing "that". After ten years of playing you should be doing "the other". Everyone is different.

Put up a vid mate. Suck or otherwise, you'll be given an honest appraisal and some tips to improve.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
well ive been playing for about 4 years (maybe 3 and a half) and i think im REALY REALY bad.
i dont let it get me. i realy dont care i guess.
but i just want to know if im bad so can any of you show me a metal\rock song that someone who is playing for 4 years (im kinda slow) would be able to play without any special effort?
i just want to know how bad i am, and i dont have anyone to compare to, even if i ask drummers i know ill come off pretty damn stupid
thanks
Put up 2 minutes of your playing in the 2 minute Drum Challenge and I'm sure you will get some honest feedback. I'm sure there are guys here that have only been playing for 4 years and can do a better solo than mine.

A

Anthony Amodeo

If a tree falls in a forrest and no-one is there to hear it........does it make a sound?

If a drummer sucks and no-one can hear him suck because he hasn't put up a video of him sucking........does he really suck at all?

There is no benchmark that says after one year of playing you should be doing "this". After two years of playing, you should be doing "that". After ten years of playing you should be doing "the other". Everyone is different.

Put up a vid mate. Suck or otherwise, you'll be given an honest appraisal and some tips to improve.

and the perfect thread for the occasion exists in the your playing section right now

:)

its all love there brother no worries

we are all putting ourselves out there to better our craft

if you are going to expose yourself this is where to do it because there are some cats here that are legit and can give you pro advice for free where you would have to pay for it elsewhere

no one here is completely satisfied with their playing and considers themselves finished with learning...thats just silly

I personally seek out as much info as I can gather everyday ...and get lots of it here...we all want to get a little better every day

this is a good place to start

go for it

Ami

"help me know if i suck"...

hi Anonymous1,

It is a journey with no final destination, and like in most other disciplines, improvement is usually achieved by a consistent repetitive effort, in small steps, over a long period of time.

Most of the masters of drums that I have met/read interviews with, are still focused on getting better and are putting in the time to do so.

maybe ill shoot myself
Please don't. It's only music.

anonymous1

i guess your all right. im gonna stop worring about that cus you know what. thats stupid. i was just beeting myself up for nothing.
p
im gonna get a video recorder from a friend (or record with my phone) and put it up on youtube for you.

again THANKS!! lots of good guys here

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I think it's all relative. You might be brilliant in 4 years, you might suck. I've been playing for 30+ years and I still frustrate myself at times, it all depends how hard you practice (in my case almost never) how good you want to be (I've not been asked to leave a band yet) and what you want to achieve (I play covers in a rock cover band), so I don't think the latest polyrhythm in 27/6 is all that crucial for me- it might be vital to you. As John Lennon once said of Ringo, "the best drummer in the world? He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles".

Relax and enjoy your playing. How good you are comparatively is neither here nor there, unless your in a competition, and even then, your dad being one of the judges is probably of more value...

Iain
I couldn't have responded any better. Bravo.

tamadrm

Platinum Member

Got a better one mate

If a man says something out loud

And there's no woman around to hear it

Is he still wrong?

Cheers mate....one of these days we'll have to share a crownie

Steve B

jeffwj

Platinum Member
What are you going over in your lessons? What is your reading ability like after 3-1/2 years? What does your teacher say? Does he/she feel you are progressing the same as others studying for the same amount of time?

Jeff

MaryO

Platinum Member
Got a better one mate

If a man says something out loud

And there's no woman around to hear it

Is he still wrong?

Cheers mate....one of these days we'll have to share a crownie

Steve B
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Daisy

Well, I think I understand where Anonymous is coming from with his query. I started playing quite late in life. I had lessons for 3 or 4 years. It was the first thing I had ever done where I had no idea where I was in the general scheme of things, because it's the first thing I had done where you're completely on your own. At school, college, work, any group activites - you can compare yourself with others. Just having an idea of where you ARE seems to matter because in most things we do, we do actually have some idea.

I had no idea with drumming whether I was a complete natural, or someone who just didn't get it, and never would. My teacher wasn't overly effusive with praise, but that was just the type he was, and I realised that he was never going to say "you're hopeless, just give it up now".

Thing is - Anonymous - after puzzling over this for some time, I finally came to the conclusion that I was never going to know "where I was" - and basically it just didn't matter. If someone had been able to say to me "you should be better than that by now" would I have given up? No. I played because I enjoyed playing, and I thought that, wherever I "was", if I kept at it I would improve.

I understand it can be difficult not knowing how "good" or "bad" you are, but for me anyway, it just made me think about why I play - and then I realised it didn't actually matter how good or bad I was.