Help me identify this VERY old snare

StaggerLee

Silver Member
Hey forum, I have posted this over on vintage drum forum but thought it cant hurt to get other peoples advice too. So far we seem to believe it is ludwig, possibly teens. Enjoy, sorry its a repost.

Hey forum, just wondering if anybody can help me identify this snare. I brought it for £30 at a local shop and all they told me was they brought it second hand off the Ipswich marching band. There are some extra holes drilled for mounting as a marching snare and the shell inside is seamless, a magnet does not stick to it, or the hoops or lugs, just the tension rods. The paint is actually a white enamel, and was quite hard to damage. And finally the bearing edges seem to have been welded on and the snare bed is only slightly raised just for the snare wires to get through.

I know its only 6 lugs and is likely some intro snare, but it sounds superb, better than my others. Part of me wants to keep it but another part wants to sell. I am not sure how much it would fetch though, especially over here in the UK seeing as it has no badge.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I does look like a Ludwig Orchestra or Universal model,but it it could also be Leedy & Strupe because of the slotted tension rods.Difficult to say without hands on examination.The shells and strainers of the two drums would be very similar.The white paint isn't factory,and the shell should be nickel or chrome over brass.It could be as old as late teens,early 20's.6 lug models in very good condition sell here for around 250 -300 US.

Steve B

StaggerLee

Silver Member
I gathered my £30 didnt get me very far. When i scraped some of the paint off there was no finish underneath, and i remember seeing other drums by ludwig having the white enamel finish, in particular a ludwig pioneer model. I know its just an intro snare but it had a beautiful sound to it. Seamless shell too and no magnets would stick to it. Also no engraving anywhere.

StaggerLee

Silver Member
just showed it to my local drum expert and he said it is a ludwig seamless brass shell most likely orchestral model from his catalogs. Going to stick it on the bay so some lucky brit can have it as we very rarely get vintage luddys over here, and we can actually make some money out of it. Lucky americans having them so cheap.... makes me want to live out there.... Anyhow thanks for help guys, if anyone figures out what exactly it is i will be greatly appreciative so i can edit ebay post for better description. Thanks everyone!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
If you like the sound of it, why not keep it? Those older Ludwig brass snares are pretty highly sought after specifically because they sound great. Since you got if for an absolute steal I'd put a little more money into it to fix it up and have an awesome player's drum.

Xero Talent

Silver Member
If you like the sound of it, why not keep it? Those older Ludwig brass snares are pretty highly sought after specifically because they sound great. Since you got if for an absolute steal I'd put a little more money into it to fix it up and have an awesome player's drum.
Totally agree. With a bit of elbow grease and some careful care, that will be a gem. You could also take it to a local drum shop and have it restored properly for a little coin.

StaggerLee

Silver Member
Well good job i didnt put it on the ebay. Turns out not a ludwig, in fact its just a lowly boosey and hawks brass shell. Still cant find a seam (if there is one then its far better done than anything we have today). So sadly a pretty worthless, albeit very nice sounding drum. So can anyone tell me about these guys? No other stuff on it other than the simple stamp: boosey & hawkes ltd manufacturers london.

StaggerLee

Silver Member
all i can confirm is it seems chromed, the boosey & hawkes is stamped, it is brass, same with claws and tube lugs and single flange hoops. it came with calfskin heads. that is as much as i can say :/

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Boosey & Hawkes imported a lot of instruments and branded them under their own name. They're often OEM products to begin with. It looks like a good-quality brass seamless snare. The Boosey & Hawkes logo doesn't mean that they made it necessarily.

StaggerLee

Silver Member
it is exactly the same as this only without the dual strainer and 6 lugs instead of 8
also fits in as to why there are holes

StaggerLee

Silver Member
so... the paint turns out to be a house enamel, its not coming off. The only ways are chipping it off and risking damage to the shell or very strong chemicals which could also do the same. So what should I do? Try strip it with chems or do a repaint?

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Try stripping it with chemicals. I've always had very good luck with Nitro-Mors. Goodness knows what the shell is like underneath though!