Help me get this snare sound

Taffer

Hi there,

I bought myself a Ludwig Supraphonic (LM402) and I really dig the sound of Patrick Keeler's Supra.

Unfortunately I'm pretty damn clueless when it comes to tuning drums, so could any of you perhaps tell me how to get this particular sound?

Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9afwUtAZyw (I'm pretty sure this is a Supra, might be a black beauty)

Thanks a lot!!

Just tune the drum to sound good in front of you. Your ear can't hear the drum beneath the processing at this point. Many drummers never do. Those drums are just tuned well and the mic'ed and processed result is what you're hearing. One tip is tune the resonant head high (crank it up) and then tune the batter until it hits the sweet spot you're looking for.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Just tune the drum to sound good in front of you. Your ear can't hear the drum beneath the processing at this point. Many drummers never do. Those drums are just tuned well and the mic'ed and processed result is what you're hearing. One tip is tune the resonant head high (crank it up) and then tune the batter until it hits the sweet spot you're looking for.
I agree. That clip is pretty processed, not including YouTube compression on it as well. You will go crazy trying to do that acoustically. That being said, grab yourself a Big Fat Snare drum and you'll probably end up close.

However, I would do what LikeToPlay says, get your reso at a good spot then adjust your batter to where it works for you.

opentune

Platinum Member
Thats an Acrolite. I read a long interview with Keeler about that recording online a few years ago and he describes the drums they used. The drum sound on the opening is quite something.
But no matter, a Supra and Acro share the same aluminum shell, just differing lugs number. You can get that sound, tuned med/high to high and its a fairly strong rim shot.

Icetech

Gold Member
Sounds like it's just tuned properly and no dampening used to stop natural shell ringing, and then a bunch of eq to smooth it out..

P.S. I never trust anything i hear in a video after watching a sound guy show how he did drums.. from crap to omg amazing with a few turns of dials... it's all lies i tell you!