Help me create a practice routine

ageadm

Hey everyone,

I'm aware of the other threads out there that helped people create a good practice routine, but I'm different, because I can't still do most of the stuff others can lol.. and here we are at the purpose of this topic.

I tried creating a few practice schedules for myself, but none was effective enough. 1 month and a half I went along with the "Learn and Master Drums" DVD. Watched a session, learned all the stuff within that session and continued to the other session and repeat the same procedure, then I started discovering other DVDs and my practice routine got messed up. Now I don't even know what I'm doing, I play rudiments for a few minutes and then continue playing along to some songs without knowing for how long I've been playing, but I'm sure it's not a big period of time. The problem is that I know this stuff I'm doing, I'm not learning something new, I just keep repeating it over and over.

How can I push myself to learn new stuff? I mean I can play along to songs, keep a good time, play rudiments (not that fast though). What's next? What should I learn now? I bought so many DVDs and I don't know which one to consider following now. And even if I choose one, should I go, like, learn a session, continue to the next or what? This is kinda the only thing getting through my head these days, how to practice and I couldn't find an answer myself, hence this topic.

I haven't practiced for a few days, it's getting hard to even move my hand up while fasting, so I'm gonna pause for the next 3 days until Ramadan is over and then start with a proper practice routine - that's my plan and I need your help to make it happen.

Thanks for reading, hoping for some helpful answers.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I don't know about routines and stuff. Sorry. My routine is that I show up for practice every time. But here is an exercise you can do while fasting or while your in a position where you can't play the drums. Try learning a couple songs in your head alone. I've had to learn many songs this way because the only time I'm playing drums is when I'm in the studio with other musicians. I do a lot of mental practice and it helped me develop the ability to play just about anything I can think of playing without having to think about it too much.

I'd say, based on the stuff I've read here, any rudimentary practice is good practice. Whether it's from a book or a DVD. I have only 2 books and 1 DVD that goes with one of the books. But mostly I use the pad to maintain my rolls, single strokes, paradiddles and just staying loose in between drum set sessions.

ageadm

Thanks for the reply Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr, very helpful. I'm also gonna need a few more ideas to get me started, anyone, please?

Otto

Platinum Member
Record each session...and spend at least %75-%150 of playing time slowing it down and listening for timing flaws...as well as reviewing all other aspects...like dynamics, composition and general quality of sound you are lifting from your set/recording technique.

Retain a catalog of your playing for future reference. Review it every few years.

Rip yourself apart...rebuild...rinse...repeat. - these cycles can stretch from weeks into decades.

Buy loads of instructional materials...FINISH THEM...revisit them every so often. Polish what you thought was weak on the previous cycle.

Love your persistant flaws and use the heck out of them!...until they reveal your style.

Get spot checks from highly respected regional teachers every so often....and splurge on the nationally known gurus at least a few times. Take them with a grain of salt spicing your own intellect.

Cross train on as many varied instruments as you can get your hands on.

Listen to more than drums.

Write songs as frequently as you can.

Most important...have fun...or you will burnout.

..now if I only had a couple more lifespans...

Last edited: