Help me choose my next ride cymbal

Mrcoffee

Several years ago, I very nearly pulled the trigger on a 22-inch K-Con Medium ride, and it sounded amazing, except the bell, which was weak in comparison to the rest of the cymbal. My drummer friend John has an entire set of K-Con's, which I've had the opportunity to play when I've sat in on some of his gigs, and I know that they're supposed to be these amazing "holy grail" cymbals, but they're not as satisfying to play & hear as Turkish cymbals (Istanbul Agop in particular), or regular Zildjian K's.
So... I bought the Sweet ride 23... love it... but terribly missed the K Con Renaissance 22 I had bought/returned and, of course, as soon as I had returned it, it got sold. A few day later, the drum shop announced that a used Renaissance (not the same one) had just arrived used... for 200$ less. Grabbed it of course. Love them both. And today, I pulled the trigger on that 21" Special Dry Ride... used but new... at 280$. Now I have 4 rides... I'll stop there, probably.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
OK, so my 22" Light Ride arrived today and I haven't had a lot of time to play it, but so far...wow. I really like it. Great stick definition, and a healthy amount of low-pitched wash underneath while playing it. The wash doesn't get out of control like it can do on my 20" K Custom Dark. And talk about crashability, if this thing said 22" K Dark Crash on it, I would believe it. The bell is small in size, but still cuts quite well.

So far I feel confident that this was a great choice to fill the gap between my 22" Dark Medium and the 20" K Custom Dark.
Eric when you have a chance can you weigh your 22" K Light Ride (grams or lb/oz is just fine by me)? Your existing K setup and sonic desires moving forward are eerily similar to mine and I'd love to try out a 22" Light as well. Thanks!

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I'm a Zildjian guy from way back (60's). Recently I was having trouble finding just the right cymbal sound for our 3-4 piece jazz/ blues band. I allowed myself outta the box I was playing in and shopped for cymbals regardless of brand. I made choice on sounds. Brand was no longer a variable.

I now use Zildjian 14" New Beat hats I bought used off Reverb, a Dream Bliss 16" crash, a Meinl Byzance Jazz series 21" ride with 6 rivets, and a thin 20” 1650g Xilxo West Coast model I got from Cymbal House located in Cincinnati area (across river in Covington KY to be exact). Their web site is http://www.cymbalhouse.com. They only sell Bosphorus, Istanbul Agop Mehmet, and Xilxo.

I'm mentioning all this because if you free yourself from prior bias and look for YOUR cymbal sound, you're likely to find it in many places other than Zildjian.

Mrcoffee

Dunno if you've bought anything yet (probably have...) but I grabbed a K Con 22 and absolutely loved... but it just didn't cut through the band. Returned it... unfortunately. The K Sweet will be better in rock situations. Cheers!
Finally decided to buy back the K Con 22 🤣 Also bought the Sweet 23 that I mix with the K Con on stage. LOVE the fact of having two rides on stage (2 crashables, 2 nice bells, 2 K sounds). How can you not love this. Life's great. Enjoy.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Finally decided to buy back the K Con 22 🤣 Also bought the Sweet 23 that I mix with the K Con on stage. LOVE the fact of having two rides on stage (2 crashables, 2 nice bells, 2 K sounds). How can you not love this. Life's great. Enjoy.
LOL nice. I like those K Con 22's and also the K Con Bounces... keeping my eye on them. I use 3 rides on stage as well currently, just trying to nail down the main "ride" in the setup. To match all it's brothers I just need to replace the Paiste, although it sounds really really good with the K's.
- 20" Paiste Traditionals Ride
- 20" K Custom Dark Ride
- 22" K Dark Medium Ride (the one I'm trying to find a lighter replacement for like ericT42 is)

Mrcoffee

Nice setup. Also hate mismatched brands and equipment. Got a Paiste setup and a Zildjian one. One last ride cymbal I'll get is the special dry 21in ride. Really love that earthy sound it has... And it'll be the last one I swear... lolll

Last edited:

556Cliff

556 Cliff Did the rivets improve the sound?
Other than the nice sizzle that the rivets added, the cymbal still sounds the same around the bell. Also, adding the rivets kind of prevents a full volume cymbal swell when using mallets.

I was fine with that though because I really just needed that cymbal to sizzle, there are just to many songs that benefit from it.

8Mile

Platinum Member
My 22" K Constantinople Medium Ride is my favorite cymbal I've ever played. I wouldn't use it outside of small-group acoustic music, though. It's a bed of beautiful sound for the music of a piano trio to rest comfortably on top of, but it's not going to cut through amplified music. And it has no bell sound that would be useful in that type of setting to speak of.

johnwesley

Silver Member
If you can't send me airfare to help you in person, my suggestion is the KCD. Good to have a crashable ride with stick definition. I use a 20" K heavy ride and though the crashability is not great, it sure has the stick I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong. It's crash is good, just a lot lower than the others in my set up.