Help! Ludwig Vintage Snare Identification

groovy

Hey everyone,

I picked up this snare the other day and I'm having a hard time figuring out what era it is from. It has the old Ludwig badge with no serial number, which I think means it was made sometime before 1963. I believe it is chrome over brass, it is pitted a bit on the outside and the inside looks brass colored (no date stamp). Obviously, the snares are not original.

Anyway, it sounds great and I am looking forward to incorporating it into my kit! If there are any Ludwig experts out there, I would appreciate your input. Maybe you could let me know if it is worth getting refinished too, has anyone had experience with that?

Thanks for your help. Here are some pictures:

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
My understanding is that chrome over brass doesn't pit. The pitting is caused by a failure of the chrome to completely bond to the Ludalloy (aluminium). So if there is pitting it's unlikely to be a brass shell. I could be wrong of course, but that is what I've been lead to believe.

That aside, you have a great drum regardless.

Last edited:

Strangelove

Gold Member
It is a 1960s era ludalloy Supraphonic, but I think someone has switched out the lugs to the tube type that you see on modern Black Beautys. A 60s era should have lugs like this:

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Yes, the lugs were switched out. Imperial lugs are standard on that drum.
It's a 60's Ludaloy shell.
You might be able to find the year on Ludwigs site under shell dates by the serial number.
It's a 60's though for sure, because of the type of muffler arm.

This was what I was going to do with a shell I got on eBay--P-86 and tubes.

Unfortunately, the shell was waaay out of round, so I sent it back.
The person actually had it back up for sale (knowing it's out of round) yesterday, but it's off now.

Your snare looks great, have fun with it!!

groovy

Thanks for all of the great info, guys. Sorry I didn't post a reply sooner, my computer has been on the fritz. Anyhow, based on your feedback, it looks like it is a 1960-1963 pre-serial Supraphonic with tube lugs. I really like the sound, I have been using it instead of my Yamaha Birch Absolute Custom, I like the sound of the Ludwig better!

Does anyone have any experience with refinishing one of these? Can it be done? Where should I take it and how much should I expect to spend? It is an awesome sounding snare, I hope I can get it to look as good as it sounds!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Does anyone have any experience with refinishing one of these? Can it be done? Where should I take it and how much should I expect to spend? It is an awesome sounding snare, I hope I can get it to look as good as it sounds!
Re-chroming would be a costly job mate......the overall cost won't make it worth it. Personally, I'd leave it. The ptting certainly won't affect the tone of the drum. I have a '66 and it's battle scarred........I'm kinda down with it's vintage look.

groovy

Good point, Pocket-Full-Of-Gold. I had a feeling it would be too costly to do. The finish isn't as bad as the pictures show, it's very difficult to see the pitting at all from a distance. I suppose since it already has the tubes, I could paint it and turn it into a Black Beauty!