Help Identify This Vintage Drum

robthetimekeeper

I got this drum as part of a cheap, low quality kit. The whole kit is re-covered in a cheap vinyl wrap. Bass drum has 6 lugs, floor tom has 5 lugs, but this 13" tom has 8. This tom looks like maple with re-rings and a die cast hoop. It is very different from the other drums.
Can anyone tell from the lugs or mount what make this drum might be?

Attachments

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
That looks like a Slingerland tom to me. Probably from the mid 60's because of the clear coated interior.
Does a magnet stick to the hoops? Do the hoops fold over toward the inside of the drum as you look at them from the top?

robthetimekeeper

No, magnet won't stick. Yes, hoop bends in. Only one hoop is original. The drum is actually 14 x 10.
I am going to take the wrap off and see what it looks like.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
,It is a Slingerland. Now that you tell me that is it is a 14" drum, the 8 lugs make sense.
The magnet won't stick to the hoop because it is a Slingerland chrome over brass Stick Saver hoop.

robthetimekeeper

Thanks Bob! I knew it was something special. The other drums it came with are some kind of generic walmart brand. It's funny how different drums get thrown together sometimes. I've gotten some killer snares with crappy kits before.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
If that's a Slingy tom,there should be a large M or P ink stamped inside the drum.It also appears to have had a badge at one time,which means it was made in or after 65.The rims are no doubt chrome over brass if a magnet won't stick.There should also be a date stamp,but sometimes,they were missing.Nice maple/ poplar/mahogany 3ply shell.

The M stamp means the outer ply was maple,to be a natural or painted finish.P means the outer ply was likely mahogany and was ment for a pearl wrap.

Steve B

opentune

Platinum Member
about the badge, indeed it had one
see the small hole inside, on the left hand side of shell of pic 1.
it looks gouged to get the badge out.

its a Slingerland, I recognize those screws, muffler, lugs, and quality of the shell. most MIJ imitations are not like that on the inside.

robthetimekeeper

about the badge, indeed it had one
see the small hole inside, on the left hand side of shell of pic 1.
it looks gouged to get the badge out.
You're right! I didn't even think of that. Ripping the badge off is worse than covering them in that horrible wrap. That low-down dirty SOB!!!

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Thanks Steve!
No ink stamp anywhere. What makes you say it appears to have had a badge?
That small hole in the shell,may have been where a badge and grommet were attached at one time.

It's kind of unusual not to have that P or M stamp.Maybe someone cleaned the ink stamp away.Great shells though.

Steve B