Help I bought a cracked cymbal off ebay

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Hello,

I just received a cymbal I bought off eBay, straight off I spotted the crack on the edge of the cymbal. The sellers description stated it was not cracked, however now I know the location of the crack you can actually see a suggestion of the crack in the original advert photos. I suspect I have been duped.

Anyone had experience like this, I have emailed the seller informing him of the unfortunate turn of events and asked for my money back.

Regards Captain Bash

HMNY

Silver Member
Have you contacted E-bay yet? I would reach out to them to register a complaint, or at least some means of recording it does not appear to be as described in the advert?

tamadrm

Platinum Member
If the seller says the cymbal wasn't cracked,in the auction description,and it actually was,then the item wasn't accruately described.Pay pal buyer protection will kick in,unless you used the "gift" feature,and if you did,you may be screwed.

How big is the crack?Does it effect the sound of the cymbal?If not,maybe the seller could give you a partial refund,and you get to keep the cymbal,if it's a small repairable crack.

Both paths of recourse,should be your decision.not the sellers.

Steve B

criz p. critter

Silver Member
I've had this happen maybe 5 times over my years of buying on ebay, due to everything from honest ignorance to full-on deception on the part of the sellers.

First thing to do is write them (like you did) and calmly and reasonably state your position. Make sure you do all your corresponding with the seller through ebay's Messages area, so everything will be saved by the system, in case it turns into a bad dispute, and you have to ask ebay to settle it. That's why I say act calmly and reasonably, because the way you act might be taken into account if it needs to be settled by ebay. Don't assume the seller is trying to rip you off. I could be that he honestly didn't know.

Tell the seller the cymbal was "not as described" and you want your money back. Even if the auction was specified as no returns accepted, you can probably get him to refund your money. If he initially declines to do it, follow up a couple of times, standing firm and getting more detailed: If you don't see any damage to the packaging, that proves the cymbal was cracked when it was shipped. You've got great supporting evidence in the picture, so save a copy of it. If the seller is any sort of a decent person, he will probably give in.

However, if he doesn't, that's when you get ebay to step in. Ebay will take a week or so (if I remember correctly... I've only had to get ebay involved once) and will most likely decide in your favor. If they do, I think you get a full refund, including shipping.

On the other hand, if the seller is a good guy and agrees to a refund, the usual thing is that you get stuck paying the postage one way. Only twice have I had the seller refund the item and the postage, once only after extreme wrangling and once because the seller was so nice. I know it doesn't seem right to have to pay anything at all, because you were not at fault, but that's basically just the price of doing business on ebay. Mark it up to experience, and on future auctions protect yourself by asking a lot of questions if the item isn't described in enough detail.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

criz p. critter

Silver Member
As Steve said, the last option is Paypal Buyer Protection. I haven't yet had to go there, but that guarantees you will get this settled. It's a total drag to deal with all this, but rest assured you will get your money back.

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Criz is dead right....

No need for confrontation at this stage as this may be genuine oversight.

Paypal protection covers you if the buyer won't sort it out.

When/if returning the item it's essential you send it back by recorded delivery !

bigiainw

Gold Member
I've had this happen maybe 5 times over my years of buying on ebay, due to everything from honest ignorance to full-on deception on the part of the sellers.

First thing to do is write them (like you did) and calmly and reasonably state your position. Make sure you do all your corresponding with the seller through ebay's Messages area, so everything will be saved by the system, in case it turns into a bad dispute, and you have to ask ebay to settle it. That's why I say act calmly and reasonably, because the way you act might be taken into account if it needs to be settled by ebay. Don't assume the seller is trying to rip you off. I could be that he honestly didn't know.

Tell the seller the cymbal was "not as described" and you want your money back. Even if the auction was specified as no returns accepted, you can probably get him to refund your money. If he initially declines to do it, follow up a couple of times, standing firm and getting more detailed: If you don't see any damage to the packaging, that proves the cymbal was cracked when it was shipped. You've got great supporting evidence in the picture, so save a copy of it. If the seller is any sort of a decent person, he will probably give in.

However, if he doesn't, that's when you get ebay to step in. Ebay will take a week or so (if I remember correctly... I've only had to get ebay involved once) and will most likely decide in your favor. If they do, I think you get a full refund, including shipping.

On the other hand, if the seller is a good guy and agrees to a refund, the usual thing is that you get stuck paying the postage one way. Only twice have I had the seller refund the item and the postage, once only after extreme wrangling and once because the seller was so nice. I know it doesn't seem right to have to pay anything at all, because you were not at fault, but that's basically just the price of doing business on ebay. Mark it up to experience, and on future auctions protect yourself by asking a lot of questions if the item isn't described in enough detail.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
From my recent experience of a similar issue, Ebay will pay the return postage, although my seller paid in the end.

criz p. critter

Silver Member
From my recent experience of a similar issue, Ebay will pay the return postage, although my seller paid in the end.
Yes, if you get them involved. But that takes a bit of work and time. They always tell you to try and work it out directly with the seller first, before escalating it into ebay's court. So in my experiences, when it seemed like it was just a misunderstanding, I was ok with paying the return postage. Only once--no wait, it's happened twice--when the seller was an out-and-out crook/liar/ahole, did I insist on them paying the postage both ways.

bigiainw

Gold Member
Yes, if you get them involved. But that takes a bit of work and time. They always tell you to try and work it out directly with the seller first, before escalating it into ebay's court. So in my experiences, when it seemed like it was just a misunderstanding, I was ok with paying the return postage. Only once--no wait, it's happened twice--when the seller was an out-and-out crook/liar/ahole, did I insist on them paying the postage both ways.
No, they offered to pay the postage out of the blue- all I did was open a dispute, but by that time the seller had offered to cover it, which he did. but then, he seemed to be an honourable man who was genuinely embarrassed about the damage to the cymbal he sent (not cracked, but had been dropped on its edge, leaving a flat spot/weak spot.

groove1

Silver Member
Dittos for Criz. I ran into a seller who made an "honest mistake" on a sale and he was
so pleased that I simply asked him about it that he bent over backwards to make things
right. I'd start with just informing him and see where that goes.