HELP! Have to choose between two deals.

eliot2901

I'm buying a ludwig classic maple off an online site, and my ideal finish is the natural lacquer, I really do like it a lot more than the other finishes. The twist is that any other finish comes with a free matching snare drum for 2000 dollars total. But the sales guy told me since he couldnt give me a free snare with the natural one he would sell me the natural one for 1,850. So would you go for your dream finish discounted 150 bucks? or go for another finish that's oretty cool with a free snare that's worth 520?

thanks

Camshaft

Go for your dream finish. You'll end up wishing you'd gone for what you really wanted if it's two days, two months, two years, or two decades down the line.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I'd want a bigger discount. If $150 off is his starting point, ask for more off. Be sure to mention that you're ONLY interested in the natural finish too. :)

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
I'd want a bigger discount. If $150 off is his starting point, ask for more off. Be sure to mention that you're ONLY interested in the natural finish too. :)
You might be able to talk him down another $50 to $150, but go in expecting to pay the $1850. That's still a great deal.

Groov-E

Silver Member
That is great advice. 150$ seems a little cheap for a CM snare, I would at leat try for another 150$. What is to be lost ?

Great kit by the way, you can't go wrong with a CM.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Definitely go with the finish you like but I do agree with Jimi, they should have a little more wiggle room in that deal. Maybe could he include a snare to substitute?

Never hurts to ask.

eliot2901

Definitely go with the finish you like but I do agree with Jimi, they should have a little more wiggle room in that deal. Maybe could he include a snare to substitute?

Never hurts to ask.
So I called again and asked if there was any chance that I could get more off it cause I decided I definitely wanted the natural finish, and he said he couldn't go any lower than 1,850 so still pretty good deal right? Basically only the natural finish doesn't come with a free snare I guess cause maybe the natural finish CM snares are of higher value? Anyway I think I'm going for that, I feel like I've heard CM snares aren't as amazing as the other drums in the kit so don't know if I should be so worked up about getting it. I do already have a ludwig acrolite I really like.

Superman

Gold Member
I'd go for your dream finish. I hate using matching snares anyway. But still, I agree with Jimi that he should be taking more off. Maybe try another dealer and shop around.

charliedrummer

If natural lacquer is truly your dream finish then don't settle for something else. Otherwise you'll always be second guessing yourself. I also agree with others that you should shop around. Take the $1850 quote you already have and see if another dealer will beat it.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Get the natural finish.

If you still want the snare, get it later.
You might find another snare you like just as much, or even more.
For this situation, I'd also go new, and not consider a used set.

IDDrummer

Platinum Member
Go with the finish you want. And don't knock the dealer for not giving a deeper discount. The free snare promotion is probably from Ludwig, so any discount he's giving is off his bottom line, I'd bet.

And as others have said, a snare will come along.

Last edited:

charliedrummer

MF is currently offering 15% off for President's Day. They have a 3-piece Ludwig Classic Maple in natural lacquer listed and with the discount it brings the price down to $1784. The bad news is that the kit won't be available until late March but this price knocks $66 off the quote you previously received. Maybe the other place with match or beat it.

You didn't mention what sizes you were looking at so I'm assuming you were referring to a 22/13/16 kit. MF also has a 20/12/14 in natural lacquer for $1614 with the discount.

Last edited:
T

The SunDog

Always get the color you want. You might be happy with a glitter or stain, but for that much money you shouldn't be happy. You should be giddy with joy when you look at it. Don't compromise.